The New DAF's??

Rumour mill at our place has it, that we’re possibly getting new Daf’s around October time…

Just a quick easy question… What they like compared to the ‘horror story’ old ones…■■?

Driving a MAN at the moment, so wondering what are they like compared to each other…?

they are not great but will be much better than the MAN with there rubber steering box

if your tramping you be wanting an xf
cf is good enough for day drivers

Anyone driven the new facelift 106 yet? I’m curious if they’ve addressed any of the often mentioned issues with the first version 106’s.

Assuming artics, depends what you want from the lorry and how much, gearbox especially, you drive it yourself.

It will be quieter, it will steer immeasurably better, the exhaust brake should be better.

It may well have that horrid vibration all daf cfs seem to have at tickover which makes me tired and gives me stonking headaches.
The gearbox assuming its arsetronic will default to eco constantly even if you stick in normal auto or manual and can be extremely frustrating to drive.
The auto braking warnings, active cruise and lane departure thingies are super sensitive and might get on yer ■■■■.
The switchgear is in true daf fashion all over the bloody shop bordering on the bleeding ridiculous, one poster here described it as confetti switch placement and i really can’t think of a better description.

If you are happy to stick it in D and just steer, then they’re fine, personally whenever i have to use one i’m bloody glad to get back in an MAN, which despite all its faults i still enjoy using because even if it has been hobbled with arsetronic you can still override the box and actually make some decent normal progress.

Course thats only my opinion, i like older fashioned motors but acknowledge i am in a minority here.

I used to really like my old 460 manual CF, which went like hell whilst superb on fuel and could be thrown about with gay abandon.

Juddian:
Assuming artics, depends what you want from the lorry and how much, gearbox especially, you drive it yourself.

It will be quieter, it will steer immeasurably better, the exhaust brake should be better.

It may well have that horrid vibration all daf cfs seem to have at tickover which makes me tired and gives me stonking headaches.
The gearbox assuming its arsetronic will default to eco constantly even if you stick in normal auto or manual and can be extremely frustrating to drive.
The auto braking warnings, active cruise and lane departure thingies are super sensitive and might get on yer ■■■■.
The switchgear is in true daf fashion all over the bloody shop bordering on the bleeding ridiculous, one poster here described it as confetti switch placement and i really can’t think of a better description.

If you are happy to stick it in D and just steer, then they’re fine, personally whenever i have to use one i’m bloody glad to get back in an MAN, which despite all its faults i still enjoy using because even if it has been hobbled with arsetronic you can still override the box and actually make some decent normal progress.

Course thats only my opinion, i like older fashioned motors but acknowledge i am in a minority here.

I used to really like my old 460 manual CF, which went like hell whilst superb on fuel and could be thrown about with gay abandon.

Could not agree more with you opinion on the MAN , as for the DAF I also agree . I will never forget only 4/5 years back a 460 manual CF being taken on hire during a busy period at work where all sorts of over priced and fancy units were being operated , it was a fight to get your shift in the DAF even from the steering wheel attendants most of who secretly admitted enjoyed driving it .

They should be 106’s as we all tramp…

facebook.com/pollockscotran … =3&theater

Best photo I could find of current Daf’s in our fleet…

drove a new demo 530 last Wednesday. all i can say is that they are better than the previous 106’s the gear box is far smoother but not as smooth as the ishift as i was told by the sales man!!! they have grouped the switches together IE all the lights are in one area all heater in another and put all the cruise and adaptive switches on the steering wheel.
i was impressed but how they have improved the fuel which as o/d is the most important thing.
overall still not as good as a Volvo but then there not the price either. 8k difference.

Juddian:

I drive a 66 plate 106 xf,not had any problems with mine,a very nice wagon,the auto brake as you know can be disabled as can the lane departure.

juddian,i screwed up in my reply,it’s in between your post at the bottom,can’t delete,have tried

truckman020:
juddian,i screwed up in my reply,it’s in between your post at the bottom,can’t delete,have tried

No probs mate, make enough pigs ears of quotes meself :blush: , i usually delete the lot and start again.

The ones i have to suffer once a blue moon are 65 plate CF’s, haven’t driven a big cab Daf for donkeys years.

Astronic has been dropped in the new versions in favour of the newer Traxon box, a manual is still availble in 16 speed as they have now dropped the 8 speed manual offering

I was quite impressed with the new euro 6 dafs… Gearbox doesn’t seem as jerky & they are quite comfortable to drive… steering still on the heavy side for me.

