Insuring young/inexperienced drivers

shuttlespanker:
well, you do have grounds for instant dismissal, for basically telling lies about the amount of damage done

plus, you can get rid without having to give a reason, as he has only been there a very short while

on the other side, everyone has to learn sometime

I realise everyone has to learn sometime but should I really let it be at my expense? It’s gonna cost £1600 in excess for the two claims so im wondering if they’ll even insure him again?

Regards the damage, he said he didnt get out to check the pole as he only ‘brushed it’. Surely you would see that it had uprooted the post and pulled the wires down??

Matt.

Sorry to hear about this matt, but you’re running a business. This will be the start, and from what you’ve described and from my own experience this won’t be the last, so I personally would get rid and try again. Try not to let it put you off young or inexperienced drivers. Did you let him drive all the time while training? I always do.

I just don’t know what to say, except that I imagine he will be beating himself up tonight. Maybe one final chance?

coiler:
Sorry to hear about this matt, but you’re running a business. This will be the start, and from what you’ve described and from my own experience this won’t be the last, so I personally would get rid and try again. Try not to let it put you off young or inexperienced drivers. Did you let him drive all the time while training? I always do.

No he sat with me in my wagon as hes only be insured on the 06 plate but hes driven by himself following me round for 4 days and been no problem. His reversing isnt the best but that will come.

What gets me is why he followed his bloody sat nav when he’d left the mill on his own just 4 hours before? Is it a lack of common sense or nerves kicking in? I feel sorry for the lad but can I really trust him to go down country lanes/tracks on his own in middle of winter!?

Matt

What has the lad said about it all? I was always in the camp of giving him a chance and so glad when you said you were. Was he trying too hard to impress? With regards to what you do now - that’s something only you can decide.

m1cks:
What has the lad said about it all? I was always in the camp of giving him a chance and so glad when you said you were. Was he trying too hard to impress? With regards to what you do now - that’s something only you can decide.

He said he’d only just caught the pole but he didn’t even get out to have a look which I told him he must always do if in doubt. Said he just panicked and got out of there. Very lucky the police arent getting involved cos I have a mate who did a similar thing to some concrete bollards and he was charged and banned for 6 months.

As for the rear end shunt I just don’t know what he was thinking to be fair but now his confidence is knocked is he going to do more damage?!

Matt.

Harry Monk:
I just don’t know what to say, except that I imagine he will be beating himself up tonight. Maybe one final chance?

I can tell the lad is genuinely gutted Harry and would love to think thats it now but im really not sure if I can trust him to do the job without damaging the wagon and my reputation.

Matt.

Hell fire Matt, i didn’t get involved in this earlier, but you can’t keep this lad on, he’s a liability and your insurance record is going round the U bend.

He’s proved himself untrustworthy with his denial of damage of the telegraph pole, you’ll never be able to trust him, why put yourself through this.

xfmatt:

coiler:

No he sat with me in my wagon as hes only be insured on the 06 plate but hes driven by himself following me round for 4 days and been no problem. His reversing isnt the best but that will come.

What gets me is why he followed his bloody sat nav when he’d left the mill on his own just 4 hours before? Is it a lack of common sense or nerves kicking in? I feel sorry for the lad but can I really trust him to go down country lanes/tracks on his own in middle of winter!?

Matt

Unfortunately I have seen this before. I’ve given inexperienced guys a chance, I had one once driving with me in the passenger seat for a week, everything seems to be going fine, I say “OK off you go, take your time, be careful” and off he goes and knocks a lamp post down while doing a U turn. This is immediately after asking a policeman for directions.

Use your judgement Matt, if you think he’s calmed down to give him another chance then go for it.

Unfortunately even though some people have passed a test they haven’t really got it to make a decent driver. Don’t be afraid to get rid and try someone else.

Sorry matt, I’m with Juddian on this one. As I said earlier, in the last 6 months I’ve taken on 2 under 25s and touch wood they’ve been OK, though we do a lot of double-manning. If I was in your shoes, I’d be getting rid. One error I’d give him another chance but two, no way.

