Crash!

Just witnessed right in front of me a crash on the M6 and it got me thinking; we’ve all seen and had :blush: low speed mishaps but how many of us have witnessed an “at speed” accident first hand? We see the aftermath every day but I reckon that’s only the third I’ve seen in 30 years driving.

Seen one hit the central reservation at speed about 5 yrs ago all sorts of dust, mud and bits of car were everywhere, it was all quite surreal to be honest, only one I can think of though.

what happened maoster??

One of our drivers had the one with the German trucker who had been up 20+ hours and did about 15 hours driving where he killed a pensioner in an 8 vehicle accident on the M25 clockwise at the Thurrock/Tilbury junction happen right behind him.
The fella that was killed was in the car smack bang behind our wagon. Google "German trucker jailed for fatal accident and watch the video. It’s a wonder there weren’t anymore killed.

coreysboys:
what happened maoster??

S/B M6 nr Middlewich, cruise set at 86k’s and I’m slowly catching a lorry up, black beemer passes me in lane two and I move out to overtake the lorry, I can see two more lorries in front of him with the front one being a foreign curtainsider. The beemer in the meantime even though it had a clear road ahead has backed off and positioned herself right under the foreign guys passenger mirror and is matching his speed.

I noticed Jonny catching a wobble box up quickly and we can all guess what happened next! As soon as I saw his indicator come on I wanted to shout NO!, but the inevitable happened. We all came to a standstill, she climbed out of her (now across the front of his truck) car apparently uninjured, a few more vehicles stopped on the h/s, my dashcam wasn’t plugged in so I figured I’d just be in the way so I carried on.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Google "German trucker jailed for fatal accident and watch the video.

Dont need to google it. I can still recall the video after watching it last year a couple of times as im sure anyone else who saw it will

I’ve had a car aquaplane in front of me on the M40 doing 70mph. He hit the central res then spun a couple of times crossing the carriageway and going backwards down an embankment into a tree. I thought the passenger was dead at first byt she was unconcious for a few minutes.
There has been a few others but not as bad as that.
Spending many hours a day on the road I see it as part and parcel of the job and witnessing things like that will happen sooner or later.

I’ve never whintessed one at speed, just a biker rear ended by a van less than 10mph

I’ve seen a few, hmm quite a few now i think about it, but one sticks out in what loosely passes for my mind.

Few years ago now, wet road M6 Spaguetti jct, i’m going North about tea time, only going slow cos of heavy traffic as you’d expect at 5pm.

Southbound the road has stopped about 300 yds after the onbound slip road ends at jct 6.

Every one southbound is slowing down nicely, except for one Iveco artic bulker who was going like hell (probably thought it was 5am on a clear dry Sunday and a deserted road), bloke in Rover car is slowing down for the traffic jam, bloke in Iveco right up his arse has what appears to be all wheels locked and its having no effect at all on the wet road, hits Rover up arse which turns the car sideways across his bumper, i then locked eyes with the poor sod in that car as he was carried helpless to be rammed into the jam up sideways on the front of that bloody tipper…the driver of which no doubt swanned off unscathed into the sunset.

God above knows what happened to the poor bugger in that car, but i’ll never forget him.

I did earlier this year - going CW through the bell common tunnel, when s car in the outer lane beside me started spinning and coming over towards me. I braked, and he went in front if me, then hit the tunnel wall and bounced back into the side of me, bent my mudguard stay, smashed the rear light, destroyed the pallet box on the trailer and ripped the curtain. Managed to close the m25 for a few minutes, I was fine, until I got to the a12, then started shaking uncontrollably for a few minutes. Bloke in the car was ok, although his car was smashed in on all four sides. Got praised by the police for my actions, then got a bill from connect plus for repairs to the road infrastructure! I wrote a huge stinkagram back to them, and got a very nice apologetic letter back, admitting their mistake and hoping that I was ok!

the maoster:

coreysboys:
what happened maoster??

S/B M6 nr Middlewich, cruise set at 86k’s and I’m slowly catching a lorry up, black beemer passes me in lane two and I move out to overtake the lorry, I can see two more lorries in front of him with the front one being a foreign curtainsider. The beemer in the meantime even though it had a clear road ahead has backed off and positioned herself right under the foreign guys passenger mirror and is matching his speed.

I noticed Jonny catching a wobble box up quickly and we can all guess what happened next! As soon as I saw his indicator come on I wanted to shout NO!, but the inevitable happened. We all came to a standstill, she climbed out of her (now across the front of his truck) car apparently uninjured, a few more vehicles stopped on the h/s, my dashcam wasn’t plugged in so I figured I’d just be in the way so I carried on.

That’s got to be the most common cause of accident on our roads today, foreign or not.

