Interesting old shunters?

Does anyone know of any yards / firms currently using interesting or just old wagons as shunters??

I remember a really good feature they used to run periodically in T&D about shunters. It was a collection of new & old photos, mostly from the docks.

There were some real old dogs, ones with lights, ,mirrors and even windscreens(!!) missing. I don’t know if anybody has pics.

Might be worth a post on the photo forum…

I’ll start it for you. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Shunter Pics

Has anyone seen the knackered old ERF at Baylis Logistics in Leighton Buzzard?

Has a ‘walkway’ welded onto the off-side of it so the operator doesn’t have to climb down everytime he exits the cab. He simply walks onto the catwalk.

Apparently it falls off quite a lot and has to be welded back on again!

Think I’d bash it; it sticks a good two feet out of the side!! :laughing:

I’ve done my share of shunting in tugs ranging from old Reliance, Valley, etc up to the latest Terbergs.

But my favourite has to be K798BNY, or ‘Marigold’ as we used to call it. What a machine!!

It was an old ex-Kwik Save Leyland DAF 75 day cab that we had at Somerfield. It had been custom converted in the workshop to be used as a tug, including home-made vertical stack that used to (without any warning) spit sparks and flames out like in the Grease film!! :smiley:

I had the honour of running it down to Welwyn Garden City depot on trade plates when we got a new Terberg to replace it.

The thing went off the clock going down the A1! :wink:

I last saw it at DHL Banbury.

In Brown’s (fridge) yard at Spalding this old Volvo is the shunter, the off-side catwalk is narrower - no more than a foot wide.

Click 'em to enlarge…

chorcheela:
I remember a really good feature they used to run periodically in T&D about shunters. It was a collection of new & old photos, mostly from the docks.

There were some real old dogs, ones with lights, ,mirrors and even windscreens(!!) missing. I don’t know if anybody has pics.

Might be worth a post on the photo forum…

i have had several shunter pics published in there!!!

will see if i can dig any out

Got some really old shunters at Sainsburys Stoke. Names are Steve and Kevin. :smiling_imp: