ROMANIA

Who’s been? And gimme the lowdown. :sunglasses:

Limeyphil is your man here. :wink:

:laughing: Nah…I’ll take my chances!

I haven’t been for years but my ex boss went a few months ago and he said the roads are still below western standard, and it’s still not really safe to park outside of secure parking areas, but all of the long queues at the border no longer happen and the infrastructure, petrol stations, telephones etc has massively improved.

Not been since they joined the EU so not sure on the border controls.
Roads are rough as hell in most places even the main carriage ways. Night time driving is bad as there were no street lights and you get plenty of horse and carts as well as usual vehicles with no lights on. Vehicle breakins are wide spread as well as gassing drivers whilst they sleep, had a mate who is a member on here who was gassed whilst asleep in his cab and everything taken, he didnt have a clue until he woke up next morning with a bad head.
Where are you heading for in Romania ?

Bucharest probably…Not sure if I have the gig yet. It’s between me and the other new guy.

If it was me and knowing what you driving I would hope the other guy gets it, as Harry has said its not safe to park away from the so called secure truckstops unless you can get into the companies yard. I would imagine the customs compound is still open even if they have joined the EU, for traffic traveling further east, I would head for there and hope although you will not be using the customs that they will allow you to park overnight.

I’m kind of iffy about doing it TBH. But if needs must! :confused:

Basically, it’s like driving through the world’s biggest diddycoy camp. :wink:

Dont get me wrong its not that bad a place ive been there and never had a problem but best beware of the pitfalls and not thing of it as just going to the better countries. One thing is that it is/was alot cheaper than wetsrn euro countries for food and drink…and oh yes…the women out there ar GORGEOUS :wink: :wink: :wink:

I know it’s like most bad places…If you look for trouble and don’t use your noggin. You could end up ■■■■■■■

Yes, I would go there again if I was asked to, I wouldn’t describe it as dangerous as such, you just have to be a little more careful and cautious than in some other countries.

Same here Harry I suppose once youve been a couple of times you have a better idea. The biggest advice I would give is try not to drive at night for the reasons given above, I say that because knowing your in a van will probably be day and nighting it to get there so try and plan your journey that you will driving in Rumo during the day even if that means parking up in Hungary and having a proper sleep.
Have you planned a route yet if you do get the trip?

“Don’t drive at night” is probably the No. 1 piece of advice about most of the eastern bloc, not just because of the crime but because of the potholes in the roads and large pieces of debris which seem to be lying around, as well as animals wandering in the road etc.

I’ve done Poland and Hungary a few times. Tried not to drive at night for the obvious reasons. I was gonna go, if I do go via Austria Vienna A1 into Hungary and cross through that way.

In a van go through Nadylac. You will need a vignette available from the kiosks at the border same style as Hungary you give your reg and get a ticket. You can also get it from the OMV garage just through the border on your right.
If you are going to Bucherest you will be needing a good days work 10hours or so from the border. It’s 600odd kms with no more than 120k on dual/motorway.
You dont say what fuel card so cant help you there.
Main piece of advice is to keep everything locked and do not drive at night. if you get hungry around km marker 150 i think stop at restaurant international owned by Rick. He will put you right on anything else you need to know.

bigvern1:
I’ve done Poland and Hungary a few times. Tried not to drive at night for the obvious reasons. I was gonna go, if I do go via Austria Vienna A1 into Hungary and cross through that way.

Thats the way I would go as well.

We will have as24 fuel cards and heaps of dough deposited into my bank account as running money. He’s put loads in so far, so no need to doubt it. Thanks for all the advice. I’m a big boy and always look for advice if I’m unsure. :smiley:

very straight forward. i usually go in towards Arad. through hungary, turn off before serbia. :laughing:
if you are getting close to the end of your hours, then knock it on the head at the hungarian side of the border, it’s like the wild west on the other side.
you’ll need a vignette. i get it on the border (cash only). but they are available at most petrol stations.
20 euros will get you an evening meal, bed and breakfast. tell them your truck is outside, and it shouldn’t get touched. so it’s well worth the 20 euros.
watch your speed. the police don’t seem to bother about anything but speeding.
remember they are 2 hours ahead of us. and there are weekend lorry bans.

Going in a van!