I received troubling news on Friday

Roymondo:

B1 GGK:
We run Leylands finest at our a place, they are a real joy :laughing:

Auto boxes are typical auto, wrong gear and change when you dont want em too,

You can of course control the gearchanges manually if you want to, and can switch from manual to fully automatic whenever and wherever you like. The biggest problems I find with that sort of transmission are when trying to filter onto a busy roundabout - When you see your gap and push the GO pedal, the autobox does a double take and you can almost feel it working out which gear to use and when to let the clutch out. By the time it’s got its act together, the gap has gone and you’ve not moved. Very frustrating.

But as you say there is a manual option, if you’re approaching a roundabout put it in manual & get the gear you want, remember you can see the gap in the traffic, the gearbox can’t!

As my name suggests I’m quite fond of things that bear the three pointed star, but in this case I’d take the Daf, as Ellies Dad says 10hp won’t make any difference & the CF Daf is a nice little motor, I haven’t driven one for a number of years so I can’t comment on reliability issues, but in my opinion the Cf is nearly as good as an FM.

PS keep the name, i thought about changing mine when I started driving a Peterbilt, but newpeteman dont have the same ring to it :wink:

we run majority Dafs, keep the merc!! most days you get a dash warning about something that you end up being told to ignore, oil level warning, full?
coolant, full?
brakes, no problem…
the newer ones 09 plate are pretty plasticy if you now what I mean, indicator stalks ect feel like you have to treat them gently incase they snap off…

Our fleet are all 09 410HP, DAF CF’s, Day Cabs. Because they are the fleet model, there is no option to change into manual. You just have to change your driving to cope and you’ll soon stop pounding the steering wheel when it changes up just as you need plenty power. Took me about 3 months. They pull ok, we’re usually between 30-44 tonnes and they do ok. We used to have 56 plate DAF Superspace 430HP manuals. Great motors. I’d take a manual any day but the auto’s are awfully good in long traffic jams! :smiley:

Roymondo:

B1 GGK:
We run Leylands finest at our a place, they are a real joy :laughing:

Auto boxes are typical auto, wrong gear and change when you dont want em too,

You can of course control the gearchanges manually if you want to, and can switch from manual to fully automatic whenever and wherever you like. The biggest problems I find with that sort of transmission are when trying to filter onto a busy roundabout - When you see your gap and push the GO pedal, the autobox does a double take and you can almost feel it working out which gear to use and when to let the clutch out. By the time it’s got its act together, the gap has gone and you’ve not moved. Very frustrating.

Yeh, that manual option is a bag of toss too, It wont let you set off up a hill in 2nd, it would rather bounce the cab and burn the clutch in 3rd than listen to the driver in manual mode, manual my arse :laughing:

Sorry chaps different opinion just been driving daf410 auto for last 7mths it was ok although never carried a lot of weight drove it in auto 99% of the time.
Off agency now back on a actross unfortunatly its got a clutch :frowning: