Tell me I'm wrong

I’ve been a driver for over 31 years now. Almost without exception I’ve been lied to about the terms and conditions of every job I’ve worked on. I’ve CONSTANTLY had to check my money because for some reason people employed to count numbers aren’t very good at it( applies to pre-driving work too!). The money turns out to be less than stated. The hours turn out to be more. And in my time at it I’ve seen proper O/T rates disappear. Saturday was time and a half. Sunday was double time. Bank hols were double plus a day in lieu or treble. Sick pay wasn’t unusual. Bonuses were handed out occasionally. Booking time off with some companies is like pulling teeth. Putting money in the bank was easy even though my overheads were considerably more than they are now.

Tell me I’m wrong!

Your wrong i get time and a half on a saturday and double time on a sunday.But during the week i go onto time and a half after 9 hours should be 8 hours and £30 a night out.

Me too…

Saturday is time and a half, Sunday’s double bubble and Bank holidays too.

last job i had was £9 an hour after 45hrs worked,it rose to £10 an hour ever hour after. sundays and bank holidays paid at 13.50 an hour but paid bank holiday too at £85 a day,20 days holiday per year paid at average wage from previous year,£25 night out and NO sick pay,just what the government pays,oh and zero hours contract

Can understand a higher rate of pay after a fixed number of hours but have never got my head around saturday and sunday overtime rates :confused: Seven days in a week and each one just being named differently, one being no different to another, why is sat and sun an exception??
Three years ago i picked up a good bit of work for an extra truck and rented a unit and trailer for three months, paid the driver 14eur ph up to 8hrs and 21eur thereafter per day but that was across the board sat and sun inc…

You’re wrong

What was the question?

When I started on vans 33+ yrs ago anything over 8 was time & a half sat was one and a half sun x2 as was bank holiday with a day in lieu.

Moved to salary but extra for weekends etc.
Went on to gen haulage it was back to time, time and 1/4 ot time 1/2 sat up till noon then x2 till midnight sun.
Bank holidays etc .

I’m now on salary again the only ot is a set rate paid all hours the day / night worked.

Since you asked, you’re wrong.

Your username is clearly very well earned.

If you’ve been lied to about your T&C’s that’s terrible and grounds for leaving any job in my view. The rest of it?? I’m not really fussed as I wasn’t around then so I don’t know any better… But I do hear that in the past women weren’t allowed to do anything but cook, clean, and ■■■■. I don’t see anyone jumping around saying their home is terrible now as a result… Flippant I know, but you see my point, things change, for the good of others sometimes, for the good of yourselves other times. Its just the way the world works at the minute that’s all.

Money doesn’t really have the same value to me, because even if it was double time Sunday and triple time on a bank on holiday, my time off is worth much much more than that to me, you aren’t around on this planet for long. Personally I would much rather have good rates for the days that I’m at work for, not stellar rates for the days when I should be at home ■■■■■■■■ the missus if I’m lucky or being down the pub with some mates if I’m not.

While I do sympathise with you older chaps who have seen their T&C’s change dramatically, they aren’t, and they never have been for me.

TiredAndEmotional:
I’ve been a driver for over 31 years now. Almost without exception I’ve been lied to about the terms and conditions of every job I’ve worked on. I’ve CONSTANTLY had to check my money because for some reason people employed to count numbers aren’t very good at it( applies to pre-driving work too!). The money turns out to be less than stated. The hours turn out to be more. And in my time at it I’ve seen proper O/T rates disappear. Saturday was time and a half. Sunday was double time. Bank hols were double plus a day in lieu or treble. Sick pay wasn’t unusual. Bonuses were handed out occasionally. Booking time off with some companies is like pulling teeth. Putting money in the bank was easy even though my overheads were considerably more than they are now.

Tell me I’m wrong!

You are wrong.

