Advice on an accident/incident

Hey all just wondering if some people can give me some advice as I was involved in an incident today , nout major, basically I pulled up at a set off traffic light in the right hand lane (left hand lane was for left turn only/bus lane) I was in a artic with a double deck trailer, I was fully in my lane and a bus pulls along side me, I glance over and see it looks pretty narrow between the two of us , so as the light turns green I let the bus set off first and then I followed, as I set off I was watching my o/s mirror to make sure not to hit the traffic lights with the curtains on the trailer, as it was getting a bit tight I moved slighty over to the left , in doing so the bottom of the mirror arm collided with the side of the bus causing a small dent to the bus and a few scrapes to the mirror arm nothing serious, once the contact was made I slowed down and moved back right and the bus pulled into the bus stop (im guessing to drop off/pick up some passengers) and I carried on a little bit further up the road so I wasn’t blocking it (so I could pull the mirror back in so I could see down the side of the truck) after a few minutes the women pulls up behind me and comes over saying that it was my fault as she is in the bus lane so she has priority, I was saying to her at the end of the day I was there first and it was obviously not wide enough for the both of us so she should of waited , she was having none of it saying it was all my fault, couple of minutes later 1 of the passengers gets off the bus and starts waving a security card about saying he is a high security guard (whatever that is) and he is a witness and starts telling me its my fault that I should of waited. Basically I have to fill in an accident report form tomorrow and no doubt have a word with the TM, was just wondering who would you say is in the wrong? ive had a look at the highway code online and it says , you should give way to buses if it is safe to do so (nothing to do with that they have priority) , ill see if I can get a pic up of the said junction. cheers Nathan.

in the top picture , I have highlighted in red where I was positioned (on the left) and the bus stop is on the right. the picture on the bottom is a better view of the junction me obviously being in the right hand lane (I cant remember exactly if the road markings have been changed so it now says bus lane , but I think it is just the sign post on the left that indicates only buses can stay in the left hand lane whilst carrying straight ahead.

It doesn’t really matter who was there first, if you hit the bus with your mirror it’s your fault, if the bus hit your mirror it’s the bus driver who’s at fault, simple really :wink:

If it was my mirror, then it would be the fault of the bus driver, regardless of what actually happened :laughing:

Good luck :wink:

The bus made your life unnecessarily difficult by squeezing along side you, but If it was as tight as you said it was, I’d have waited til the bus had moved away and if there was any collision then the bus driver would have been at fault.

I’d just fill the accident form out as you say it happened and then it’ll probably go as a 50/50, you say he hit you and he say you hit him. No damage on your motor to fix and the bus can pay to fix its own dent, job done.

here is a pic with the sign post , funny enough it was one of those buses in the pic that it was with

Personally I’d put it down to experience and move on. It was a minor bump with minimal damage and more importantly, no injuries. Fill in your accident report and forget about it. To me it sounds as if your pride has taken a bigger hit than you mirror did.

newmercman:
It doesn’t really matter who was there first, if you hit the bus with your mirror it’s your fault, if the bus hit your mirror it’s the bus driver who’s at fault, simple really :wink:

If it was my mirror, then it would be the fault of the bus driver, regardless of what actually happened :lol:

Good luck :wink:

that’s what im thinking haha :stuck_out_tongue: , and it was a women driving, when I think back now I should of just waited for her to just get clear but nevermind its done now lol

Sounds like you were at fault to be honest, but personally i wouldnt worry about it, let your boss and the insurance company sort it out, its hardly the end of the world, we’ve all done it… I wrote off a parked car right outside the yard of all places, a couple of months ago, opps lol… These things happen, move on and next time look in the other mirror :laughing: .

Saaamon:
Sounds like you were at fault to be honest, but personally i wouldnt worry about it, let your boss and the insurance company sort it out, its hardly the end of the world, we’ve all done it… I wrote off a parked car right outside the yard of all places, a couple of months ago, opps lol… These things happen, move on and next time look in the other mirror :laughing: .

haha next time ill take up the 2 lanes, ■■■■ em lol

Smoggie89:

Saaamon:

haha next time ill take up the 2 lanes, [zb] em lol

If thats what you think you need to just do it, no need to make life any harder than it is.

Most insurance companies will not want their customers to admit liability so most customers don’t. Personally I’d have taken some of the bus lane to deny them the room to come alongside and let them wait till you have cleared the junction, more so since there is no right turn and a yellow box markings. Try not to lose to much sleep and chalk it up to experience.

Sounds to me like the bus driver could be in the last chance saloon - she protesteth too much.

She could make a habit of this weekly for all you know. Some bus jockeys are prats.

These things happen - all the time (unless your name is Bking, of course) :laughing: and has been said don’t lose sleep over it.

Trucknet CSI will be along shortly anyway to give their final verdict, so stick your hands out ready for the thumb screws to be applied. You naughty man. :laughing: :laughing:

And Saaamon, you kept that quiet :unamused:

[/quote]
haha next time ill take up the 2 lanes, [zb] em lol
[/quote]
That’s exactly what I do ! I was told to do that when doing my class 1 training (Commandeer the road) you are the biggest thing on the road & pay more road tax, YOU deserve to be there more than anyone lol
I believe it was a ■■■ 4 tat , the silly cow shouldn’t be driving a bus in the first place (joke) but she is just as much as a professional driver as you & should have seen the danger & hung back, the same as you should have kept your line or also hung back & let her hit you with her tail swing.
Tell it how it is & put it down to experience & treat everyone else on the road as idiots that could do anything at anytime , then your be ready for anything !!!

Personally I’d be more concerned that a man is actually walking loose telling people that he’s a high security guard! For future reference if confronted by any character like this chap a quick stiff fingered jab to the throat followed by kicking until he stops moving should sort this sort of thing out.

Wasn’t it you that went off to work in the quarry’s ? What happened with that?
And I would say it was the bus drivers fault, 1 because it was a women and 2 because it was a bus and 3 it was a women driving a bus!!

FarnboroughBoy11:
And I would say it was the bus drivers fault, 1 because it was a women and 2 because it was a bus and 3 it was a women driving a bus!!

I never considered this.

Next time, if you think it looks tight and a bus or whatever else comes down the other lane, stay put and let them move off and hit you. That way you were there first, they moved in to the position and then moved on whilst you were stationary and caused the damage. Also think about getting one of those roadhawk cameras to back yourself up. Even if its only forward facing, it’d still show you as being stationary should this happen again.

FarnboroughBoy11:
Wasn’t it you that went off to work in the quarry’s ? What happened with that?

haha good 1 , and yes it was mate I got the boot couple of weeks ago for posting a picture of 1 of the machines on Facebook lol

Dont really need to spend hundreds on a road hawk setup any modern phone be it iPhone or android can be used as a dash cam.

I use my android phone with a 180 degree lens attachment to record my driving. It records in 2 minute chunks and automatically saves footage if there is more than 3g of movement, as in a crash or you can tap the screen to save it right away.

App I use is daily roads and the lens was £3 on eBay.

From your description, it sounds as if you were at fault - so reword it on the accident form :wink:

You were at the line 1st, but then you didn’t move off until after the bus had, but then collided with the bus with your mirror, that’s how you’ve wrote it, now read what I’ve put and come to your own conclusions.

A truck will beat a bus from the line to about 5mph, then it’s toast, get that 5mph in, then let the bus struggle, or just be patient, if I think something’s tight, I just don’t bother, I’ll block roads, junctions and anything else until it’s safe for me to manoeuvre, usually caused by muppet drivers over-shooting stop lines at lights etc.