Auto, Yes / No?

My one and only experience of driving an auto truck was a few years ago on a night trunk to Manchester in an new 18t Atego, having had a 10 + year old ERF with a crash box the previous day I’d worked the auto was the best thing ever. However I realise that it’s hardly a fair trial!

Upshot is I’m asking opinions please, I was asked yesterday what sort of gearbox I’d prefer.

Previously had a 9sp Volvo which was just fine followed by a 14sp Scania which I really liked, not too keen on the Scania 9 now having used the 3 over 3.

My gut feeling is to stick with what I know and ask for a 14sp manual, but I don’t want to be a luddite and rule out an auto.

My work is shifting plant around and approx 300km / day mixed roads from motorway to narrow lanes to central London. Mostly tarmac but most journeys involve some element of site driving. I need something robust and unlikely to get stuck as I often collect or deliver to sites where there’s nothing to pull it out if it gets stuck.

The Scania Opticruise sounds reasonable as it has a clutch pedal (IIRC) whereas the iShift does not, I’m trying to push the Volvo but it may be a Scania.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

The i-shift is the best gearbox I’ve ever come across, as controllable as a manual, yet as lazy as an auto.

The Scania opticruise (the 1 with the clutch, not the ■■■■ 1 without a clutch) would be my 2nd choice, it’s really good, but Scania trucks are uncomfortable tortuous bags of ■■■■■■

After that I’d go for an erf / man easyshift manual

waynedl:
The i-shift is the best gearbox I’ve ever come across, as controllable as a manual, yet as lazy as an auto.

I agree with the above! (And I alternate between the Scania and the Volvo every week.)

Well I have a very comfortable and very good clutch less auto Scania. It performed absolutely faultlessly in a lot of bad snow over the winter.

I would vote the iShift as the best box I have used in the last 10 years

Not driven a Scania auto since 1984/5 and the other auto was an Iveco

personally i haven’t driven an auto box which i like, i much prefer manuals any day of the week. perhaps its because i have never been trained in how to use them correctly maybe, but i cant really see the point in having a manual setting on an auto, just have a manual box?..

I use the manual setting on my DAF to stop it revving into the blue all the time and to stop it changing gear just as I want to power off a roundabout. But if you have a traffic jam an auto does save your left leg!

I-shift every time :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

or…tin hat on ready…

a (nicely set-up) Eaton TwinSpiltter !!

For me, all other gearboxes fall into the category of unremarkable.

GCR2ERF:
I-shift every time :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

or…tin hat on ready…

a (nicely set-up) Eaton TwinSpiltter !!

For me, all other gearboxes fall into the category of unremarkable.

I’d go with that, had one years ago and loved it. :slight_smile:

I keep hearing about eaton twin splitters but ive never come across one. What’s so special/crap about them.

Mr B:
I keep hearing about eaton twin splitters but ive never come across one. What’s so special/crap about them.

I’ve driven one a couple of times and can confirm they are over rated heaps of scrap. The fact they were popular in ERF’s says it all really.

switchlogic:

Mr B:

I’ve driven one a couple of times and can confirm they are over rated heaps of scrap. The fact they were popular in ERF’s says it all really.

i drove one for 6 months and found them brilliant…after the first day of figuring out how to use it

as for autoboxes well I-shift is king no matter what anyone says, newish dafs arnt bad but its what im used to. scania autos are just as bad as old daf autos

I drive an auto Actros, yes the auto boxes are better than they used to be but give me a manual any day of the week, you can keep the revs down, pick the correct gear and much easier to reverse in my opinion. I think the best manual box i drove was the Scania 3 over 3 with a splitter, would be more than happy with that now.

If I had the choice it would be a manual or I-shift. Other slush boxes have improved over the years but only the I-shift gives absolute control like a manual.
And if twin-splitters were still an option I’d have one!

ive got an fmx with i shift and i’m not keen at all on the i shift - its not as good off road as volvo like to make out.cant wait for winter…
i’d have a thirteen speed fuller any day!

Twin splitter in an ERF everytime, better than any auto, the only people who think they are crap are those who don’t understand them. Full control all the time without using a clutch.

I sometimes drive an Actros with an auto box in and it isnt too bad. Fine for going forward but i find it can be jerky when reversing. We also run a CF85 unit with an auto which isnt too bad again but it does seem to rev really high between gear changes.
My everyday drive is a CF65 rigid with a 6 speed manual box which doesnt sound amazing but its great for manovering and control. Sometimes could do with a splitter when heavy but i think its fine.

8 Wheels, I do similar work to you…have a manual trust me!

And yes I’d have a twin splitter anyday aswell :smiley: as long as its an N14 ■■■■■■■ in front of it :sunglasses:

iangam:
Twin splitter in an ERF everytime, better than any auto.

Settled, I’ll get the boss to order a new ERF with an Eaton box

plant fitter:
8 Wheels, I do similar work to you…have a manual trust me!

And yes I’d have a twin splitter anyday aswell :smiley: as long as its an N14 ■■■■■■■ in front of it :sunglasses:

Well that’s my gut instinct, but it’s easy to get seduced by other drivers tales and the thought of making the job easier by removing half of the work :laughing:

Driving a pair of well worn 10 year Scania’s in heavy traffic then floating home in my automatic car it makes you wonder, however I had a virtually new wagon a while ago and the box never troubled me in the heaviest of traffic.