I got a dog today

Do you like him?.

Hes an American Bulldog, I only got him today and it looks like he might be chewing eveything we have in the house !!!.

jammymutt:
Do you like him?.

usera.imagecave.com/jammymutt/DSCF0073.JPG

Hes an American Bulldog, I only got him today and it looks like he might be chewing eveything we have in the house !!!.

Including you by the look of him :unamused:
I expect he’s a big softie really, just like his Dad :wink: .

get a proppa dawg man. :laughing:

mines 4th from left.

It was close to being a Rotty but this guy smiled at me and used the big blue eye and i just melted, Not bad froma rescue kennel!!.

They say he wont get much taller just a bit wider and his skull will crack twice to compensate,

Isnt this guy a babe.

The biggest problem is walking through town with him we i am usually inundated by women cooing at him.:wink:;);):wink:

he is a belter tbh.

ohterry:
he is a belter tbh.

The above pics arent of mine heres a few links to mine.

usera.imagecave.com/jammymutt/DSCF0070.JPG

usera.imagecave.com/jammymutt/DSCF0071.JPG

usera.imagecave.com/jammymutt/DSCF0072.JPG

usera.imagecave.com/jammymutt/DSCF0073.JPG

It looks like hes got to go back the kids are ■■■■ scared of him jumping on them and its going to be hard work to control him as they are a very dominant breed.

Its a ■■■■ shame i hope someone adopts him soon.

If any of you are interested i can let you know where he is.

jammymutt:
It looks like hes got to go back the kids are [zb] scared of him jumping on them and its going to be hard work to control him as they are a very dominant breed.

You should have thought about that before you got him :unamused: . How do you think the dog feels, thinking he’s got a new home and loving owners only to find his routine uprooted once again to find himself back in a cage?

It’s not a [zb] toy Alex, it’s a living animal that has feelings just like the rest of us. I don’t think you should be allowed any pets at all if this is an example of how you treat them.

Rob K:

jammymutt:
It looks like hes got to go back the kids are [zb] scared of him jumping on them and its going to be hard work to control him as they are a very dominant breed.

You should have thought about that before you got him :unamused: . How do you think the dog feels, thinking he’s got a new home and loving owners only to find his routine uprooted once again to find himself back in a cage?

It’s not a [zb] toy Alex, it’s a living animal that has feelings just like the rest of us. I don’t think you should be allowed any pets at all if this is an example of how you treat them.

Ditto

brit_mark:

Rob K:

jammymutt:

Ditto

Has he been castrated because if he has’nt you should have him done as this seems to quite them down.

But me personally would’nt have one of them dogs, not round kids anyway.

Rob K:

jammymutt:

Kennells these days do a fostering scheme so that families who wish to adopt an unwanted animal can take it home for a while and see how they get on, if they dont then the kennells are quite happy to take back an animal that perhaps doesnt fit in with a family.

If you keep the dog a couple of weeks you then go back and adopt him, they have no way of finding out what problems a dog might have unless they go to foster homes and if they can inform future adoptees of some of the problems they might encounter they have a far better chance of finding them a home.

Had i been told he would jump on my 4 year old daughter i would not have taken him home, however what i will be doing is going back to the kennells and fostering another dog until hopefully i can adopt one that will fit in well with us as a family pet, until then im sure any i do foster will be happy to be in a family home and get alittle bit of love for a week or two rather than get put down.

Robk ::Expert at nothing, master of Jack ■■■■

This is one of the reasons I thought your choice of family pet was not ideal. I chose not to say anything at the time as there were plenty of others expressing their ‘views’ but you didn’t seem to like that. :unamused:

I’m glad the dog has gone back; I am an animal lover but can see the sense in the German system that has banned the import or breeding of any dog (breed/type) that is, or has been in the past, associated with dog-fighting and the like. By the end of the current generation (less than 8 years to go now) there will be none of these type of dogs left there.

Read the full story hereand be glad that it won’t be happening in your house.

You say it was a choice between an American Pit-Bull Terrier or a Rottweiler.

Am I alone in detecting a pattern here?

I cant defend a breed i had never heard of before a few weeks ago BUT,
Marcus selects the picture so its ok if i just select a bit of the story too eh?,

What i will say is that the breed themselves have a very high reputation for protecting children and love playing with and protecting them, however it has been known for poodles to attack and maim people so please dont blame the breed whether its a Collie or a Doberman.

