Crash!

10 years ago, one Saturday lunch time when I was on my first ever shift on an artic, the traffic had slowed on the M11 in the direction I was traveling, and this was because a police car had somebody pulled over on the hard shoulder. The other side sported its usual fare of rubber neckers, but one in particular rubber necked just a little too much because I saw him swerve to avoid hitting the vehicle in front, go up the embankment, and then roll several times back down it and land on his roof in the inside lane. What got me was his utter panic in his attempt to get out whilst upside down. It’s still really vivid in my mind.

Was going into a contraflow in my car (three lanes into 2) on the m1 years ago. It was a fifty limit and everbody was a bit too close. I hung back a bit as I sensed something was about to happen after a guy in a golf gti went flying past in the soon to disappear outside lane. Just as he shot across into lane one it ground to a halt, the car in front of him swerved into middle lane and he then piled into the back of a stationary truck in lane one. That was two cars in front of me, the car in front and me and the car behind stopped ok. Then a guy in a cavalier hit the Saab behind me and pushed it into the back of my beloved Golf GTI. There was not a mark on the Saab, but my Golf got mildly mangled. The Cavalier driver gets out of the car and says “it alright mine is a company car” I could not see any benefit myself.

A few months ago saw a truck suddenly swerve and take out three cars and plough through the grassy bank in belguim,onto the opposite carriageway.
That was surreal seeing an artic take off into mid air.

5th June this year. 03:40am. M1 Northbound J29A - J30.
DHL doing 50 ran into the back of broken down UPS. Watched it play out in front of me.
Nearly 3 hours to cut him free.

Ian58:
DHL doing 50 ran into the back of broken down UPS. Watched it play out in front of me.

Lucky the DHL driver lived,

I have seen three fatals as a bus driver, the first was a kid who had nicked his brothers ford Mexico he was restoring, he rolled it and it came to stop upside down in front of my bus after hitting a couple of walls, the passenger was in shock and wanted to do a runner the driver had the steering column embedded in his chest (it was one of those old small sporty wheels) the ambulance guy thanked me for staying with him but he was dead, I just saw him still bleeding and he eyes open and hoped for the best so talked to him.
I have seen many pedestrian accidents an few fatal incidents.
And very sadly I was involved as a bus driver in a fatal in 2003 non blameworthy where a young girl ran out in front of me, she was dead before she stopped rolling, I knew some of her family too :frowning:

I’ve seen too many …

When on Walkers me and another driver ran together most nights.
In 2 weeks we came across 2 fatal’s and within a month of that 4 multi pile ups :open_mouth: I blamed him for the delays

Nick, was that Walkers forklift movers?
If so how long ago, we use them when busy.

Drift:

na mate the crisp’s

nick2008:

Drift:

na mate the crisp’s

Oh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Easy mistake to make :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Drift:

nick2008:

Drift:

na mate the crisp’s

Oh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Easy mistake to make :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

yeah the heaviest thing we carried was a lunch box and flask :wink:

Many years ago a notorious tipper company was driving unbelievably close to my rear end, then went for the overtake on a bad bend. The inevitable happened Lost it on the bend up the embankment rolled driver got flung out the window. Absolutely horrible to see was a queue behind me wanting to kill driver turned out he had been driving like a maniac all the way down the M8 from Edinburgh . Turned out he was drunk was called to court but pleaded guilty last minute. My Mrs said never seen me so white.

Does anyone else remember the poor sky diver about 20 years ago, who landed on the Orwell bridge and got squashed by a truck? How the hell do you plan for that?

I’ve witnessed a few fatals, many as a kid as we lived right next to the A40 dual carriageway near Ross-on-Wye and have assisted with many because of that.

As far as my driving career is concerned thankfully no fatal but a couple of dodgy ones, the first was SB on the M5 in January 2012 (I think), opposite the Wiseman’s building at J24, a car spun out in lane 3 about 400yds in front of me and went off backwards into the field. I pulled over and went running off after the car expecting at the very least some injuries. As it turned out the only way to him from where I’d hopped over the fence was through a damned bramble patch, I pushed through only to find him sat by the car smoking a ■■■. I quickly ascertained he wasn’t injured (unlike me with blood streaming down my legs) and there was no fuel leaking so left him to it and dialled 999. They were there within 5 minutes. Took the bloke off in the ambulance, chatting to the rozzers and looking at the car it was only then we saw the fence wood was lodged in the back of his head restraint. Had it gone through we would have been dealing with an almost certain fatal.

