Insuring young/inexperienced drivers

Do any of you owner operators on here insure and young or inexperienced drivers? Im looking for a driver and so far have had no luck but I have come across a lad whos just passed his test and is eager to get into driving.

His dad is a wagon driver so hes been around trucks all his life and more importantly hs knowledge of the bulk job. My problem is he’s 23 and as yet I haven’t had an insurance quote for him. I do feel sorry for the lad as he wants experience but so far no one is willing to give him a start.

I was given my first start on artic at just 22 so im keen to be able to help someone else out. Also he is currently only working a 3 day week so I could provide him with plenty of training before the busy harvest season kicks off.

Please share your thoughts if you’ve any experience of employing young drivers.

Matt

I asked my ex-boss and mentor about this once and he said that the insurance premium doesn’t increase but the excess goes up from £500 to £1,000.

I’d have no hesitation in taking a chance on a younger/newer driver if he/she seemed to be made of the right stuff, I’d just accept that they would need a bit of hand-holding and would make some typical rookie mistakes for the first few months until they got up to speed.

I reckon your man will appreciate the start and give the job his very best shot. So go for it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Call the insurance company and ask. I think this age thing is just BS companies spout because they haven’t got the balls to say ‘sorry, no newbies’
In today’s day and age I’m sure it would also be illegal for them to discriminate on age.
If I was in your position I’d take a newly qualified driver who was willing over an experienced set in his ways driver.
There’s such a lazy culture in today’s society when it comes to employment you should seriously consider giving him a chance but also remember he’s only going to be as good as you teach him. Also, expect him to have knocks and scrapes - but you could get this with ANY driver you employ.
If you have the time to invest in him and he has the wilingness to learn you can’t go far wrong.

i was told by my broker that there would be no increase in the premium, but, there would be some restrictions in place, this was for an 18 year old, he would only be able to drive the named vehicle, and he would have a higher excess on his vehicle

I did take a young inexperienced driver on around 10 years ago, although he was 26 at the time he had only had his class 1 for 8 months , he had been around trucks all his life and had travelled all over with his dad, I had to pay an extra £600 on the annual premium and the excess doubled, I took him on and never regretted a day, he was hardworking honest and super reliable and keen to do the job the right way (my way), yes he had a couple of little scrapes but in fairness he always had the balls to fess up to them which is all I would ever ask, he worked for me for 5 years when I had to lay him off due to the closure of the site he worked from, last I heard he was doing very well driving for Sainsbury’s at one of their DC’s.
If it feels right give the lad a go, even if you have to pay slightly more to insure him you will earn that back with his enthusiasm to work and prove himself plus you can mould him to do the job your way.

We took on a young lad three years ago, best driver we have! It put the excess on that truck up to a £1000 and he could only drive the one truck, I’d take another young lad on tomorrow if I could find one

I had no problems with adding a young driver a few years back , all they wanted was a increase in the excess for her.

I would ask your insurance company, if the 23yr old is keen why not give him a chance ?

Must say im very encouraged by your comments. Ill be speaking to insurance first thing in morning as I only got full details late in the day on Friday. Just not totally convinced Towergate are the most accommodating insurer! They tried to charge me an extra £2100 to add a vehicle for last 4 months of policy. Ended up transferring no claims onto the new addition and SORN the other one.
This lads dad has done the bulk job for 30 years and he’s already said ge can take him out for training where he works but there arent any available jobs. Also it would be good for him to get used to the job before winter kicks in. Its not easy going 5 miles down a minor road in the dark and with 4 inch of snow underfoot to find a farm!! Its an 06 wagon which is paid for so no great worry if he has a couple of bumps with it.

Matt.

Also just want to say good on you for wanting to give a younger driver a start on the ladder.