My DAF is knocking on 2 years old now so anything I say won’t be too relevant to the latest ones. The 105 and 106 SSCs are good. Not too fancy inside but lots of space, good seats. Good bed, long and wine enough for most, but I’m not a fan of the mattresses that are fitted now. Electrics and switches average at best or damned annoying.
Apparently the new auto gearbox is better. . . .well it couldn’t have been much worse could it? I’ll say no more on that. The 460 is a good engine. Burns less fuel than before and pulls better than the older 480s. Runs a lot cooler on hills too so should have an easier and longer life. The damping and suspension on mine is way too soft. On country roads it wallows around and tries to steer itself. Hope that’s better on the newer ones. Engine brake average on mine.
Hopefully DAF have changed things for the better in their latest.
My ten year old DAF was a nicer (but less economic) drive then my current one.
Hopefully your’s will be better than both of them.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

chaversdad:
Astronic has been dropped in the new versions in favour of the newer Traxon box, a manual is still availble in 16 speed as they have now dropped the 8 speed manual offering

Dropped the 8-speed? That’s the standard box for rigids above 18 tonnes; is that gone? I’d have thought the 12-speed would be the one they drop.

Had my 106 ssc for a year now.Previousely had the Merc mp4 for 4yrs…Think the daf is alot smoother ride than the Merc.Pulls better too.Gearbox has bern fine on mine so far.Although if yours comes with all the gizmos.Ie lane departure,Pcc,And the automatic braking system.Will take some getting used too.And will catch you out on occasions.Normally when there is nothing in front of you but a shadow.Can all be switched off.But i’d advise against it.With all these rear shunt accidents that seem to be happening alot just lately…I will say ours are basic spec.So we have the basic exhaust brake.Wich is’nt upto much to be fair.All in all though.A nice truck to spend the week in.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It’ll be interesting what we get…

As 90% of the time we only shift packets of crisps… A whole artic load weighs in at a whopping 6tons!! :blush:

And I bet most of that weight is made up with the pallets…

As a serial uniform collector, I have been in the position of driving all the main protagonists.

Putting the Volvo FH4 and next gen Scania aside (both cracking wagons but expensive), I would take a DAF XF over ANY of the others (inclusive of the previous Scania).

Superb mattress, very comfortable to drive and the engines pull nicely. MAN’s have the worst blind spot ever invented with the n/s wardrobe mirror and A pillar hiding a complete galaxy and solar system, never mind another vehicle :unamused:

Previous Scania ruins your back and if you are tall it will ruin your knees too. Stralis is simply ■■■. Mercs are like pogo sticks that change gear only when they can be arsed. Currently driving a Renault T range which in all honesty is a pretty good wagon, Volvo gearbox, good visibility, comfy seats but let down by a bland interior and woeful mattress.

Been driving a 17 daf xf euro 6 for the last two days. As a previous reply the lane departure is super sensitive and the AEBS is too. Both can be turned off. The braking system can be over ridden with a bit of pressure on the the accelerater and it let’s you close the gap before you move out. I always drive with the auto on, (get a fuel bonus). Seems to take forever and a day to get to 56 empty or not. Prefer the 15/65 plate daf xf euro 6 if I’m honest.

eagerbeaver:
As a serial uniform collector, I have been in the position of driving all the main protagonists.

Putting the Volvo FH4 and next gen Scania aside (both cracking wagons but expensive), I would take a DAF XF over ANY of the others (inclusive of the previous Scania).

Superb mattress, very comfortable to drive and the engines pull nicely. MAN’s have the worst blind spot ever invented with the n/s wardrobe mirror and A pillar hiding a complete galaxy and solar system, never mind another vehicle :unamused:

Previous Scania ruins your back and if you are tall it will ruin your knees too. Stralis is simply ■■■. Mercs are like pogo sticks that change gear only when they can be arsed. Currently driving a Renault T range which in all honesty is a pretty good wagon, Volvo gearbox, good visibility, comfy seats but let down by a bland interior and woeful mattress.

lol, so that’s your job I thought you were some sort of coffee shop mystery customer.

Own Account Driver:

eagerbeaver:

lol, so that’s your job I thought you were some sort of coffee shop mystery customer.

I am a sort of ’ coffee testing industry insider ’ OAD. I am trying to work my way through all the hauliers to see if it’s possible to find a well paying job with the best kit, low hours, treated well and… sorry mate, got to go.

I’ve just seen Elvis walk past…