I hate low lifes

Had a phone call from the wife, to say she had reversed in to a car, and hardly touched it. there was a little dent in the car, and nothing on mine also she said it wasnt where she hit, now she had to phone the police 3 times to get someone to come out, as the women was being very suspicious and writing wrong details down.
Now the police arrive find out that the car is not insured for that driver, but because she wasnt in the car the wife is still left to blame.

The police will be taking the car off her and what ever else comes with not being insured, but how can they still make us pay even though it wasnt insured for her and she drove it in to that postion, and also its all on cctv, now im left with an excess of 600quid for a piece of plastic on there car which will cost hardly anything :frowning:

Im not very happy with this out come and some advise from someone who may have been in a simular occasion. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Also to note, that the car in question is a disibility car, im not sure if this has anything else to do with it…

GRRRRRRRR im so mad right now.

Thanks chaps

So your wife drives a car for which she is not insured and reversed into another car?

Can’t see your gripe. I think she can count herself lucky that she didn’t get any penalty points on her license.

Is he not saying the other driver wasn’t insured? If so, what does it matter as it was your wife that hit there car? Maybe take time to re-write what you said.

That’s how I read it first, but on re-reading it I think it meant that the woman driving the other car was not insured.

sorry if i made u miss read, but not happy and shaky with fury, but it was the other lady who was not insured,my wife was legal.

Even though it is your wife to blame, you can dispute what has been damaged, and you DON’T have to go through your insurance, however if you pay for the damage out of your own pocket you still have to tell your insurance company that you have been involved in an accident.
It would still work out cheaper than the £600 excess and the loss of no claims. If the police take the car away they will most likely send it to the crushers so you won’t have to do anything at all then

Yes - not sure but don’t the police impound and didn’t they recently get powers to crush uninsured vehicles? Either way would make it difficult or impossible to repair it. If you have legal helpline on your insurance, might be worth asking them before paying out.

Thanks for the comments so far,
well i hope it goes to the crusher as i can in no way afford 600quid, just guess we’ll have to wait for a letter now from my insurance company to let them no what happened, what a horrible thing, the police man spoke to me on the phone and even said its the ones who pay and abide by the law who get bit in the ■■■,

MartinC:
Yes - not sure but don’t the police impound and didn’t they recently get powers to crush uninsured vehicles?

The owner is given the chance to get insurance once it’s been seized though.

mrpj:

MartinC:
Yes - not sure but don’t the police impound and didn’t they recently get powers to crush uninsured vehicles?

If thats the case then why am i wasting money, when i can get the car insured when its been taken off me■■? its a joke honestly

Ah…thanks. I wasn’t sure. Crushing seems harsh but I thought it was ‘punishment’ because the number of uninsured on the road was getting so high.

Cheers…M

Trucker beads:

mrpj:

MartinC:

If thats the case then why am i wasting money, when i can get the car insured when its been taken off me■■? its a joke honestly

Don’t forget it’s six penalty points for no insurance which is half your licence.

I am wondering if a clever lawyer could say that your wife is not responsible as the other car was illegally there in the first place.

ROG:
I am wondering if a clever lawyer could say that your wife is not responsible as the other car was illegally there in the first place.

yeah, me too. must be worth getting down to CAB pretty sharpish.

ROG:

===

if as you say its a motability car she shouldnt be driving it with no insurance motability are very strict on this they will get the car back but are likely to take it off the person who its meant to be for if you contact motability uk they will not be very pleased but it will not go to the crusher as it will be regersterd to motability so i would just forget about it till you hear of them witch is very unlikely

Thanks again for all your advice,all is taken on board, and hope to get this resolved, but i thought that, as my wife said the guy whos car it was turned up in another car while police were there, so ill fight this to the death i think.

how much damage are we talking about here?

Well your wife damaged somebody’s property with her car, so you cant gripe about having to pay for it.

Having said that of course you cant stand & pay for damage you didnt do. In this case you will have to see if your insurance co. dispute the claim or not, & then stand back why they fight it out.

As for the impounding. You usually get two weeks to prove you have insrance before the car gets cuded. But if you do repossess your car in that time you are still hit with some fairly hefty storage fee from plod & their associates.

jimti:
how much damage are we talking about here?

Nothing to my car. and on the car hit? well there is plastic broken by the fuel cap or something, but my wife said she wasnt near that and it was a case of mearly nudging the car at 0.5mph if that.

Secretelephant:
Well your wife damaged somebody’s property with her car, so you cant gripe about having to pay for it.

Having said that of course you cant stand & pay for damage you didnt do. In this case you will have to see if your insurance co. dispute the claim or not, & then stand back why they fight it out.

As for the impounding. You usually get two weeks to prove you have insrance before the car gets cuded. But if you do repossess your car in that time you are still hit with some fairly hefty storage fee from plod & their associates.

Most definetly if i new i hit the car i would make sure i pay for any damage caused, this is why my wife went and found the person and not just drive off, now i would really like to see the cctv footage as its right above where it happend apparantly.

The officer said to me on the phone that they were taking the car off them there and then, but from there who knows, proberly give it back to them tomorrow with a slap on the wrist.