International Driving Permit advice please

Hello

I am due to do some international driving next week with the end destination being Romania…being new to this I am told I will require a International DRiving Permit.

Been to the Post office but they say it is the RAC AA etc who do them does anyone know please

:unamused:

You can get them from the RAC or AA, although I have never been asked for one, In Romania, Turkey or even Africa. Your normal licence should suffice,

Romania will be in Europe next year anyway

Cheers Wheelnut

Have keyed in the destination on the RAC “European Travel” section and it does not mention having to have one…just says your driving licence

:confused:

thecoder0:
Cheers Wheelnut

Have keyed in the destination on the RAC “European Travel” section and it does not mention having to have one…just says your driving licence

:confused:

I was in Rumania last month and as long as you have one of the new photo card licences you are OK. It’s only if you have the old paper green type that you need a IDP.

This is what the AA have to say on Romania.

"ROMANIA (South East Europe)

Drinking and driving: Strictly forbidden. Nil percentage of alcohol allowed in drivers’ blood. Driving Licence can be suspended for a maximum of 90 days or Prison sentence for offenders.

Driving licence: Minimum age at which UK licence holder may drive temporarily imported car and/or motorcycle (for up to 90 days) 18. NOTE UK driving licences that do not incorporate a photograph must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP)."

Safe travelling

Don

Cheers Don

Not been before driving in convoy out of dover any idea what port we will land in and do you have any tips while over there please.

thecoder0:
Cheers Don

Not been before driving in convoy out of dover any idea what port we will land in and do you have any tips while over there please.

Can’t be much help I’m afraid, been retired 20 years and now just potter around in my motorhome. We came from Turkey through Bulgaria into Romania.

Most of the old eastern European border scams have know stopped as most of the countries are either in the EU or are about to join.

The following costs were incurred coming into Romania

Disinfection tax. We had to pay Euro 9 for the privilege of driving through
a trough of muddy looking water.

Ecology tax. Euro 5 (Was this a promise not to throw rubbish)

Vignette. Euro 6. Road tax for one month. Make sure you keep the receipt for
the vignette because you will have to produce it before you leave the
country. The vignette itself does not indicate how long it is valid for,
only the receipt shows this.

These costs were for a 3500 kg motorhome with a truck you could/will be paying more.

Safe travelling

Don

Cheers Don I appreciate the info you never retire in this game the experience from yourself and some of the other Veterans on here is invaluable to the newewr guys.

thanks again :laughing:

Coder, I remember you posting a while back asking about euro work. Never mind about licences, make sure the first thing you pack is a small gas burner, a kettle and a mug lol
Pop into Millets and buy one of those small blue canister gas burners ( I have one that is size CV470), get a kettle and a mug. Also a 20 litre water container. You can always manage on bread and cheese if abroad and you don’t like the food, but nothing beats a cuppa first thing in the morning. I use QTea as it saves having to carry milk and I use sweetners to save carrying sugar (attracts strange flying fings). You can nick a knife, fork and spoons on the ferry (looks innocent)

DO NOT FORGET toiletpaper, Water canister,boil yout waterbefore useing if you are out side Hungary just to be safe, take what medicene for headaches etc with you , Keep your valubles hidden ,the rise in gas attacks ondrivers has increased,(look at the post on gas attacks here) take some reading matter,
Look at the useful points forum there are some very good tips there,
MAKE sure that you have some form ofcover in case of a accident and you require medical help or need to be brought back to the UK,WHY because the costs will be very high if used, Copy your personal documents and keep these at home , Takea look at the germanposts this has also some good tips which you can use. have a nice trip and take plenty of pictures for your dairy,