Insurance Question

As most of the agencies ae going towards the umbrella company pay scheme I decided that I would give it a go. This company doesn’t seem to be too bad, charges are almost minimal but there is one niggly point. They charge £2 per week insurance, when asked why I was told that it is to cover me in case of an accident. Surely the person who’s lorry i’m driving is insured for me to drive it. Allright its not a huge amount to pay but do I really need it and should i be paying it or is it the usual form of getting some extra money out of us into the companys coffers.

Probably paying into some kind of pot for any excess that needs to be paid.

I would ask for details - what am i covered for? How do I claim? What are the rules?

Just sent them an email asking all the questions, let’s see what comes back.

They are replying with

It is a statutory requirement to have this insurance cover in place. This cost is passed over to the candidate and it is removed from weekly payments at a cost of £2 per week. You can opt out of the insurance payments providing you can send us through a copy of your current insurance certificate.

Stating that it is a Employers Liability Insurance, as I’m not a Ltd Co nor Self Employed it puzzles me.

It is their insurance and it is passed on to each ‘client’. This client will not have it passed on to me.

As you yourself are not employing anyone surely you cannot be required to have Employers
Liability Insurance?
Is someone getting mixed up with Public Liability Insurance which was not (and might still be as yet)
a legal requirement?

£2 a week for public liability insurance sounds more like it. I have it for my business, it’s only about £60/year through Simplybusiness, but that will vary depending on the type of business you’re in.

They are stating that it is Emp Liability, has to be paid (deducted) if I wish to continue to be paid through them.
I was under the impression that i didn’t need it but they are adamant that it has to be paid, what i think is happening is that they are passing on their insurance premiums to individuals.