Car insurance query

our illustrious employers have put a notice up at work telling us to inform our car insurance company of any accidents in work vehicles.[for our own good they say].surely if you tell the insurance company that you are an hgv/psv/van or taxi driver it would be in the small print that your work accident record would affect your own policy■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: anybody heard of this ■■?

signed perplexed of eastleigh

You have to disclose any accidents or claims (usually within the last 5 years) to your insurance company. That is one of the questions they ask you when you renew or get a quote, and the specifically use the word ‘ANY’.
If they find out you had a ding in a work vehicle and didn’t disclose it to them, you can gaurentee they’ll use it to wriggle if you make a claim with them

but its a work vehicle, it shouldnt make a bat of difference to your own personal car insurance.

thinking about it again when i tried to carry over ncd from a bike to a car the insurance co. said as it was a different class of vehicle so was of no use as my driving record [in thier eyes] would start with the car policy.i think i,ll have to dig out the policy booklet :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

They even regard a commercial vehicle,ie a small van (ford ■■■■■■) to a private car as different, in that any no claims bonus you have earned with one will not be carried over to the other,
So as for informing them of any accidents fault or not at fault when driving a works vehicle , not a chance as it has nothing to do with them

gogzy:
but its a work vehicle, it shouldnt make a bat of difference to your own personal car insurance.

Whether it should or not the fact of the matter is that it does. In theory you are legally obliged to inform your insurers of all accidents regardless of who is at fault and regardless of who’s vehicle you were driving at the time. After all, if you had someone who had half a dozen at fault accidents in a works van in a year then they are clearly a higher risk for insurance and therefore the insurers want/need to know so they can load said persons car insurance appropriately.

If you don’t inform them then you had better make sure you don’t have an accident as you can bet your bottom dollar that they’ll somehow find out the second you try to claim and as soon as they do find out your insurance becomes null and void.

Paul

tommy t:
So as for informing them of any accidents fault or not at fault when driving a works vehicle , not a chance as it has nothing to do with them

It has everything to do with them. When you get your insurance they ask you “have you had any accidents in the last 5 years” or words to that effect and if you lie then at best you will find your insurance is invalid and in the very worst case you could end up being done for insurance fraud. If they only wanted to know what accidents you had had in your personal car they would ask that specific question but they don’t, they want to know all accidents, and if you don’t tell them the truth then you had better hope they don’t find out when you come to claim…

Paul

:unamused: Jeez it makes you wonder :unamused: ,FFS wake up and smell the coffee guys,if you drive like a plank at work incurring claims of course it’ll reflect on your private policies.Why do you think they are loaded for truck drivers in the first instance?

so we have now gone from grassing up fellow drivers, to grassing up yourselves? :laughing:
whatever next?

And now all insurance companies talk to each other you can bet that it would be fairly easy for them to check if you were a named driver on an accident claim. Of course you probably wouldn’t be told about this until you tried to claim on your own policy - they won’t turn away your premiums in the meantime…

So does this can i can tell Ins i have been on my bosses Ins policy for ex amount of years and share his no claims policy ■■?
some how i doubt it , typical INS companys wanting it all there own way !

so has anyone ever had an insurance company refuse to pay out…due to accidents at work not being disclosed.

flat to the mat:
:roll: Jeez it makes you wonder :unamused: ,FFS wake up and smell the coffee guys,if you drive like a plank at work incurring claims of course it’ll reflect on your private policies.Why do you think they are loaded for truck drivers in the first instance?

I get cheaper insurance because I’m a truck driver.

Fallmonk:
So does this can i can tell Ins i have been on my bosses Ins policy for ex amount of years and share his no claims policy ■■?
some how i doubt it , typical INS companys wanting it all there own way !

No, because you don’t earn NCB as a named driver. If you have been a named driver on your wife/husband/whatever’s policy for 10 years and not had a bump you still start with 0 NCB if you buy a car of your own unless you can find an insurer who will offer some kind of introductory NCB scheme.

In fact it is even more restrictive than that. You can only use NCB once, so even though I had full NCB on my main car when I bought a second car I had to start at zero again and build up the NCB on the second vehicle from scratch.

Paul

repton:
After all, if you had someone who had half a dozen at fault accidents in a works van in a year then they are clearly a higher risk for insurance and therefore the insurers want/need to know so they can load said persons car insurance appropriately.

Paul

sorry…dont buy it,i would imagine that my works insurance is suitably loaded to reflect the fact that driving artic is more likley to involve a claim than that of my private policy....i dont think i could get fully comp artic cover for £200.
therefore i suggest that the 2 activities are totally seperate and just because someone has had a ding in a truck,it doesnt /shouldnt affect my private policy when calculating the risk.
further more i think that any court would agree,given the reputation insurance companies have

if accidents at work affect your private policy…i shudder to think what lewis hamilton pays on his private cover :wink:

As someone who’s never been offered any insurance benefit for 20+ years of accident free driving, I don’t bother even declaring being C+E on my insurance in the first place. You get insurance discounts for parking off road, and living further away from riff-raff, but not for holding a spotless licence for yonks it seems.

If you have a prang at work therefore, how exactly is anyone going to find out the connection between a works claim (maybe “un-named driver”) and someone’s private insurance even if the accident fault is 100% yours?

As far as I know, a firm is only obliged to offer up a driver’s name in the case of the police being involved. :confused:
If this were not the case, then no employer would take on any driver with points on their licence, thus making personal insurance for that particular driver more expensive eh? Ads are all “6 points OK” which tells me there is little or no correlation between works accidents and private insurance of drivers. :sunglasses:

I imagine this “declaration” only need apply to owner-drivers therefore, who’s work claim will have their name on it, and is thus traceable. :grimacing:

I have seen a couple of truck driving jobs advertised recently that were asking for verifiable accident free history.

commonrail:
therefore i suggest that the 2 activities are totally seperate and just because someone has had a ding in a truck,it doesnt /shouldnt affect my private policy when calculating the risk.

The two are quite clearly not completely separate as there is a very significant common link, i.e. the driver, you. It is perfectly sensible that someone who crashes their truck at work once a fortnight should have their car insurance loaded as they are clearly a higher risk than someone who hasn’t crashed any vehicle for several years.

At the end of the day like it or not you have a legal obligation to disclose accidents at work. If you choose not to then that is your choice but you could come to regret it if you ever need to claim.

Paul

Winseer:
If you have a prang at work therefore, how exactly is anyone going to find out the connection between a works claim (maybe “un-named driver”) and someone’s private insurance even if the accident fault is 100% yours?

If a claim has been made on your employer’s insurance your name and driving licence number will have been put on the claim form and therefore into the insurance company’s database. It is therefore trivial to trace it.

Paul