Info for the night drivers re 24hr cafe at Donnington Park

As of this week the 24hr cafe in the southbound layby on the A453 at Donington Park can NO LONGER SERVE HOT FOOD/DRINKS as they’ve had their licence revoked by the local council for serving food through the night. I can’t remember the cut off time on an evening but you can’t get a HOT drink/food until 0500 in the morning.

They can still sell cans of pop, crisps and cold sarnies but I asked for several different fillings and they had nothing in stock other than tuna :unamused: .

So if you want a brew and a bacon butty, forget it.

The above info came from the owners and was asked to pass it on.

Dirty little hovel anyway . Ona sunday night when the DHL lot were out early they crammed the place , trucks parked anyhow . Not i , I went there once and it was enough for me to make sure i didn’t go back .

All the same though , what is it with this country not serving overnight food besides overpriced muck from a services or extortionate egg and cress sandwiches and an overpriced ginsters …

I dont use any of them i stick to Mcdonalds whenever i can at least its clean, I cant remember the last time i was in one of them horrible little caravan,container things.

On my travels I have seen even petrol stations having signs up saying that they cannot serve hot food and drinks between 2300 and 0500.

Maybe something to do with new licensing laws■■?

maybe something to do with a country so obsessed with brining in new rule and regulations that nobodies got time to make it a decent place to live!

chippy near me recently had sign about closing at 2300 no good to him he had trade when the pubs kicked out council ruling

the crazy thing is, we actually pay the wages of the people responsible for coming up with these lunatic rulings, a bloke can sell a sausage sarnie up to a certain time but after that he can only sell a cheese n tomato until a set time next morning, then he can sell his sausage sarnies again, WTF :confused:
the rest of the world must look at us in disbelieve!

Police advise drivers to take a break of at least 15 mins every 2 hours. So what exactly are we supposed to do with this time when we can’t get a bacon butty or a brew anywhere (at night)?

you go into an msa and pay £3.50 for a cup of thick black stuff that was once coffeee, then sit and drink it while the local gypoes cut your curtains!

paul b:
you go into an msa and pay £3.50 for a cup of thick black stuff that was once coffeee, then sit and drink it while the local gypoes cut your curtains!

Apparently the MSAs can’t sell hot drinks now either. That was the tale in Donnington Park MSA garage a few hours ago. W T F is going on? :open_mouth:

so the coffee machines in garages have had the block put on em as well??
“whats going on”? f knows! there must be some sort of board or comitee somewhere who has sat down and come up with this new rule, try and put yourself in one of those chairs and come up with a reason this is a good idea, it’s impossible!
are they on drugs or what?

Well dunno, but when I was in Donnington Park 24hr cafe t’other night, a couple of drivers were talking about the MSAs had started doing same. One mentioned was Barnsdale Bar on the A1 (Shell garage) and another was Watford Gap.

I stopped at Donnington Park MSA garage for a / a few hours ago and there were a bunch of drivers and plod in there moaning about the coffee machine being blocked off in there too.

Like I say, we’re told to take a break every 2 hours and get a brew etc, but how can we when no-one’s allowed to serve hot food/drinks.

I bet it’s some crap that come from Brussels. You can virtually guarantee it :angry: .

Somebody somewhere has seriously screwed up when they brought this licence BS in .
Mind it’s no surprise coming from this shower of … in charge .
Surely something has to be done . It affects every road user over night !

I decided to research this matter last night. So what better way to ask the man in the Chinese take away.
He explained that if they wish to sell hot food and drinks they need a license it would be the same licence you need to keep a take away or pub open after 2300.
These licences cost about £300.00 for the first year and are different, it is upto the local council on cost.They are rising next year…

If any more research is called for on these matters I will duly oblige… :laughing:

late night refreshment
Under the Licensing Act 2003 (“the Act”), the supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment can all be carried on under one authorisation.

Regulated entertainment
For the purposes of the Act, the provision of late night refreshment means the supply of hot food or hot drink to the public, for consumption on or off the premises, between 11pm and 5am or the supply of hot food or hot drink to any persons between those hours on or from premises to which the public has access.

Food or drink is “hot” for the purposes of the Act if it is heated on the premises or elsewhere before it is supplied for the purpose of enabling it to be consumed at above ambient air temperature, or if it may be heated on the premises for this purpose after it is supplied.

The Act provides for a number of supplies to be exempt supplies which will not constitute the provision of late night refreshment. Examples are the provision of hot drink by vending machines in certain circumstances; where the hot food or hot drink is supplied free of charge; or where it is supplied by a registered charity.

Including late night take-aways and fast-food outlets in the Act extends the licensing regime which previously operated in most of London to all of England and Wales. The Government felt this was necessary to protect local residents because premises which serve late night refreshment can be used by customers who may have been drinking at other premises earlier in the evening, thereby creating the potential for disorder on and near the premises. Also, because large numbers of customers may gather at places serving late night refreshments, there is a potential for nuisance and disturbance for local residents. The regulation of late night refreshment tackles these issues and allows residents and other interested parties and responsible authorities to make representations about applications for new and variations to existing licences, and to seek reviews of licences where they are concerned that the licensing objectives will be or have been affected.

It is also anticipated that the provisions will help drive up standards within the late night hospitality sector and encourage greater diversification of the evening economy.

brit_mark, can you post where you found that extract please.