Insurance for under 25's

a mate of mine who works for my previous employer, is under the age of 25, he has been with this employer for nearly a year now, he’s ex aquaddie and been driving trucks for a few years now, his employer has told him that that the employers excess insurance has gone up by 1,000 pound and that my mate has to pay this at a rate of 50 pound a week out of his wage, his boss made him sign a contract to the point, just a couple of questions… has anybody heard of this kind of thing before, and is it legal…can’t really print what i said about it :slight_smile:

grahamzx6r:
a mate of mine who works for my previous employer, is under the age of 25, he has been with this employer for nearly a year now, he’s ex aquaddie and been driving trucks for a few years now, his employer has told him that that the employers excess insurance has gone up by 1,000 pound and that my mate has to pay this at a rate of 50 pound a week out of his wage, his boss made him sign a contract to the point, just a couple of questions… has anybody heard of this kind of thing before, and is it legal…can’t really print what i said about it :slight_smile:

I would make him pay an extra excess for being an ex-squaddie, those drivers are a nightmare!

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that he will be paying £50 a week out of his wages for an excess that if he doesn’t have an accident will not be an issue?

Now I don’t mean to be harsh but if that is the case and your mate has signed that he is a [zb]ing idiot.

If you mean he will only start paying if he has an accident and the excess comes into play then I apologise for the above comment.

In that case if he has signed that he is just an idiot. :wink:

andi_cardiff:
I would make him pay an extra excess for being an ex-squaddie, those drivers are a nightmare!

Oh [zb], this is gonna get good. Where’s that popcorn icon? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
Let me get this straight. Are you saying that he will be paying £50 a week out of his wages for an excess that if he doesn’t have an accident will not be an issue?

Now I don’t mean to be harsh but if that is the case and your mate has signed that he is a [zb]ing idiot.

If you mean he will only start paying if he has an accident and the excess comes into play then I apologise for the above comment.

yeah i know coffee, i nearly hit the ■■■■■■■ roof when he told me, the boss is just a complete ■■■■■ exploitation of the highest order :slight_smile:

grahamzx6r:

Coffeeholic:

yeah i know coffee, i nearly hit the [zb] roof when he told me, the boss is just a complete [zb], exploitation of the highest order :slight_smile:

Happy to employ the bloke and anyone knows there will be some kind of affect on the insurance whether it is a slight increase in premium, increased excess or restriction on what he can drive and where he can go. Despite that he is happy to employ him but then wants to charge him, the boss is a ■■■■.

What a load of bollox, I’m 22 nearly 23 and have had 2 full time jobs and been on agency since I started driving and it’s never been mentioned to me. It’s either one or the other, they won’t employ you because your under 25 or they will. And £50 a week is a hell of alot of money to be taken off.

Let me get this right, the excess is £1000 and your mate is paying £2600 a year.

Do me a favour Graham, smack them both in the mouth, ■■■■■■■

i have heard of this before, wont mention any names of companies as in their situation i don’t think it would be far, as they offord a new driver at 21 a start, but the excess the insurance wanted was over £1000. the only condition they put in was that if he had an acccident that was his fault, he would have to pay the excess above what the company normally paid. if he didn’t have a accident then nothing to pay, now i might be wrong but i didn’t see a problem with that and it was fair on both sides :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

When I passed at 21 after the company put me through I was pulled into the office and told that the insurance excess for me was just over £1000. He then told me he didn’t want to pay this and to make sure I didn’t have any accidents :smiley:

This was quickly followed by, you have passed your test so are competant in what you are doing and we have faith in you as a driver…don’t make me eat my words!

Knowing in the back of my mind what it would cost the company was enough to keep me concentrating. At no point did they ever ask me for any money to contribute towards it, and they never had to eat their words either :laughing:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Let me get this right, the excess is £1000 and your mate is paying £2600 a year.

Do me a favour Graham, smack them both in the mouth, [zb]

to be honest stuart i felt like driving over to the company and causing i big stink, but it will just make more hassle for him, and knowing the company and there so called work ethics i am surprised that they are not charging him for the fuel, it really is a ■■■■■■■ of a company

Can we not have a name and shame here?

I’ve been for a couple of jobs over the years where they’ve said “and if you have an accident £■■■ will be taken out of your wages” and I’ve stood up, shook their hand and advised that they keep looking for that idiot to agree.
Strangely though, it never takes them long.

I know a guy who was working for a firm and they brought this in, and he got charged it once over some incident or other, and it worked out he’d worked all week for -£50 before taking his fuel and dinners etc into account!!

Another guy was on … erm … self employed (you know CIH) @ £60 per day driving a muckaway for a local irish firm, and he took a mirror off reversing into the yard (off the truck, on a gate post apparantly), no idea how or whatever, but the firm charged him for the mirror, was around 150 quid or something.

As long as these muppets are around, it’s only going to get worse, once 1 company gets away with it, they’ll all be at it.

An accident is just that, I think the form filling is enough to put anyone off, but if it happens, that’s a risk of the business, if I want to take the financial risk, I’ll run my own truck and make the profits.

These ■■■■■■■ take with both hands.

waynedl:
Can we not have a name and shame here?

I’ve been for a couple of jobs over the years where they’ve said “and if you have an accident £■■■ will be taken out of your wages” and I’ve stood up, shook their hand and advised that they keep looking for that idiot to agree.
Strangely though, it never takes them long.

I know a guy who was working for a firm and they brought this in, and he got charged it once over some incident or other, and it worked out he’d worked all week for -£50 before taking his fuel and dinners etc into account!!

Another guy was on … erm … self employed (you know CIH) @ £60 per day driving a muckaway for a local irish firm, and he took a mirror off reversing into the yard (off the truck, on a gate post apparantly), no idea how or whatever, but the firm charged him for the mirror, was around 150 quid or something.

As long as these muppets are around, it’s only going to get worse, once 1 company gets away with it, they’ll all be at it.

An accident is just that, I think the form filling is enough to put anyone off, but if it happens, that’s a risk of the business, if I want to take the financial risk, I’ll run my own truck and make the profits.

These [zb] take with both hands.

the company is over in scarborough, ( won’t take ya long to find out who it is) check out me on picture of truck :slight_smile: :slight_smile: