24hr cafes - where are they all?

Finding some freshly cooked food at sensible prices of a night time is a pretty hard task. My usual “hole” is the cafe just off 35A on the M1 which can knock up a decent breakfast / bacon butty for sensible money.

I’m aware of the [zb]hole that is the cafe on the 453 at Donington Park and also the portakabins on the A1 at Elkesley. Any others chaps? (MSAs need not apply).

u tight fisted git buy the following book :laughing: : Truckers Handbook by lisa marie melbourne, ISBN 1 84425 210 8.

The book has a lot of info for newly passed LGV drivers but on the back section there is a map for the full of the UK showing truck stops, fuel bunkers, trucker cafes etc…it has a break down of what is on site for each & what fuel cards are taken there.

Daz

Even better, cos it’s free, is the Highways Agency Truckstop Guide for England.

Cartgate on the 303 is 24 hour

Not sure what junction number it is, but just off the first exit on the M5 south of the M4 there is a van that was still open at midnight tonight. Coming southbound, turn left at the bottom of the slip road and it was a couple of hundred metres along on the left.

Denis F:
Cartgate on the 303 is 24 hour

I called there other week and asked for a ham salad. No problem she said, £3.50 please. I was gobsmacked. You can get a full roast dinner from the same place and it will only cost 50p/£1.00 more and there is MORE than enough. I can’t understand their pricing :confused:

Her explanation was that ham salad is expensive :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Coffeeholic:
Not sure what junction number it is, but just off the first exit on the M5 south of the M4 there is a van that was still open at midnight tonight. Coming southbound, turn left at the bottom of the slip road and it was a couple of hundred metres along on the left.

theres also a 24 hour van off M5 J25 at Taunton ( on the A358 towards Illminster)

they don’t like you turning into the layby from the motorway direction though :wink:

Dogmanbodie:
I called there other week

I was in there about a month ago - I think they were having a bad day :wink:

Nice one. Any round M1 Northampton way or Birmingham / M6 ?

Passed one last night on A2 coming from Dover that was still open at 11pm

m6 j12 follow a5 for about half a mile towards cannock on your left
is the hollies cafe and truckstop.
they serve food 24/7. :wink:

Rob K:
Nice one. Any round M1 Northampton way or Birmingham / M6 ?

Rugby Truckstop on the A5.

Bumpers Farm at Chippenham (is it Chippenham?) off the M4, (I think) is a 24 hour burger bar, except that they do some mighty fine kebabs, with some ■■■■ fine pickled chillies.

There is also currently a late night burger bar just off Junction 5 (Droitwich) on the A38, Come off S/B and turn right. It’s about a mile or so at the next roundabout, although parking could be a problem, in which case 360 the roundabout and pull into the Berry Hill Industrial Estate.

For anyone crossing the Cotswolds, there is also alate night Kebab wagon sited in the middle of the town. Again, parking is a problem, but heading northbound there is normally chance to park on the downhill stretch and walk back.

There used to be a late night burger bar off the M5 at J18, which opened at about 2100 but I haven’t seen it for some time. Perhaps he has re-located to wher Neil mentioned.

Personally, I like to support ‘private enterprise’, although if I can see in evidence a Food Hygiene Certificate, I’m more likely to return.

Rugby Truckstop on the A5.

They dont serve food between 11pm and 5am anymore. I dont think any NightOwl Truckstop does anymore.

J26 M25, late night food van. 7pm til 5am, 7 Days a week!

Bit route for you Rob, but the Red Lodge on the A11 just to the east of Newmarket is 24/7, after all 100’s of flies cant be wrong :wink:

mr jinx:
m6 j12 follow a5 for about half a mile towards cannock on your left
is the hollies cafe and truckstop.
they serve food 24/7. :wink:

slight correction - they slop up pigswill 24 hours per day, i cannot stomach the place and always head for sandeford (sp?) farm at featherstone if i’m in that area, don’t think they’re 24 hours though