!starting on my own!

BECAUSE IVE JUST RECENTLY PASSED MY CLASS 1 (MAY) AND NOBODY WILL TOUCH ME TO DRIVE A TRUCK FOR THEM, IM LOOKING AT GOING ON MY OWN, BUT WHERE DO I BEGIN?
I KNOW I NEED AN OPERATORS LICENCE, AND OFCOURSE INSURANCE, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO DO?
IM 24years old AND WITH LESS THAN 1 YEARS EXPERIANCE IS THERE AN INSURANCE THAT WOULD TOUCH ME?

ANYBODIES HELP WOULD GREAT!!!

First thing you need is a DAF 95 XF SSC, The best value one around at present is here

DAF XF95 430 SUPER SPACE CAB 6X2 TRACTOR UNIT

2003 on a 53 Plate, 430BHP EURO 3 (LEZ COMPLIANT)

ZF 16 SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX, MIDLIFT STEERING AXLE

SLIDING FIFTH WHEEL, FRONT FOG / SPOT LAMPS

BRAND NEW EDBRO WET KIT TIPPING GEAR

AIR SUSPENDED SUPER SPACE TWINSLEEPER CAB, HALF LEATHER

WOOD EFFECT DASH, FRIDGE, AIR CONDITIONING

CD STEREO, CRUISE CONTROL, TWO OWNERS FROM NEW, 512,000KMS

TESTED END OCTOBER 2008
( BUT WILL CONSIDER RETESTING FOR 12 MONTHS FOR RIGHT MONEY)

£Offers invited + vat (Finance can be arranged)

When you buy this motor, I’ll help you out with everything you’ll need to become an Owner operator. :sunglasses:

image resized…Denis F

Have a look as to what is involved in getting an operators licence on the VOSA website.

Personally I doubt whether an insurance company would insure you at any kind of premium that you would be prepared/able to pay.

It all seems very easy to buy a truck and make money, but it sure isn’t. Apart from all the legal stuff, you need to get work, invoce it, and most importantly get paid!

I work as a part time Transport Manager for new or small operators who don’t have the relevant qualifications(CPC), and to be honest I don’t know why they bother at all, they could make more money more easily just driving.

Sorry if thats not what you want to hear, maybe someone may be more positive - but I doubt it.

for a start dont shout when asking questions unless youre stood between two running reefers, then put your money in the bank and wait for the economy to improve,

personally i dont think many companies will take you seriously with your age and lack of experience, im not knocking you for it as i am the same with a severe lack of experience.

i know how much you want to do it but have a serious think about it to start with.

good luck in what ever you do though

Hi, I started my own haulage company when I was 23, that was 23 years ago and I had no problems with insurance, things will have changed a bit since then. Do you get any truck mags? Give an insurance company a call from one that advertises in there, cost nothing to ask.

I have also sent you a PM(private message)

thanks for ur responses :confused: i do like the daf xf’s.
the thing is smart mart, it sounds easy just driving a wagon for somebody, but no 1 will employ me to do so espeically where i live where theres hardly any haulage companies to start off with. ive been doing factory work for the last 8 years and its driving me insane :angry: all i want to do is get on the open road just like my grandad and my dad used to do.

Then do it. If you’ve enough money, there will be an insurance provider who will cover your risk. In your situation, it will be the amount of cash you have that will be the deal breaker.

When we looked at taking a lad on that was aged 21, test passed approx 4 months earlier, we checked with our Insurers and all they were looking for was an additional £500.00 on the excess, which doesn’t sound too bad. - particularly as you won’t be having an accident , will you? :wink:

At the moment I would try and get a job. It is possible with perseverance. That way you’ll have a bit more experience under your belt before trying to branch out on your own.

If you do go for your own motor, it can be done. I took over 3 vans from my Dad in’91 ( and i don’t underestimate the benefits of that start) and now have a mixed fleet of 20. It was a lot of very hard work for not a lot of money to start with and I got some lucky breaks as well, but it came right after the first few years. You have to sit down and work out your costs and therefore your price - don’t go by what someone else says they charge; work it out for yourself.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Do a search on this site for setting up, theres been lots of posts in the past about it now, some good , some bad, its your decision at the end of the day so it is…

type in owner drivers or starting up in the search facility and you will get everything you need, good and bad. you say there are few hauliers in your area, is,nt carlisle the home base of britains biggest haulage company, steady eddie, but my advice is research, research, research before you make a decision or you will come unstuck before you get started.

good luck

Another difficulty in starting is really you need to approach companies and have work lined up before buying the motor, but they tend to say “yeah maybe, give us a shout when you’ve got you’re wheels.”
Which isn’t really much help.

there’s lots of things you need to think about :wink:

to be honest, not being able to get a job is not a good reason to set up on your own!

Ok so you raise the money to buy Tramper’s (very nice) Daf, can you afford to run it for three months without any income ? Fuel bills , insurance, servicing bills etc. will start to arrive as soon as you buy the truck, but with most customers wanting monthly invoices and 60 day payment terms it’s hard to get started.

Have you got any work lined up ? you’ve no experience , do you have any good contacts in the haulage industry ? As a newcomer you’re likely just to end up with the badly paid jobs that nobody else will do!

At this stage my opinion is that you should keep trying to get a job, get yourself some experience and contacts and one day you will be ready to go on your own.

Good luck whatever you decide

thanks for the advise denis, ill defo take that in mind!!
and as for stobart carlisle at the moment, well thats up in the air at the moment as they could be taking it out and moving to widnes!! it all depends on the carlisle city council giving mr tinkler the planning permission to make carlisle airport open for business as he bought the site and called it ‘stobartair’ already!
the council have got until jan’09 to make the choice or he’s off! i know a few folk who do work there and they said if it stops in carlisle u will be straight in on night tramping.
i have applied for crick, warrington and nr leeds for driving jobs, just waiting for a response back (fingers crossed) :neutral_face:

Denis F:

to be honest, not being able to get a job is not a good reason to set up on your own!

Ok so you raise the money to buy Tramper’s (very nice) Daf, can you afford to run it for three months without any income ? Fuel bills , insurance, servicing bills etc. will start to arrive as soon as you buy the truck, but with most customers wanting monthly invoices and 60 day payment terms it’s hard to get started.

Including finance payments & taking a just a reasonable wage out + all of the above & more, i figure you’d make a large hole in £25 grand there.

Am i right other O/D’s?

Driveroneuk:

Denis F:

Including finance payments & taking a just a reasonable wage out + all of the above & more, i figure you’d make a large hole in £25 grand there.

Am i right other O/D’s?

you’d be looking at between 12 and 20 grand for fuel alone over the 1st 3 months :frowning:

Go to your bank draw out all your money, the deeds to your house & your marriage certificate & set them on fire, then spend the next few years having sleepless nights while banging your head against the wall, it`ll be a much less painful experience than being an OD in this economic climate :unamused:

On a more serious note, if you do decide to do it, start with a little van & learn how to be a businessman first, then work your way up. its a nice idea but you just passed your test so go out there & knock on doors, dont give up & youll get there in the end, not one of us was born with experience & we all managed it somehow.

Good luck :sunglasses:

i will give you any advice on what you need to do to start on your own, and i also live in carlisle. hell if you like i will sell you my spare truck and trailer and supply you with full time on going regular work, but please bear this in mind,
1 you must like topline scanias
2 you must like nights out
3 you must run legal
4 you must make sure you not in any way sane!!!
:laughing:

1.i dont mind scannys
2.i work nights now!
3.i will run legal
4.i am insane

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Point 1 goes to prove point 4

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Go for it, you only regret the things you didn’t do… :smiley: