Information needed regarding owning a truck

Hi,

Hope you can help, this is an enquiry of behalf of my hubby, he is a retired truckdriver and his dream was always to own a Scania of his own, just to drive when he wants for his own plesure not to earn from (not yet anyway, although I reckon he will change his mind!) Anyway for the time being my questions is :

Is this possible, with regards to laws and insurance etc?

He has been trying to research this for such a long time now and really getting nowhere so Im taking over to see if I can help make it come true for him.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Kelly

clashcityrocker1:
Hi,

Hope you can help, this is an enquiry of behalf of my hubby, he is a retired truckdriver and his dream was always to own a Scania of his own, just to drive when he wants for his own plesure not to earn from (not yet anyway, although I reckon he will change his mind!) Anyway for the time being my questions is :

Is this possible, with regards to laws and insurance etc?

He has been trying to research this for such a long time now and really getting nowhere so Im taking over to see if I can help make it come true for him.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Kelly

Just go and buy the scania that you want, remove the fifth wheel, get it MOT’d and insured.

Hi

Thanks for reply… is it really that simple?

I dont know if you would know but are we to go for insurance via HGV insurers or normal run of mill insurance company?

Really hope its that easy!

Thanks again
Kelly

clashcityrocker1:
Hi

Thanks for reply… is it really that simple?

I dont know if you would know but are we to go for insurance via HGV insurers or normal run of mill insurance company?

Really hope its that easy!

Thanks again
Kelly

It is that simple yes. You may need to check a few insurance companies as my experience with some of the bigger ones was that i struggled to insure anything other than a ‘standard’ vehicle but a few calls to your local brokers will sort it out for you. Just to clarify, you will not be able to run the truck for commercial use like this but just for private use.

If he has got a HGV licence, theres no need to remove the 5th wheel.
My show truck …

is insured through Barry Grainger barrygraingerinsurance.co.uk/ It is a restricted mileage classic truck policy (5000miles per year) and obviously has no comercial cover, but only costs me £110.00 per year.
The road tax is £165.00 per year as a private HGV.
Go and buy the truck of your dreams! if you require any further assistance, just holler. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Will get hubby back on the case tomorrow and get in touch with that insurance company - thanks again for the replies.

Drive safe !
Kelly

Well there’s a certain dandy ex-boxer, who drives a Peterbuilt around London for his own pleasure. So its certainly possible. He doesn’t even have, or need, an HGV(LGV) licence.

You need to find out exactly what he wants.
Probably a Scania 143 450 hi-line unit. They were the top dog of their time.
It can be insured and taxed as a private vehicle providing the fifth wheel is removed.

There is very little that’s difficult about doing this.
You can have a look through these sites, they are all the government departments that deal with transport. You should be able to find all the official answers to your questions in there somewhere. It will probably take a fair bit of digging though.

VOSA
D of T
DVLA

They all have e-mail contact info, so you can get any further questions answered direct from the horses mouth, so to speak :smiley: .
They all have links to other departments too.

There will almost certainly be a few people around, nearer the weekend, who will be able to give you some more precise pointers.

Simon:
It can be insured and taxed as a private vehicle providing the fifth wheel is removed.

I presume you mean that If the driver does not have a HGV licence, the 5th wheel has to be removed, because if the driver does have a HGV licence, you don’t need to remove it.

Just to add…

If your hubby is retired and hasn’t taken a medical recently, chances are his HGV entitlement has expired.

This still doesn’t matter though as all you need to do is find a unit that weighs under 7.5 tonnes and unbolt the fifth wheel (The 7.5t limit is with the fifth wheel removed). Personally I’d replace the fifth wheel you’ve removed with one of those dummy chrome ones they use on show vehicles.

It’ll then need taking to a VOSA Test Centre to be replated as less than 7.5t GVW and reclassed as PLG - the same as a car/van with the DVLA.

Dont forget the road tax.

If it is taxed as a private vehicle and not for the carriage of goods then it is the same price as a car.

Mothertrucker:
Dont forget the road tax.

If it is taxed as a private vehicle and not for the carriage of goods then it is the same price as a car.

I think that was mentioned above.

I bet you can find one in the under 1500cc band though :laughing:

I just wanted to say thank you for all the replies, hubby now getting round to finer details of Scania he wants, and checking out insurance. Please continue to post though if anyone has anything to add and I’ll post pic when he gets his truck!
Thank you so much again
Kelly