It’s usually women bless 'em, I’m not sexist in any way but stay away from the dangerous truck FFS ladies.

me 56mph A1M/m18 38T TIPPER 1996 car pull off the H/S from a standing start girl died in the back :cry: :cry: and the other person in the back had some real bad leg injuries

burnley-si:
me 56mph A1M/m18 38T TIPPER 1996 car pull off the H/S from a standing start girl died in the back :cry: :cry: and the other person in the back had some real bad leg injuries

That’s terrible mate, I feel for you. You can kinda live with it when you kill the idiot responsible for the accident, but to kill an innocent must be hard to bear.

the maoster:

burnley-si:

That’s terrible mate, I feel for you. You can kinda live with it when you kill the idiot responsible for the accident, but to kill an innocent must be hard to bear.

she was 16, her uncle driving, and he was ban from driving /no tax/no insurance and he got off with death by dangrous driving :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: all becaus ehe had his car crushed and the lawers didnt get to see it before hand :unamused: :unamused:

We’ve had 2 more involved in fatals. One was at a set of lights down London, they’ve gone to green so he’s set off just as an old fella has decided to walk across the road (this was before the near side windscreen mirrors) fully freighted with sheet steel he only realised something was up when he heard the screams. He felt the front axle and lift axle drive over something but thought it was a a bump in the road, tragically it was the old fella crushed to death under 44 tonne of truck :frowning:
Another one of ours was driving up the A614 near Mansfield goes straight on at an island and a woman in a focus coming the other way suddenly comes across onto his side of the road and hits him head on. She died instantly and he says he can still remember her head smashing against the windscreen. Accident investigators found nothing wrong with the car and. Couldn’t rule out it she took her own life.

Friend of mine had the same, she was driving her coach and a car swerved deliberately
into the front of her, combined speed of around 75 mph. It was an old fella driving who had decided to end it all with his poor wife in the passenger seat. She died, he lived.

About five years ago I witnessed a car hit the offside wheel of a potato harvester which was travelling the opposite way. The car cannoned past me, as I was following behind three of these harvesters which were being towed by tractors on the A49 near Craven Arms. I looked in the mirror and saw that the car had ended up broadside across the road.
I pulled up and rang the emergency services, who were a bit long winded,whilst the potato harvesters carried on, even though it was the middle one that the car hit.
To cut a long story short, five cars coming down the A49 collided with or hit one another, because this car was across the road.The driver of the original car was dead at the wheel.
The police were appealing for witnesses to this accident in the local press. So I contacted the police and said I reported the accident, why have you not contacted me. They sent an officer to my home and he spent two hours taking statements etc.
I attended the inquest of the driver of the car who had hit the harvester. I had to give my version of events first, followed by each drivers turn out of the other vehicles, of which several had sustained injuries.
The traffic officer and accident investigator each came up with the theory that the car was travelling to fast. I disagreed with this, as the car was not going fast when I saw it
Not one of those, so called experts had the gumption to realise that hitting that tyre on the harvester had cannoned the car up the road, and the driver was probably unconscious at the wheel The harvester drivers didn’t have to attend, even though their vehicles were not under ■■■■■■ and they were over the white line.

Last year was 100 yards behind a caravan that over turned and went up the embankment just before 29a and on the M1.

Bout 6 months ago I saw a car start to repeatedly 360 in the road works by spaghetti. Only just missed it, and the arctic behind only just missed me. He gave me a “That was close” look as he went past a mile down the road :grimacing:

Seen a car swerve from outside lane down the embankment on the M5 in Exeter. That was about 20 years ago though. Seen some minor rear end shunts, nothing major.

M40 southbound coming up to A34 slip.
I’m in lane one in standing traffic. Black BMW hurtling down lane 2. Swerves into lane three and disappears from my view behind an artic. Second later, he is flying over a car 5 or 6 cars in front and lands on roof on verge. Elderly couple. Not sure how it happened, but cruise control was mentioned. And there was a mondeo or megane with back end damage which pulled up on shoulder in front of it.

Silver_Surfer:

the maoster:

coreysboys:
what happened maoster??

That’s got to be the most common cause of accident on our roads today, foreign or not.

It’s usually women bless 'em, I’m not sexist in any way but stay away from the dangerous truck FFS ladies.

Why?
If your changing lanes its down to you to check before you pull out.

rambo19:

Silver_Surfer:

the maoster:

coreysboys:
what happened maoster??

Why?
If your changing lanes its down to you to check before you pull out.

True, but I can never understand why people sit next to a lorry, matching it’s speed. Try doing it on a motorbike, your in his dirty air being buffeted all over the place & if a super single lets go next to you, you’re gonna know about it.