Car insurance query

As said a legal one for a qualified barrister. The term any may be there to mislead you into giving info that may not have been required there fore allowing to let the insurer judge the risk and allow the insurer to make an dishonest attempt of not paying any claim. the disclosure of data without consent springs to mind and how about the misselling of ppi and bank charges that we all fall for because we believe every word the companies tell us. So how do i benefit from any no claims from a truck they give me nothing bring on the ombudsman that should be looking into this racket. They are two separate issues

repton:
[

The two are quite clearly not completely separate as there is a very significant common link, i.e. the driver, you. It is perfectly sensible that someone who crashes their truck at work once a fortnight should have their car insurance loaded as they are clearly a higher risk than someone who hasn’t crashed any vehicle for several years.

Paul

a person who drives for a living is obviously more of a risk than someone who doesnt, that is why a seperate commercial policy is taken out. someone who crashes their truck once a fortnight will soon find they are unemployable because they are un insurable....theyll still get cover for their private car policy though.
just because someone cant drive a truck,it dont mean to say they can`t drive a car

And also as it can have such a drastic effect on someone’s lively hood the magazine for drivers should look into it

If one says that a fairly “good” driver will have an accident once per 1000 trips, and a fairly “bad” driver will have an accident once every 100 trips, then you’d still have to be a pretty lousy driver to get your premium loaded as a professional - That is, on a level playing field in a fair world.

In other words, if you get buggered about by insurers taking the ■■■■, then just walk and find another one.

I’ve been whoring around several insurers for years, because I have found that they pretty much ALL take the ■■■■ sooner or later! :imp:

I like to pay £200-£300 for mine, and shop around until I get it. (Group 14) :grimacing:

flat to the mat:
:roll: Jeez it makes you wonder :unamused: ,FFS wake up and smell the coffee guys,if you drive like a plank at work incurring claims of course it’ll reflect on your private policies.Why do you think they are loaded for truck drivers in the first instance?

Hmm, Any accidents - fault or NONE FAULT - :unamused:

When we have the regular licence inspections at work we have to sign a driving record disclaimer too, have to report any accidents or convictions in our own cars.

commonrail:
just because someone cant drive a truck,it dont mean to say they can`t drive a car

No but as with all these things it is to do with risk, and if an insurer asks you a fair question in order to assess the level of risk you pose in order to determine an appropriate premium and you lie to them then you are committing fraud plain and simple.

I’m sure there are many cases of people who, as you suggest, are crap in a truck but great in a car. There will also be many cases the other way round. There will be people with a string of convictions for dangerous driving who will then drive for ten years without so much as a minor bump, and there will be others who have a 30 year claim free record and then make 5 claims in a year. The insurance companies therefore have to base their premiums they charge on an educated guess as to what risk you pose to them and you have a legal obligation to truthfully answer any reasonable question they ask you. If you don’t do so, then the contract between you is null and void and you’re driving without insurance. Sadly it is not up to us to decide what is a reasonable question for them to ask, unless it’s clearly ridiculous in which case the insurance ombudsman may be able to help. That is how it is, whether we like it or not.

Paul

Winseer:
That is, on a level playing field in a fair world.

Sadly that is not something we’ll ever see in the insurance market as they have a captive audience due to us being obliged in law to buy their product. As you correctly say the only thing we can do is keep them on their toes by shopping around each and every year at renewal time.

That said we are with Direct Line for our main car at the moment and for the last 3 or 4 years I’ve not been able to get close to the renewal so they’ve still got our business. We pay about £250 for fully comp insurance for two of us both in our mid 30’s with full no claims on a 1997 SAAB 900 with a 2.3 engine.

Paul

So, a driver told me the other day about once having to fill in an insurance claim form and a defect sheet for snapping an air line accidentally… would this fall into the notifiable accident category ■■?, where does all the bull stuff end ■■?

Bull.jpg

Guys’ you can believe what you’ve heard or not. But, I had a trailer stolen from a bonded warehouse, I won’t go into the details but basically @ 23:00 the night security man let a truck in, couple up to my skelly trailer complete with 40’ box loaded with ‘mixed spirits’ & drive out the gate.

After weeks of letters & phone calls my GIT insurer told me “you’re on youre own” this was due to, are you ready for this? “withholding material facts”, my vehicle insurance company contacted me the same day to tell me the same with regard to the missing trailer. I immediately contacted the financial services ombudsman & was told that “withholding FACTS” is an absolute offence & as such, indefensible, so whatever your reason for not telling your insurer a “material fact” (you don’t think they need to know, don’t have the right to know, you’d been ‘told’ by someone in a position of authority they didn’t need to know) for me it was the last one, & I LOST!!!

I’m not looking for bathroom lawyers opinions on this as I spent over £9,000 on solicitor & Barristers fees & KNOW the law in this area, luckily for me I had a co-defendant in the civil case ‘Royal & Sun Alliance V me & the security company’ & they were covered by their insurers. My solcitor managed to do a deal where the security company paid 90% & I paid 10% in an ‘out of court settlement’ (without prejudice!!!).

Beware, insurance company’s ALL ‘speak’ to each other & they will all try to find a reason to give you your premium back complete with a letter letting you know how to get hold of the office of the ombudsman. These insurers aren’t interested in anything other thanthe bottom line & will think nothing of leaving you ‘up the creak without a paddle’!!!

Ross.

Tell em nowt !

TTX boy:
Tell em nowt !

