Im in the wrong job

I worked yesterday on agency for Somerfield. My second drop was to a Somerfield/Texaco petrol station.
I got talking to the cashier a nice lad prob early twentys. The thing is he was on £15.40 an hour andi was only on £14.50.
Not putting service station staff down but i done that job 19 years ago when i was 18.
I got a family now but earn less than a teenager :frowning:

Talking out of his ■■■■■■ would be my guess to wind you up.

sounds like he were on double time

Yes he was on double time. His normal is £7.70. I was on my so called double time which if it was true would be between £16.50 and £18.50 as it was 3 years ago until De Poel got there nose in the trough.
I wouldnt mind a part time garage job at least i would be gauranteed wages atthis time of year.

Yes the lad definitely must have been on double time that day, but if you were on it too, it would be a bit of a shocker to know how driving wages have fallen.

The difference is that he will probably do 8 hour shifts and only work for 40 hours. It may be an easy job but I can’t manage on 300 quid a week top line.

Hasn’t it always been the way that driving money is only good because you get lots of hours in? I know it was when I went from FLT driving for £5ph to HGV at £4.75 10 years ago… :bulb:

Lucy:
Hasn’t it always been the way that driving money is only good because you get lots of hours in? I know it was when I went from FLT driving for £5ph to HGV at £4.75 10 years ago… :bulb:

As ever, it depends upon the company one works for. Depending upon overtime to make up ones money is a dangerous game, especially now. An old boy I worked with once said to me ‘if you can’t live on the basic, don’t take the job’, pretty sound advice.

Now that is good advice. Up to 4 years ago i never ever worked Sundays. Then one yeari decided to treat the kids to a Florida holidays with all the trimmings villa, swimming with dolphins etc so i had to start working sundays for 6 months.
Well er 3 years later im still on them and they are not an extra at the moment. :blush:

Ragnarok:

Lucy:

As ever, it depends upon the company one works for. Depending upon overtime to make up ones money is a dangerous game, especially now. An old boy I worked with once said to me ‘if you can’t live on the basic, don’t take the job’, pretty sound advice.

But haulage is and always has been more than a basic 40 hours, it is the nature of the job and the reason so many people are suddenly shocked when they spend 2k for a licence and listen to the hype of earning 40k. it happens, but not normally as a new starter.

These same people also see a part time NHS or Council labourer job advertised for £27000 without understanding what Pro Rata means.

My friend worked for M&S on BP station and they had triple time every bank holiday…

Im not being funny but I think you might be being a bit melodramatic here :stuck_out_tongue:
So the guy got a premiem for a bank holiday that was more then yours? Do you have to work nights and afternoons and no 1.5 wages for over time? Do you have to put up with all the countries scum coming in to your work place treating you like you’re below them or running off with out paying? No you dont, I know what if rather do for work :wink:

our official company line is"we dont recognise public holidays" :imp:
the 8 bank hols are put into your hol entitlement,and you have to book them off…providing there isnt too many drivers already off! if you work one,its for the same flat rate as a wet wednesday in october!..this years hol form has already gone in…the agy lads are welcome to all my bank hol pay! :imp:

Wheel Nut:

Ragnarok:

Lucy:

But haulage is and always has been more than a basic 40 hours, it is the nature of the job and the reason so many people are suddenly shocked when they spend 2k for a licence and listen to the hype of earning 40k. it happens, but not normally as a new starter.

These same people also see a part time NHS or Council labourer job advertised for £27000 without understanding what Pro Rata means.

I try to only do 9 hours per day mon-fri but I know it is a lot easier to do that driving Class 2 as I do, and more difficult if one is driving Class 1. I would not like to work 60 hours per week to make my money and I don’t need to earn a fortune to live.

I know that for many people, especially with kids, it isn’t that easy though. One reason I have not bothered to take my Class 1 is that I don’t want the kind of work that involves nights out, foreign travel or tramping. Just a personal choice on my part :slight_smile:

orys:
My friend worked for M&S on BP station and they had triple time every bank holiday…

If you work for Gist you get double time and a lieu day for bank Holidays. New Years Day and Boxing Day are paid at double time and two lieu days.

I heard Drivers Direct lost the contract at Somerfield (Lea Green) has the new agency dropped the rates?

I worked xmas day night into boxing day and was payed double time (it was alot more that that too) and a day off for it, however i don’t get a choice, if it falls on my shift then tough. didn’t have to work new year eve or day this year for the first time in 8 years, swings and roundabouts really i don’rt get a choice but get paid well for it. if i had the choice and wasn’t happy with the rate i was being payed then i wouldn’t work it. You must of been happy in the first instance to work it

Ragnarok:

Lucy:

Sound advice and a mantra I live by.
I never do overtime as I stay within my means on the basic.Some have to do it all the time which is unfortunate and now it’s the New Year the overtime will be non existent.

I wasn’t happy with the rate I was desperate for the money. This last 6 months have been very tough for me. Also I done a 12 hour shunt shift for £138 is the equivalent staff shunted for same shift with day in lieu etc got a package of £450. Driver direct havedrppoed from 60 percent of work 20. Rates never changed.

that 11,50 an hour for shunting, some would give thier right arm for that, the employer pays alot more than that (agency perk)and so they don’t have to give the day in lieu (There perk). being an agency driver you get to choose when and where you work (your perk) like i said there are pro’s and cons to it all, but at the end of the day you still have the choice.