Image Copyright

As a fellow driver and a follower of the preservation scene why is there such an outcry when someone elses pictures appear when they are only being posted to help jog peoples memories of fallen companies.Most if not all of these pictures are technically stolen in the first place,cannot ever remember any of my previous bosses ever being phoned to ask if it was alright for pictures of there lorries to be taken.People out there are making a small fortune from these old pics,ebay etc.Wonder what they would say if the owners of these trucks asked for a fee everytime they sold a picture.I put it like this,everytime we use your images more people see them,you sell more,everybody happy,good outcome all round.Bad scenario owners of vehicles do not want the pictures on show,for sale,or any uses whatsoever we all lose and the historical element is lost forever.Sorry if this seems like a rant but i would like to know what other drivers views are on this issue. Cheers Steve

Hi Steve,
A lot of Hauliers have willingly lent me pics to post on this forum. A few have a look on here as guests, as one of them said there’s no harm in taking a photo of their lorry. As you point out its nice to see these trucks from the past, its all about nostalgia. I can understand someone who runs another site getting upset if a pic gets lifted. But if you have pics, get them on.
Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave. Thanks for swift reply,have some shots of my own (not great quality),will put them on no prob. Its just great to see better quality pictures than mine,we all have had good times out there why not share them.Cheers Steve

From my point of view, any image posted on here or anywhere else for that matter is in the pubic domain, none of my image’s are copyright, and can be used for non commercial use,
Note that my website does not have any advertising.
Dave.

Hi
A couple of thoughts on this are that if the vehicles are in a public place then anyone can photograph them, on that note anyone selling pictures of our lorries have always given me a copy.
The photos I take are for mine and everyones pleasure.But what I object to is people/companies taking them & using them for profit or advertising

Hi folks,on the D M Smith have the corgi model :smiley: ,this is what i am talking about , where is the problem of using photos that are already in the public domain.

There’s nothing wrong in passing on memories, if I was a haulier I’d not want to be forgotten. The wagons travel along for everyone to see for free, so why should they be hidden from our screens unless we pay up ?
I agree the real photo is always best, but what when the old picture was never taken, is it really wrong to doctor a photo just for nostalgia, or jog someone elses memory ?