Anyone coming to work for us does so with a very clear understanding of what the job entails, we run through the good and bad points, happy to show previous weeks timesheets. People that do the wages are like drivers, they can make mistakes; fortunately both rarely do,(though when the accounts guy goes on holiday and I do the wages…some people get more , some people get less cos I’m rubbish at the PAYE system. :blush:

Money is as it says at the interview, overtime after 8 hours, double sundays and BH is + a day in lieu. Bonus at Xmas. Sick Pay is standard, but it is for me, so at least I believe in equality :wink: Small company, you can have pretty much any time you want off, though if two people have booked the same time, you’ve had it.

yourhavingalarf:
Me too…

Same here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colin_scottish:
Your wrong i get time and a half on a saturday and double time on a sunday.But during the week i go onto time and a half after 9 hours should be 8 hours and £30 a night out.

You’re doing well on all counts. But certainly the exception rather than the rule.

yourhavingalarf:
Me too…

And you too!

albion:

TiredAndEmotional:

Tell me I’m wrong!

You are wrong.

Anyone coming to work for us does so with a very clear understanding of what the job entails, we run through the good and bad points, happy to show previous weeks timesheets. People that do the wages are like drivers, they can make mistakes; fortunately both rarely do,(though when the accounts guy goes on holiday and I do the wages…some people get more , some people get less cos I’m rubbish at the PAYE system. :blush:

Money is as it says at the interview, overtime after 8 hours, double sundays and BH is + a day in lieu. Bonus at Xmas. Sick Pay is standard, but it is for me, so at least I believe in equality :wink: Small company, you can have pretty much any time you want off, though if two people have booked the same time, you’ve had it.

Again, very much the exception to the rule these days. Well done sir! Care to elaborate on the red bit?

AndrewG:
Can understand a higher rate of pay after a fixed number of hours but have never got my head around saturday and sunday overtime rates :confused: Seven days in a week and each one just being named differently, one being no different to another, why is sat and sun an exception??
Three years ago i picked up a good bit of work for an extra truck and rented a unit and trailer for three months, paid the driver 14eur ph up to 8hrs and 21eur thereafter per day but that was across the board sat and sun inc…

Weekends were for family time hence the compensation for those deemed vital to the economy.

F-reds:
Your username is clearly very well earned.

If you’ve been lied to about your T&C’s that’s terrible and grounds for leaving any job in my view. The rest of it?? I’m not really fussed as I wasn’t around then so I don’t know any better… But I do hear that in the past women weren’t allowed to do anything but cook, clean, and [zb]. I don’t see anyone jumping around saying their home is terrible now as a result… Flippant I know, but you see my point, things change, for the good of others sometimes, for the good of yourselves other times. Its just the way the world works at the minute that’s all.

Money doesn’t really have the same value to me, because even if it was double time Sunday and triple time on a bank on holiday, my time off is worth much much more than that to me, you aren’t around on this planet for long. Personally I would much rather have good rates for the days that I’m at work for, not stellar rates for the days when I should be at home ■■■■■■■■ the missus if I’m lucky or being down the pub with some mates if I’m not.

While I do sympathise with you older chaps who have seen their T&C’s change dramatically, they aren’t, and they never have been for me.

Amen to that but there’s so many crap shift systems around these days it can be hard to avoid. I saw that coming 25 years ago with the introduction of Sunday shopping. For the record I’m Mon-Fri plus Saturday if needed in a small firm. Will avoid if possible!

TiredAndEmotional:
Again, very much the exception to the rule these days. Well done sir! Care to elaborate on the red bit?

Tad under £12.00 an hour + daily meal allowance, which brings it to around 12.30 on the basic. I think that puts us pretty much as an average for the area.

There’s negatives which are primarily the double manning and Euro, which puts off about 75% of drivers. Some weeks are heavy on hours, others are barely surpassing 40. Drivers stay though, so they must be happy.

And I’m a Madam :wink: , in fact I’m a right little madam :laughing:

albion:

Am I the only one that sees this and thinks; “Yep! I could work for that lady” :laughing: :wink:

:blush:

F-reds:

albion:

Am I the only one that sees this and thinks; “Yep! I could work for that lady” :laughing: :wink:

:blush:

you like a woman that cracks the whip then, F-reds. :open_mouth: :laughing:

We are straying into Dipper territory here :open_mouth:

You’re wrong.