The second was witnessing a car travelling NB (I was sb) just before J21 on the M5 and seeing them spin the hit the central barrier full on sending it across the southbound carriageway and some of it clattering up the front and over the roof of my Scania. Thankfully no damage to me and by the time I could pull over I was a good 600 yards past them. Called it in, and was told to stay until I saw the blues turn up then could carry on. No idea if anyone was injured but it caused delays for several hours apparently.

I myself have been hit on my bicycle at about 40mph, thrown 30 metres around a roundabout and thankfully lived to tell the tale, ■■■■■■■ hurt though I can tell you and without my glasses and helmet I would almost certainly be dead or blind.

Ian58:

The driver of the dhl truck got brought into sheffield northern general hosp by air when i was in ,it was a code red and according to the nurses he was in a fatal state :frowning: :frowning:

seth 70:
The driver of the dhl truck got brought into sheffield northern general hosp by air when i was in ,it was a code red and according to the nurses he was in a fatal state :frowning: :frowning:

Seth, from a report in the local paper a week later he was in a stable condition. As I was the only witness the police said they would need to speak to me again if he died.
I really hope that no news is good news.

blindspot■■? never heard of that■■?..most drivers who are switched on wouldn’t fill the blindspot of a truck whether right or left hand drive…bur inevitably its a wifey txting on facebook etc that gets hit as they just haven’t any concept of reality when driving regarding trucks apart from anything else. defensive driving and common sense springs to mind…

rambo19:

Silver_Surfer:

the maoster:

coreysboys:
what happened maoster??

S/B M6 nr Middlewich, cruise set at 86k’s and I’m slowly catching a lorry up, black beemer passes me in lane two and I move out to overtake the lorry, I can see two more lorries in front of him with the front one being a foreign curtainsider. The beemer in the meantime even though it had a clear road ahead has backed off and positioned herself right under the foreign guys passenger mirror and is matching his speed.

I noticed Jonny catching a wobble box up quickly and we can all guess what happened next! As soon as I saw his indicator come on I wanted to shout NO!, but the inevitable happened. We all came to a standstill, she climbed out of her (now across the front of his truck) car apparently uninjured, a few more vehicles stopped on the h/s, my dashcam wasn’t plugged in so I figured I’d just be in the way so I carried on.

That’s got to be the most common cause of accident on our roads today, foreign or not.

It’s usually women bless 'em, I’m not sexist in any way but stay away from the dangerous truck FFS ladies.

Why?
If your changing lanes its down to you to check before you pull out.

dieseldog999:
blindspot■■? never heard of that■■?..most drivers who are switched on wouldn’t fill the blindspot of a truck whether right or left hand drive…bur inevitably its a wifey txting on facebook etc that gets hit as they just haven’t any concept of reality when driving regarding trucks apart from anything else. defensive driving and common sense springs to mind…

rambo19:

Silver_Surfer:

the maoster:

coreysboys:
what happened maoster??

S/B M6 nr Middlewich, cruise set at 86k’s and I’m slowly catching a lorry up, black beemer passes me in lane two and I move out to overtake the lorry, I can see two more lorries in front of him with the front one being a foreign curtainsider. The beemer in the meantime even though it had a clear road ahead has backed off and positioned herself right under the foreign guys passenger mirror and is matching his speed.

I noticed Jonny catching a wobble box up quickly and we can all guess what happened next! As soon as I saw his indicator come on I wanted to shout NO!, but the inevitable happened. We all came to a standstill, she climbed out of her (now across the front of his truck) car apparently uninjured, a few more vehicles stopped on the h/s, my dashcam wasn’t plugged in so I figured I’d just be in the way so I carried on.

That’s got to be the most common cause of accident on our roads today, foreign or not.

It’s usually women bless 'em, I’m not sexist in any way but stay away from the dangerous truck FFS ladies.

Why?
If your changing lanes its down to you to check before you pull out.

Exactly right any driver should check and double check before changing lanes especially their blindspots.
Why do some always want to blame the dopey car driver.
They are not as switched on as us professional truck drivers that never do anything wrong! Are they?.. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Ian58:

seth 70:

Seth, from a report in the local paper a week later he was in a stable condition. As I was the only witness the police said they would need to speak to me again if he died.
I really hope that no news is good news.

I was in a ward bed m8 when the air ambulance brought him in,thats all the nurses said when i asked because they are not allowed to say owt about patients ,your guess is as good as mine m8,only the worst bones fractures and on bones go into sng though so he was in good hands,he didnt die m8 i know that…im back next month for a checkup on the bone ward so i will ask.