Shunters

Hi all.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but is there any chance of some shunter pics. They can be artic or rigid, or drawbar, or skip, or swapbody etc. I do not mind.

I am mainly after the Terberg kind of half cab shunters, but am happy with any shunter out there.

Thanks in advance

New Blood

Here’s a few NewBlood.
This Scania had a dockspotter fitted and was knackered after 24/7 for a year :laughing:

This one came from Harwich docks and had a Leyland 600 engine.The exhaust fumes gassed us all to death so it was condemned by our H&S.

So we got this Terberg brand new and it was a top piece of tackle - never any problem apart from a ram oil seal u/s.

I never used this one as I had retired and the depot closed and reopened on a different contract.A mate of mine sent me the photo.

I think these pics are somewhere else on the forum so apologies for any duplication.

I have just been trained to use one of these and am now able to train others on them :slight_smile:
I was teaching a couple of seasoned drivers last week on how to assess LGV drivers who come to their place and one of the two I was teaching, taught me how to operate one of thse shunter cabs - BOY, do they turn quick :exclamation: :exclamation:

They did have a really good laugh when I unhitched from a trailer and could not move forward - WHY :question: :question: :question: - because Mr ROG NUMPTY took 10 seconds to realise that he had not released the handbrake :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yes they are a good tool Rog and take a lot of hammer.When that blue Terberg was VOR (which was very rare) or on service then three drivers were seconded to shunt with road units on days and four on nights to keep the job going.

This was the shunter for Elddis at their worksop depot until a few weeks ago. I was told it has gone back to their HQ in Consett. I was in Consett on Friday night and saw nothing of it so perhaps they’ve put it back to work!

Elddis used to have quite a few of these on shunting duties in Consett, used to see them all the time running between the Phileas Fogg crisp factory and the depot. Now Ralfy the shunter driver seems to use any unit thats going spare

Also seen a half cab shunter in Elddis livery,like the ones above, in the delves lane yard, any chance of some pictures of that? Its not on lorryspotting but i’ve definitley seen one from the main road

Some of the ones I had at Exel / Somerfield. Apologies for the poor quality of some. I had much ‘naffer’ phones when some of these were taken. Also - I used to work nights, when it was often dark!! :smiley: :laughing: :wink:

Reliance Mercury in full fleet fleet colours. Fitted with, I was told, a 180 Perkins.

Sisu something or other. Fitted with a Volvo Penta marine engine measuring, I was told, 14 litres. Whether it was that big or not I couldn’t say. However, it it the ‘torqueiest’ tug I’ve ever driven. It would happily drag a fully freighted trailer around all day with the park brake on. :blush: You really had to take care to remember to knock it off when piloting this beast.

It was slow (too very low-geared for what we needed), had rubbish heaters and very awkward cab access compared to other tugs on the fleet. But the noise of that Volvo lump was like music to the ears. :smiley:

“Prefect.”

Valley, Velley, or Vallely ( :question: ) something or other. I don’t think they make them anymore. Had a ■■■■■■■ / Allison auto driveline. Very comfortable, and easy to work with. Also had a cracking CD system fitted as standard. The speakers in this would put many modern road-going trucks to shame.

“Hurricane.”
Terberg. SF standardised on these. User friendly enough, but I prefer the one above.

Might be of interest? These Michelin Terminal tyres were fitted to all our tugs. They were excellent. Tyre-fitter once told me they cost £500 each!! I doubt that, somehow!!

Fantastic pics everyone. Can’t wait to see more.

Thanks

New Blood

I’ve seen one of those “Prefect” shunters before - might have been Tesco Doncaster on demo.
I take it they were taken at Huntingdon (Cardinal?). If so are Wincanton still in there Fenman or is it all Exel?

Chris Webb:
I’ve seen one of those “Prefect” shunters before - might have been Tesco Doncaster on demo.
I take it they were taken at Huntingdon (Cardinal?). If so are Wincanton still in there Fenman or is it all Exel?

The Prefect was indeed used at Cardinal most of the time. It was road legal, and therefore I have used it at Spittals also. The pic of it with the red (ex-Kwik Save) 'decker was taken at Spittals - outside the garage.

Banbury Bond also had one called “Leader”.

Wincanton now run everything at Huntingdon. Warehouse and transport at both Spittals and Cardinal. This is precisely the reason I no longer work there. I could have stayed, but DHL / Exel are OK to work for and I was pretty sure that if Wincanton was taking over, it was because they would do it for less money. Therefore, the job as I knew it was finished.

In fact, Wincanton run the entire SF supply chain. Every depot. :frowning:

According to the lads who I keep in touch with, this has proved to be the case. Only last week one of them said to me, ‘You know, you got out at exactly the right time? The job’s ■■■■■■■■ now. They can’t even keep the Polish drivers, what with the Bulgarian’s and Romanian’s undercutting them and smashing everything up.’ :open_mouth:

This one is a shunter that moves demounts as well as semi trailers, the fifth wheel is on hydraulics and lowers below the chassis when used as a rigid. It looks like a pig to drive though

Heres the one at my place.i only get to drive it 2 hours a night.Usually ive got a scania 124.Not the best thing to shunt in.
Tony bPhotobucket

tonyb70:
Heres the one at my place.i only get to drive it 2 hours a night.Usually ive got a scania 124.Not the best thing to shunt in.
Tony bPhotobucket

Put a match to the 124 tony.Why only two hours a night on the shunter,is the regular man on his break? :smiley:
We had to use CF85 sleepers and 124 sleepers when our Terberg was off the road,which wasn’t very often and they were a pain in the backside. :confused:

The other driver gets it first then i get it from 4 till 6am until the another man starts on days,then i go home.
We were trying to get another one for me,but with the dowturn in work,ive got no chance.
After a night with the scania,i’m knackerd.
Might not even have a job if they keep laying the staff off.1 driver on nights would be plenty.

Tony b

tonyb70:
The other driver gets it first then i get it from 4 till 6am until the another man starts on days,then i go home.
We were trying to get another one for me,but with the dowturn in work,ive got no chance.
After a night with the scania,i’m knackerd.
Might not even have a job if they keep laying the staff off.1 driver on nights would be plenty.

Tony b

Well,after a lot of late loading and putting our case at endless meetings we finished up with a second Terberg and the pressure was off .
Hope work picks up for you,things are looking a bit bleak,even in the Isle of Man - goes with the weather. :laughing:

Taken at the Mammoet open Day at Schiedam, NL last year

Tim

I was a shunter @ Reed Boardall 7 years ago, the Head shunter on nights Neil taught me to handbrake a Terberg to under a trailer. It was fun but if we had of got caught Health and saftey wouldnt of been happy :wink: :wink:

I’ve just finished a 12 hour shift in one of the newer Terbergs. They’ve got push button gear selection and they’re much quieter than the older ones.
I’m still knackered though.

Tetleysmooth:
I’ve just finished a 12 hour shift in one of the newer Terbergs. They’ve got push button gear selection and they’re much quieter than the older ones.

Can you get a photo of it inside and out Tetleysmooth,I’d like to see it.

Chris Webb:

Tetleysmooth:

Can you get a photo of it inside and out Tetleysmooth,I’d like to see it.

I’ll do my best for you chap.