Every time he goes out now, you’ll be waiting for the phone to ring and wondering if it’s going to be a serious accident.

Letting people go is unpleasant, but part of being an employer is making decisions about what is best for the business. I’d be surprised if he isn’t expecting to be fired.

albion:
Sorry matt, I’m with Juddian on this one. As I said earlier, in the last 6 months I’ve taken on 2 under 25s and touch wood they’ve been OK, though we do a lot of double-manning. If I was in your shoes, I’d be getting rid. One error I’d give him another chance but two, no way.

Every time he goes out now, you’ll be waiting for the phone to ring and wondering if it’s going to be a serious accident.

Letting people go is unpleasant, but part of being an employer is making decisions about what is best for the business. I’d be surprised if he isn’t expecting to be fired.

He did say I take it im sacked aren’t I but I just said we’ll wait to see what insurance says cos if its astronomical I can’t afford to pay it for someone ill find hard to trust again. But then there really is a lack of drivers round me at the moment!!

Might just be able to accept it was unlucky he caught the telegragh pole . What were the circumstances under which he rear ended a car ?. Completely unacceptable unless the car pulled in suddenly in front of him . Two accidents in one day is completely unacceptable . If you do keep him on , I would deduct the insurance excesses from his salary over the course of a year .

The pole is forgivable, but needs a flea in his ear about being responsible and honest.

Rear ending a car at a roundabout… Guess would be that he assumed car in front would go /had gone and turned his head right to watch the oncoming traffic, and BANG

Or approached too fast and simply couldn’t stop in time.

If the latter he’d have to be sent on his way, as it is a reckless abandon of responsibility for driving something big and heavy.
The former, well, he’d never do it again…

I guess by now you have made the decision anyway, so probably academic now. If it were me and I kept him on I’d want to watch his driving for a day or two, in the cab with him.

Im gonna see this lad on friday when he gets back to yard and ask him how hes feeling and what he wants to do. If he wants to stick around and feels confident enough that he’s put it behind him and prove to me he can do the job then im willing to give him a final chance. Reason is because if he has another smash it’ll cost £650 excess and he’ll be on his way anyway. If he doesn’t have another accident then he’s easily going to pay off the excess for previous accidents. The only problem will come in November when my insurance is up for renewal.

Matt.

Fingers crossed it works out Matt, I’m in two minds as to whether to put a driver on my truck when I go on holiday next month, but I know that if he/she has a bad week it could cause untold problems.

It’s refreshing to hear of an employer who’s prepared to listen to his staff instead of making snap judgements without hearing the full story.
Maybe his confidence has been knocked but sometimes that’s not a bad thing.

xfmatt:

Harry Monk:

I can tell the lad is genuinely gutted Harry and would love to think thats it now but im really not sure if I can trust him to do the job without damaging the wagon and my reputation.

Matt.

I was going to say sack him for lying about the pole but if he’s genuine & you’re sure he isn’t lying to you then maybe one more chance?

How could he not have noticed the uprooted telegraph pole & took down 12 phone lines, I appreciate he panicked & legged it but come ON!!!..

Tell him not to leg it in future, get out & hold his hand up like a man.

Next bloke I take on, it’ll be “don’t lie to
me or you’re gone.”

Thing is a driver is a driver. If he’s a good car driver chances are he’ll be a good wagon driver, you just have to do everything in slow motion.

Max weight artic driving is worlds apart from light weight. You’ll have to take the ■■■■ & offer to put a retarder on his motor… :slight_smile:

Could admin please remove this post circumstances have evolved today. Thanks for all your input!

xfmatt:
Could admin please remove this post circumstances have evolved today. Thanks for all your input!

Ohhhh the intrigue :slight_smile:

Silver_Surfer:

xfmatt:

Ohhhh the intrigue :slight_smile:

Maybe once the dust settles you can update us. Just hope he’s not had another prang.