Insurance / Shop Around!

Hi Everyone

I thought this might make interesting reading. Rang around for insurance quotes today and the results are pretty interesting. My existing broker was by far the dearest, yet they have been the most competitive over the last 3 years.

Criteria for Quote: 44 tonne, Unit & Trailer Value £70k with full attached/detached cover, GIT - RHA 1998 with extended liability of £6500 per tonne plus UK CMR, Employers & Public Liability, One Driver, Full No Claims Bonus.

Results: Existing Broker £3800
Second Best £2467
The Winner £2144

Checked all details of each quote and all are with reputable insurers, i.e: Big names as you would expect. All stated extra driver could be substituted by way of a phone call at no extra cost. All very interesting I thought and certainly an eye opener!!

:confused: :confused:

Don’t keep it to yourself - who was the winner?

Good point Hammer.

M R Ratcliffe, Cheltenham.

Worth pointing out how efficient they were. Quote for truck in less than a minute, rang me back in 20 minutes with GIT as they needed to double check cover exactly as required and also a FREEPHONE number.

The others were 0870 numbers so they earn off you just to provide a quote and I had to chase the 2 others at least 3 times each in 24hrs to finally get the quotes, bearing in mind one of them is my existing broker!!

Says it all I think.

Fossil

Fossil:
Good point Hammer.

M R Ratcliffe, Cheltenham.

Worth pointing out how efficient they were. Quote for truck in less than a minute, rang me back in 20 minutes with GIT as they needed to double check cover exactly as required and also a FREEPHONE number.

The others were 0870 numbers so they earn off you just to provide a quote and I had to chase the 2 others at least 3 times each in 24hrs to finally get the quotes, bearing in mind one of them is my existing broker!!

Says it all I think.

Fossil

I was wondering if this might be the answer, I’ve heard good things about them. I’ll be definatly giving them a bell this year.

However, I’m wondering how they can be so much cheaper than your broker? 43% is some saving, not trying to pee on your parade just seems too good to be true. :astonished:

Hammer wrote

I was wondering if this might be the answer, I’ve heard good things about them. I’ll be definatly giving them a bell this year.

However, I’m wondering how they can be so much cheaper than your broker? 43% is some saving, not trying to pee on your parade just seems too good to be true. :astonished:

Asked myself same question hence why I double checked. Motor cover is with Equity Red Star & GIT with AXA, both been around for donkeys years & I’ve been with them both at some point. My existing insurer is Norwich Union. You can bet that when I tackle my existing broker the price will drop but I suspect not by enough. To be fair even the 2nd quote was reasonable I thought at less than £2.5k and this was with Anthony Jones who came recommended.

Have you tried NFU Mutual, they are competetive, no Farmer pays over the odds for anything, that says a lot in my book.

I’m a couple of weeks away from ‘insurance time’ Dave but I will certainly give them a try…not sure you can get away with generalising about farmers being tight though - isn’t that racist or something!? :smiley: :wink:

hammer:
I’m a couple of weeks away from ‘insurance time’ Dave but I will certainly give them a try…not sure you can get away with generalising about farmers being tight though - isn’t that racist or something!? :smiley: :wink:

Not generalising at all Hammer, I live in a rural area amongst a lot of Farmers, and they are shrewd business people in the main, most of them around here are very intensive and have diversified. They have not been hit by the credit crunch like a lot of other industries yet, but the small Farmers as you know are being squeezed out by the big players, as in the haulage industry. :wink: :slight_smile:
Cheers Dave.

been with ratcliffes for 8 years always the cheapest i find and easy to talk with .If you get a cheap quote they will always beat it so its good to barter and give them a figure you think is realiustic and let them match it,its worked for the last 3 years got 10k of there price this year from 26 to 16 for 5 trucks trailers git pub and empl liability with a few non fault outstanding claims.would definately recomend a look!