I-shift

Hello there, can anybody give me any information (pro’s-con’s) on the volvo I-shift gearbox. I currently have 4 over 4 splitter,so dont even where to begin. Is the I-shift fully automatic or semi■■? Its on a FH 12 420 if that makes any difference. Please help. Cheers.

the i-shift is good easy and straight forward theres no clutch pedal you can use it in auto or flick it into manual and take control of the gear changes yourself this is done by a switch on the side of the leaver easy + for up - for down comes in handy when the road is up down and you want to hold onto a gear may sound daft but it cant see the road ahead and may change up a gear when in auto right on the bottom of a hill the one i drive is two and a bit years old had it from new gets some abuse a mix of work including site work and theres been no problems with it and same goes for the rest of the fleet hope its of some help

:smiley: OK, as easy as that then. Thanks allot Lee mat.

They are faultless but you will get many who haven’t driven them will say they are a bag of crap. They are actually a manual gearbox with an electronic clutch linked to a computer.

Do a search on the forums as this has been argued many times by the same people :stuck_out_tongue:

all depends what reg your are going for pre 2005 have a slight difficulty when on roundabouts when selecting gears they have a slight pause before selecting gears to drive.

Its a 54 plate Curly, does nt sound like a major hassle, does this still occur when using manual box■■? :neutral_face:

i drive a 07 with i-shift & to be honest i never liked auto’s till i drove the volvo,ive driven dafs & scanias with auto & they are a load of crap.if i could choose a combination in a ftuck it would be a 580 scania engine coupled to a volve i-shift gearbox & a daf cab of even a mega space merc that would be the ultimate truck.

The i-shift is basically the manual box with a different (automated)top on it. However i know at least 5 people who have had very expensive trouble with theirs. Something fails in the top if the box and the only way of sorting it is to replace the top. These faults were all with 03/04 models both FM’s And FH’s. You have no change out of £3000 when the jobs done. There’s no symptoms until the box knocks itself out of gear and refuses to select gears in either auto or manual mode.