Its got a lot more to do with the owner and training the only reason this guy went back is because he jumped up layfully at my 4 year old the trouble is he was heavier than her and she just couldnt stay upright if he done that, and as a possible owner and not having the ability to work out EVERY eventuality with EVERY breed in the world I settled for that dog at the time because he looked friendly.

In May, the American bulldog, a two-year-old which belonged to a neighbour, bit George on the back as he played on the green outside his home in Huntingdon, Cambs. George escaped serious injury but the police referred the incident to the Crown Prosecution Service.

George’s parents, Danielle and Sam Brown, want to know why no action was taken.

"If the dog had been put down after the first attack, this never would have happened," Mrs Brown, 26, said. "If a dog bites a child, it should be put down immediately. It not only bit George 10 weeks ago but also attacked a little ■■■■■■■ her leg who needed stitches.

Just purely out of curiosity but are any of you dog owners?.

I have to say, I’m with Jammy on this one, and think that the fostering scheme is a great idea if it gets permenant homes for more dogs. Many people are put off adopting a rescue dog because they are unsure whether an adult dog - or one which is not 8 weeks old and ripe for training - will fit into their families. This way at least they get chance to try it and see, rather than just dismissing the idea. Has to be positive.

As for what was said above about it being as much about the owner as the breed of dog, that is 100% right - I have an aunt who’s been breeding rottweilers for years and has never had a problem with them around her kids.

Jammy did the right thing. He entered the scheme knowing that it may take time to get the right fit of family and dog, and he is persevering with it to get that fit right. Ultimately, a dog will be successfully homed, and the time taken to ensure the right match will hopefully make it a long and happy partnership.

Spoken as a dog owner of many years, who has been involved with rescue dogs herself in the past - and intends to be again in the future when my existing mutt pops his clogs. (He’s 12 now).

What would you all rather Jammy did, take the dog back under the conditions he agreed, or turf it out into the street and it becomes just another number and eventually gets put down. Or the worst case scenario is that it injures one of his children, which has to be a primary concern when keeping animals and gets put down and Jammy’s child has to live with what the dog did for the rest of his life.

Fair play to you Jammy, do what you feel is right for the safety of your children.

jammymutt:
I cant defend a breed i had never heard of before a few weeks ago BUT,
Marcus selects the picture so its ok if i just select a bit of the story too eh?,

I did include the link to the story (it wasn’t selective posting) but am wary of copying full articles as per the brief we get for the News Team i.e. copyright.

jammymutt:
it has been known for poodles to attack and maim people so please dont blame the breed whether its a Collie or a Doberman.

That is quite true indeed, although a Poodle isn’t a good example of a ‘soft and fluffy dog’ as the’re known to sometimes have a ‘difficult’ temperament. However, it is not possible to discount any breed of dog from attacking a person, another dog, etc but there are certain breeds of dog that naturally and statistically are more likely to do such a thing - all dogs that have been bred for fighting (albeit hundreds of years ago) are in this bracket.

I don’t believe that any child (in Germany the law is 16 years old) should be left alone or be responsible with/for a dog without ‘adult’ supervision. However well we think we know our canine companions, we simply can’t know them (and their frame of mind) 100% accurately, 100% of the time.

jammymutt:
Just purely out of curiosity but are any of you dog owners?.

My canine qualifications (Jammy, see PM), both training and behaviourist, put me in a better position than an ‘owner’, to speak on this subject.

BuzzardBoy:
What would you all rather Jammy did,

More research before choosing that particular breed.

Lucy:
I have to say, I’m with Jammy on this one, and think that the fostering scheme is a great idea if it gets permenant homes for more dogs. Many people are put off adopting a rescue dog because they are unsure whether an adult dog - or one which is not 8 weeks old and ripe for training - will fit into their families. This way at least they get chance to try it and see, rather than just dismissing the idea. Has to be positive.

As for what was said above about it being as much about the owner as the breed of dog, that is 100% right - I have an aunt who’s been breeding rottweilers for years and has never had a problem with them around her kids.

Jammy did the right thing. He entered the scheme knowing that it may take time to get the right fit of family and dog, and he is persevering with it to get that fit right. Ultimately, a dog will be successfully homed, and the time taken to ensure the right match will hopefully make it a long and happy partnership.

Spoken as a dog owner of many years, who has been involved with rescue dogs herself in the past - and intends to be again in the future when my existing mutt pops his clogs. (He’s 12 now).

I fonly we could do that with marriage, the world would be a safer place…

jammymutt:
I fonly we could do that with marriage, the world would be a safer place…

No you’re talking. I like that idea. :wink: :smiley: