!starting on my own!

ur right shuttle!!!

chappy261…
email me if you would like to talk, cheers
jimbob_uk_28@yahoo.co.uk

In some ways, i think that now is good time to start. If you can make a success of it in the current economic climate, then as it improves (a few years away yet) things should go well for you.

In any agreements with customers, be sure to have a clause whereby rising fuel costs can be directly passed on.

Now is certainly THE time to be buying secondhand motors!
They’re absolutely worthless at present!

I purchased my first motor after only 2 years experience. I would never tell somebody not to follow in my foot steps. But understand these points.

You’ll need a start up capital of at least 40k (plus the cost of tractor)
Never be beholdent to some one. Be totally independant. Your own operators license, fuel cards.
If you can purchase yr first tractor out right then do so, less pressure. 15k is plenty for yr first. Big isn’t always best. Modest horse power, adequte cab size. Lights and bling don’t earn pennies. Maximise your earning potential, 3 axles, tipping gear.

This is not a get rich quick scheme. The transport industry is full of empty promises. If someone offers you something thats too good to be true it probably is.

It’s a good time to buy right now cos the market is flooded with tractors from hauliers that have gone to the wall. If thats not enough to put you off then good luck.

MR VAIN:
The transport industry is full of empty promises. If someone offers you something thats too good to be true it probably is.

never a truer word spoken

Another very interesting thread.
Any chance of an update?

Do logistics for the army you will get in there :slight_smile:

To gain experience try registering with a few agencies and keep pestering them for work on your time off, ie weekends or if you work shifts. You could even volunteer to go with another driver for the shift to get a feel for it FOC (did i just say that?), with the clients permission first tho. I know most truck drivers would be willing to help you get experience and would gladly let you take the wheel for a couple of hours up the motorway :slight_smile:
I think your age might go against you tho, under 25 is a bit of a risk, however, sometimes agencies need mr ‘right-now’ not ‘mr right’! :wink:

I would recommend the agencies,get some serious time in behind the wheel.
At this time of year there must be work for the parcel companies or Royal Mail.,find out if your local Comet or P.C. World employ or farm out there workas you have never been employed in this game you would find it very hard to drive and run a business all at the same time.

MR VAIN:
I purchased my first motor after only 2 years experience. I would never tell somebody not to follow in my foot steps. But understand these points.

You’ll need a start up capital of at least 40k (plus the cost of tractor)
Never be beholdent to some one. Be totally independant. Your own operators license, fuel cards.
If you can purchase yr first tractor out right then do so, less pressure. 15k is plenty for yr first. Big isn’t always best. Modest horse power, adequte cab size. Lights and bling don’t earn pennies. Maximise your earning potential, 3 axles, tipping gear.

This is not a get rich quick scheme. The transport industry is full of empty promises. If someone offers you something thats too good to be true it probably is.

It’s a good time to buy right now cos the market is flooded with tractors from hauliers that have gone to the wall. If thats not enough to put you off then good luck.

Excellent points, very well put
Take heed