Fair play to you for giving the lad a chance, if it comes off,

The only bit I’d be slightly concerned about is where you say that his old man reckons that there are no jobs for his son where he works. It won’t stay like that forever so will he jump ship to his old man’s firm the first chance he gets having used you for experience, so to speak? Of course, you might be able to live with that.

Yes, if I had the time to train them.

In fact, did so on the Chep pallets, loopy juice on here, first class one job, now on for bird’s.

Did anything come of this Matt? Did he get the job and how has it worked out or did you steer clear?

m1cks:
Did anything come of this Matt? Did he get the job and how has it worked out or did you steer clear?

Yes mate I toom the plunge and he should start Monday all being well! Hes coming out with me Thursday and Friday just to see what it’s all about and see a few different mills and docks with me.

The insurance quote was very good in my opinion for a new lad with no experience. My policy expires on 10th November and to insure him from 1st July was £840 payable in two cheques. This is to drive the 06 MAN only and should he have a smash the excess is £800. At the same time I asked about a forecast for next years premium and at current levels it would be £2100 for motor insurance and £2755 with liabilities and GIT.

Wish me luck as an employer!!

Matt

Great news. I hope it works out well for both your benefits.

Bit late to this.

I took on a 24 year old back in january and he’s been excellent so far. His mate joined a couple of weeks ago, grand old age of 23. He’s been out on a test drive and seemed comfortable behind the wheel, if he’s like the 24 year old, I’m optimistic.

We double man a lot and therefore we get feedback from the other driver, it makes me feel a bit happier.

Insurance is another £500 on the excess if either of them have a bump.

You’re far better training keen young lads who want to do the job and don’t mind being told what to do than dealing with some gobby ■■■■ who doesn’t like being told what to do & will generally work the job to please himself rather than you.

Silver_Surfer:
You’re far better training keen young lads who want to do the job and don’t mind being told what to do than dealing with some gobby [zb] who doesn’t like being told what to do & will generally work the job to please himself rather than you.

+1

xfmatt - good on you pal.

I had an office of 12 staff and hired another 7 taking us to 19 in total 4 months ago. Took a gamble and hired 3/7 of them at 22 or under plus 2 in late twenties. They have been stars so far although do need a fair bit of coaching which was 100% expected. And yes they have all had a couple of f$ckups each…but I can handle that. So can you by the sounds.

Cheers…Joe.

Sometimes its the way you tell/ask people that can start them off

Ok I need serious advice on this subject. I had this young lad out with me for 2 days last week sat in the cab with me learning the ropes. Hes then been following me around for 4 days in his own wagon and everything, apart from his reversing was spot on. Today we tipped in a flour mill and I said thats it, you’re on you’re own now. Steady away no rushing take your time etc etc. BIG MISTAKE!!

An hour later he rang to say he’d caught the trailer on a telegraph pole. Said he’d followed sat nav into residential street and realised he was wrong and clipped it while turning round. I asked if the pole was damaged or anyones property he says no, just a scratch down the trailer so I says right, slow down take ya time and get it out your head. This was about 15.00.

Phone call at 17.20, ive had a crash, run up the arse of a car on a roundabout. So trying to stay calm asked him if anyone was hurt?? No everyone is fine the wagon only has minor damage but the car is pretty bad. Ok I say, when the police come give them my number and ill speak to them.

Just leaving work for home and I have private number incoming so answered it fully expecting Lincolnshire police on the other end. No, its PC whatever from West Yorkshire police, your vehicle has been involved in a fail to stop collision this afternoon. So I asks what with a telegraph pole? Yes thats right, its uprooted the pole enough to have to be replaced and pulled 12 telephone wires of neighbouring houses. Ohhhhhhhh… so will he br prosecuted for failing to stop? No, just words of advice at this stage.

What the hell should I do about it? Sack him or give him a last chance?

Matt

well, you do have grounds for instant dismissal, for basically telling lies about the amount of damage done

plus, you can get rid without having to give a reason, as he has only been there a very short while

on the other side, everyone has to learn sometime