Quality, good advice if you want to loose youre home. (if you own it)

Ross.

bigr250:
Guys’ you can believe what you’ve heard or not. But, I had a trailer stolen from a bonded warehouse, I won’t go into the details but basically @ 23:00 the night security man let a truck in, couple up to my skelly trailer complete with 40’ box loaded with ‘mixed spirits’ & drive out the gate.

After weeks of letters & phone calls my GIT insurer told me “you’re on youre own” this was due to, are you ready for this? “withholding material facts”, my vehicle insurance company contacted me the same day to tell me the same with regard to the missing trailer. I immediately contacted the financial services ombudsman & was told that “withholding FACTS” is an absolute offence & as such, indefensible, so whatever your reason for not telling your insurer a “material fact” (you don’t think they need to know, don’t have the right to know, you’d been ‘told’ by someone in a position of authority they didn’t need to know) for me it was the last one, & I LOST!!!

I’m not looking for bathroom lawyers opinions on this as I spent over £9,000 on solicitor & Barristers fees & KNOW the law in this area, luckily for me I had a co-defendant in the civil case ‘Royal & Sun Alliance V me & the security company’ & they were covered by their insurers. My solcitor managed to do a deal where the security company paid 90% & I paid 10% in an ‘out of court settlement’ (without prejudice!!!).

Beware, insurance company’s ALL ‘speak’ to each other & they will all try to find a reason to give you your premium back complete with a letter letting you know how to get hold of the office of the ombudsman. These insurers aren’t interested in anything other thanthe bottom line & will think nothing of leaving you ‘up the creak without a paddle’!!!

Ross.

you held back facts concerning the policy on which you later claimed against :question:

commonrail:
you held back facts concerning the policy on which you later claimed against :question:

His post would certainly suggest that, just the same as you are suggesting we should all do when we apply for insurance for our private cars. It came back to bite him on the arse, as it could easily do for you and everyone else on this thread who is advocating telling lies to an insurance company in order to get a lower premium.

Paul

Open-ended crap like “With-holding Facts” is a catch-all if you think about it.

It’s like me not declaring that some dashboard fluff is in my belly button, or my wife sometimes sneezes whilst I’m driving and I don’t report it to the NHS, or declare a near-miss accident!

The insurers want you to ask their permission to breath Oxygen it seems.

In the end, if someone in a suit steals your money, steal it back.

What are they going to do? If they petition for your bankrupcty or take out a CCJ against you, then you’ll only pay if you’ve got loads of money that they actually know about.

Woe to those who DO have loads of money in the bent financial and firmdom world that is today’s austerity “we’re all in it together” society. :smiling_imp:

bigr250:

TTX boy:
Tell em nowt !

Ross.

why would someone lose their house? you tell em nowt, then God strikes your house with a bolt of lightening? [zb] me these insurance companies have some powerful friends. :laughing:

I have had scrapes on sites but only one bump on the road in work and I did not tell my private insurance as i belive it’s ■■■■ all of their business, if they gave me benefits from the years without a bump and not just wanting to know about the bumps i have had I would consider telling them, as far as I’m concerned it’s about the policy, and if they don’t make it clear then I’m not telling them, I read it as ‘accidents on the policy’ as thats what you are on the phone to them about, your car not your truck.

Insurance is a ■■■■■■■ joke! It’s a legal obligation to have it, yet they are ‘company’s’ meaning they do like to earn a profit, and like all company’s its as much as they can!

In my eyes it’s a disgrace, I pay 1500 on my Audi a3 sport back, that’s for me and the mrs fully comp, I’ve never payed under 1000 and I’ve never had a bump on my car policy, it’s partly down to my age.

I have payed over £9000 in 6 years! Fair?

I refuse to get a ■■■■■■■ car, I love my cars and it’s something I have to have, so it’s something I pay.

I will be looking into this truck driver insurance to help lower it this time round but I’m not that confident. Until I hit 25 there isn’t a lot I can do.

commonrail:

What policy? My GIT? the one that was canceled!! Oh, you mean my ‘comprehensive’ vehicle & trailer policy that was also canceled on th same day■■? It’s all in there!!

limeyphil:

bigr250:

TTX boy:
Tell em nowt !

Ross.

why would someone lose their house? you tell em nowt, then God strikes your house with a bolt of lightening? [zb] me these insurance companies have some powerful friends. :laughing:

So your driving home in your car & loose controll & ram into a Bugatti Veyron going the opposit direction, you havn’t bothered to tell your insurers about the two accidents you had at work in your FH12, they send you your premium back and your left to pay the personal injuries of the Bugatti driver & the cost of the write off of his £1/2million Veyron!!! They bankrupt you, sell the house & your renting a home for you & your family!!

Ross.

If you tell your personal vehicle insurance company that you haven’t had any accidents in your work vehicle, in the past 12 months are they going to give you extra NCB? Are they ■■■■■ Anyway most big companies are self insured, so ■■■■ the robbin hunts.

bigr250:

commonrail:

What policy? My GIT? the one that was canceled!! Oh, you mean my ‘comprehensive’ vehicle & trailer policy that was also canceled on th same day■■? It’s all in there!!

limeyphil:

bigr250:

TTX boy:
Tell em nowt !

Ross.

So your driving home in your car & loose controll & ram into a Bugatti Veyron going the opposit direction, you havn’t bothered to tell your insurers about the two accidents you had at work in your FH12, they send you your premium back and your left to pay the personal injuries of the Bugatti driver & the cost of the write off of his £1/2million Veyron!!! They bankrupt you, sell the house & your renting a home for you & your family!!

Ross.

limeyphil doesn’t work, doesn’t own a house and taxpayers pay his rent so he cannot lose sfa :smiley: