Insurance

The time has come for me to renew my car insurance. Unfortunately, during the past year I have had 3 minor accidents at work in the truck. None were caused by myself, but 2 resulted in a claim against the company’s insurance. :unamused:

I wondered whether other drivers notify their insurance companies about ‘accidents at work’?

A few years ago, when insuring a motorbike, the insurance company I was with didn’t want to know about the accident that happened at work, saying it was an occupational hazard. :confused:

I’m sure other people have been in this situation, so I would like to know what you have all done about it?

heck no!

Accidents at work are dealt with under your work’s insurance, and have nothing to do with your own insurance. :slight_smile:

The last time I got mine renewed, they wouldn’t even accept ‘truck driver’ as a profession. I ended up with something like ‘warehouseman’. Weird.

I renewed my car insurance in October and this year have put it in my wifes name (to keep her no claims up to date).

When we queried the amount they wanted they told us that as I drive for a living my premium is slightly higher than it would be for alternative employment. Don’t know the logic behind that and they couldn’t explain it either.

We are on low mileage cover as well as we only did 2000 miles last year (gawd knows what I did at work).

Insurance always has and always will baffle me. Full no claims discount but the premium keeps rising.

I have never and will never tell the insurance company that i drive for a living reason being they penalise you for it and load your premium just shows how backward this country can be sometimes when professional drivers end up paying more for it

simon

I must agree with whats been said your work insurance is just that and i would not tell them owt they will find every way of not telling you what your not covered for and any way of not paying so no i would not tell them

If you do’nt disclose pertinant information to your insurance they will invalidate your insurance, on the spot. If you then have something happen, between them invalidating your insurance and you receiving the notification, you ain’t covered so could be in deep do-do.

I have had a couple of bumps at work. When my car insurance renewal came up, I informed them and was told that it had no bearing on my car insurance. Best to tell them to be on the safe side tho’, IMHO. No point giving them an excuse to take your money and then leave you high n dry.

Other than getting round a “producer” or for buying Road Tax, if you withhold info from the insurers you may as well keep the money in your pocket!

I can’t get my head round this premium loading. I can only think it’s something along the lines of the more time spent on the road the more exposed you are to being involved in an accident? Of course, the counter argument is the additional training, test, skill level, medical, experience …….

In 2002 there were 302,605 casualties of all types on Britain’s roads, of which 3431 were fatalities (or more than 9 per day).
Of the 9 per day, 5 were car users, 2 were pedestrians and the remainder on motorcycles or in buses, coaches or trucks. There were 33,645 incidents involving death or serious injury.
It is now officially confirmed that 30% of all fatalities and serious injuries on Britain’s roads involve somebody who is at work.
Driving is now officially the most dangerous activity within the workplace environment.
In 2002, serious injuries (i.e. where the outcome has a permanent effect on people’s lives) numbered 35,976 or just under 100 every day of the year.
A TRL report confirms that accident liability rises between 29 and 50% in the case of fleet drivers.
Average probability of occupational fatality - Deep sea fishing 1:750; Coal mining 1:7100; Driving 25,000 miles p.a. 1:8000; Construction 1: 10,000; Service industries 1: 150,000.

Tell them nowt!
insurance is only like a bank loan an expensive one at that!

Don’t suppose I can convince you with the argument that everyone pays into a pot, and those unfortunate to have an accident take out? Okay, so they’re also a pretty big percentage for the brokers’ commission, admin costs, profit etc etc. And a percentage of everyone’s premium goes into a separate fund to pay for the uninsured drivers!

Like I said, you withhold material info, or spin them a yarn, and you’re as good as uninsured! That’s 6/7 points for starters!

Why’s it like a bank loan?

spaceman:
Don’t suppose I can convince you with the argument that everyone pays into a pot, and those unfortunate to have an accident take out? Okay, so they’re also a pretty big percentage for the brokers’ commission, admin costs, profit etc etc. And a percentage of everyone’s premium goes into a separate fund to pay for the uninsured drivers!

Like I said, you withhold material info, or spin them a yarn, and you’re as good as uninsured! That’s 6/7 points for starters!

Why’s it like a bank loan?

You have a bump or your car gets nicked you get paid a lump sum!
you re-pay it via huge increases in the amount you have to pay for the next years insurance! it never goes down you will allways be paying for it and if you make too many claims the bank(oops sorry insurance company) refuses to cover you!

Bank loans are cheeper!

Okay, so they reckon a fatal RTA costs about £1M. Put an eighteen year old in a wheel chair, needing constant care for the rest of his life, and it will probably be something like £2.5M. I think your point only considers damage to your own car or your own pocket!

I never said you shouldnt have insurance! of course you should!

but for the majority of people its just a expensive bank loan if your unlucky to have to make a claim in the 1st place!
if you never make a claim its a lot of dosh you pay out for a small chance of something going wrong!

the only people who make money out of insurance are the shareholders!

Simon:
If you do’nt disclose pertinant information to your insurance they will invalidate your insurance, on the spot. If you then have something happen, between them invalidating your insurance and you receiving the notification, you ain’t covered so could be in deep do-do.

Not nessacarily so when i was a self employed courier (crap job by the way) i had my own transitwhich got pinched and i had not declared the points on my license and had it insured at my mums address (cheaper to insure that way) and the insurance paid out on it no problem.

simon

The Critic — maybe your premiums aren’t wasted — most of it goes in the pot, so you can put your head on your pillow tonight and know that you’ve helped someone who has had a less fortunate time on the road!

Simon — count yourself lucky! But, the fact that you’ve paid less premium (AND made a claim) means the rest of us have to pay more! Maybe we should cut out the insurance company — next time my policies are up for renewal, I’ll just send you a cheque direct!

spaceman:
The Critic — maybe your premiums aren’t wasted — most of it goes in the pot, so you can put your head on your pillow tonight and know that you’ve helped someone who has had a less fortunate time on the road!

Simon — count yourself lucky! But, the fact that you’ve paid less premium (AND made a claim) means the rest of us have to pay more! Maybe we should cut out the insurance company — next time my policies are up for renewal, I’ll just send you a cheque direct!

sorry spaceman but thats the way of the world i still pay premiums large ones as well so if i can save £200 then thats what i’m gonna do insurance companys are taking us all for a ride anyway.
plus i got a quote for my insurance postcode M46 and a quote for insurance at my mums WN7 (3 miles between them) and it was a £200 diference just because cars get nicked more in manc than wigan.

sorry if i have offended anyone
simon

If you get caught out, points on your licence, fined and done for fraud, you might find that the £200 saving (even per year for fifty years) is a tad insignificant! On top of this, you’re ripping off the majority that don’t tell porkies!

I think it’s a bit “pot & kettle” to say the insurance companies are taking us for a ride!