Involved in accident - M4 - any witnesses please?

Hi all.

I was involved in an RTA on the M4 West bound, right on j8/9 yesterday at about 7.30am.

I was in lane 1, travelling at 56mph, in front approx. 2/3 lorry lengths ahead was an old P’reg Transit van, of which I was gaining slowly gaining on. I checked my o/s mirror and as expected was confronted by a stream of traffic in lane 2. Indicator on and check my mirror, looking for a space to pull out (or hopefully, someone let me out).

When, I looked back, I was shocked to see the Transit just stop dead in lane 1, right beside the on ramp, no hazards and only one brake lamp.

I hit the breaks, but at 44t and with a load of roof tiles on, I did not want to lock up, chance loosing/disturbing load, I could not go to the right, as lane 2 was solid or left, as the on ramp had joining traffic on and therefore collided with the rear of the van at about 20/25mph.

BEFORE certain members start the self rightous act, I know I was in the wrong, I hit a stationery vehicle from behind.

But, in my defence, this driver stopped dead in lane 1, with no traffic in front of him and for no apparent reason. This all happened so quick.

When we made it to the hard shoulder, his reason for stopping - ’ I had a puncture and didn’t know what to do ’

There were numerous vehicles around, did anyone on here see anything please?

I have a broken fog light, the van has no rear lights, doors, bumper etc. My boss is jumping, as this was the last day before he sold out to another company.

Thanks

John

JOHN Sorry to hear about the prang,can,t help was no where near you but what did the police say, did you take any pictures of the accident area,
what about the cameras any chance of asking if they have any footage that you may be able to use in your defense.fromthe motorway contol
station,

sorry can’t help but I’ll bump it to the top :laughing:

Sorry mate I wasn’t anywhere near you either, I hope you get everything sorted out. :cry: Let us know how you get on.

cornish trucker:
Hi all.

When we made it to the hard shoulder, his reason for stopping - ’ I had a puncture and didn’t know what to do ’

John

God save us from cretins like this. When are they going to teach people how to use the roads properly.
God help him if it had been a steer axle blow out at speed, he would be dead.

Can’t help you John, rarely down that way these days, glad there were no injuries involved, and you had no chance to prevent this incident happening.

Thanks to all so far.

The Police were not interested as there were no injuries, even after I pointed out, that there was 5 people in a 3 seat Transit panel van! Details were exchanged, nothing heard to date.

Brit Pete great idea, about motorway cctv, will try Highways Agency for that.

Thanks again

John

fill in the paperwork and forget about it
[zb] happens
as long as your happy that you did your best

You must’ve known that’d go…L.:wink:

Very rare I get on the M4 too so like others, I’m afraid I wasn’t there to see anything either :frowning: .

Don’t blame yourself John, I’m sure that if it had been any of us on here the exact same thing would have happened; you just don’t expect that kind of thing to happen do you :question: .

I’d be surprised if you get any joy out of the HA. Their “factory” response is “the cameras weren’t pointing in that direction”.

If it were me I would write to T&D, CM and Trucking telling the story and appealing for witnesses. It might just get you somewhere. However, even if someone did back you up and say that the van stopped suddenly in the inside lane, the fact remains that you hit a stationary vehicle from behind and you know as well as the rest of us how the plod like to ram that fact down our necks.

Chin up and try to put it behind you, this is what insurance companies are paid for. Sickening though, I know. :frowning:

I have seen a couple of “accidents” waiting to happen over the past few weeks,

Junction 28, A38, M1 and the road is flowing nicely, green light from Derby towards the M1 north and this dipstick stops suddenly halfway round the roundabout, because the sliproad on the left has a traffic light showing red. It is the light for traffic on the roundabout. Maybe that is acceptable, and I know now to watch out for somebody stopping on a green light :open_mouth:

My other near miss was heading along the A13 towards the M25 near Barking, 3 lane road, 40mph limit with plenty of cash machines.

The next thing this dipstick jumps on the brakes causing me to swerve round him. He had seen a pedestrian crossing on the slip road and the light was red!

Both of these incidents were caused by possibly badly sited traffic signals, but it shows that people cannot read the road

Wheel Nut:
I have seen a couple of “accidents” waiting to happen over the past few weeks,

Tell me about it…

Northbound M6 running convoy, truck in front does a quick tuck into the 2nd lane, only to reveal stationary traffic dead ahead :imp: Luckily I was running empty.

M25/M4 junction ccw. Line of traffic filtering off for the M4 but what does that car do in front of me ? she decides to stop in the 2nd lane and wait for someone to let her in… Just managed to swerve around her :unamused:

If your gaffa is worth his salt Cornish he should just chalk one up and let it go at that…

I’ve seen an old woman on the A14 stop in the nearside lane to let a car down the slip road in front of her, luckliy the container driver behind managed not to hit her.

I’ve also come to a roundabout on the slip lane only to find a car waiting for the adjacent traffic lights to change.

I can never understand these people who just stop in the traffic lanes when something happens. Surely logic says, get over to the hard shoulder asap.

Happened on the M6 last week, 2 miles of queues and found a people carrier stranded in lane 2. Luckily the Highways Agency soon turned up and dragged it over to the shoulder in front of me.

Calv

Calv