I feel a bit more Scottish now

Because is there any job that is more British than delivering Irn Bru on Seddon Atkinson?

Also I got operator’s status on #scotland irc channel,
01:34 <@Wull> It’s in recognition of your skills, orys.
01:35 <@Wull> Negotiating the roads of Eriskay in a lorry.

Hmm…

Two weeks ago I was in charge of the ultimate scottish lorry…

Now I am in charge of the scottish IRC channel…

There is an old American myth “from the shoo-polisher to the milionaire”. Is there some Scottish variation “from driving a lorry to power”?

Becouse if yes, in a couple of years I will be able to start claiming my second home expenses… :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Ah! Orys, but didya partake in the Burns Supper?

Fair fa’ your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o’ the puddin-race!
Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o’ a grace
As lang’s my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o’ need,
While thro’ your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dicht,
An’ cut you up wi’ ready slicht,
Trenching your gushing entrails bricht,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sicht,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an’ strive:
Deil tak the hindmaist! on they drive,
Till a’ their weel-swall’d kytes belyve,
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
“Bethankit” hums.

Is there that o’re his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi’ perfect scunner,
Looks down wi’ sneering, scornfu’ view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him ower his trash,
As feckless as a wither’d rash,
His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro’ bloody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his wallie nieve a blade,
He’ll mak it whistle;
An’ legs an’ arms, an’ heads will sned,
Like taps o’ thristle.

Ye Pow’rs wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o’ fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu’ prayer,
Gie her a haggis!

Tha mi duilich Chan eil mi a’ tuigsinn? :laughing: :laughing: i will translate later :laughing:
I’m sorry I don’t understand :laughing: :laughing: translated scottish gaelic

A bheil GÃ idhlig agaibh?

Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir? :stuck_out_tongue:

A bheil GÃ idhlig agaibh? do you speak gaelic

Tha, beagan." yes alittle

Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir? who was that sheep i saw you with last night
Cha b’e sin caora, 'se sin mo chèile a bha innte! that was no sheep, that was my spouse

Ceart gu leòr Tapadh leat.

right enough thankyou

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
translated for our non gaelic speaking friends :laughing: :laughing:

what did you say scotstrucker i did not hear you lol

mickyblue:
what did you say scotstrucker i did not hear you lol

as orys would say Nie przejmuj się Napij się kawy Przyjemnego dnia :smiley: :smiley: Mówię po angielsku only

Nie martw się wtedy, i będzie usiąść i dobrej kawie :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
Ah! Orys, but didya partake in the Burns Supper?

Shame to say, I bought haggis to try it at home first time, and I forgot that it was yesterday and prepared another meal :wink:

So as I am not fully scottish yet, I will have it tonight :smiley:

scotstrucker:
Tha mi duilich Chan eil mi a’ tuigsinn?

Wheel Nut:
A bheil GÃ idhlig agaibh?

Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir? :stuck_out_tongue:

■■■■, google translate don’t support Scottish gaelic :slight_smile:

So I will stick to my Ciar-mar tha ou? :slight_smile: (I have no idea how to spell it :smiley:)

mickyblue:
Nie martw się wtedy, i będzie usiąść i dobrej kawie :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :laughing:

What you said, actually means “Don’t worry ~on that day, and [it] will to seat and good coffe” :slight_smile:

orys:

mickyblue:

What you said, actually means “Don’t worry ~on that day, and [it] will to seat and good coffe” :slight_smile:

google translate aint all that good then lol

did you get a wild haggis or one from the butcher

heres a pic of a wild haggi :laughing: :laughing:

orys:

mickyblue:

:open_mouth: It’s the old story of ‘google translate,’ cos it doesn’t actually translate. :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing:

IMHO, google translate is really crap at dealing with German, but I know that the Polish grammar and language is fiendishly more complicated than German, so ‘the googlers’ have even less of a chance when they try to deal with Polish. :laughing: :grimacing:

:bulb: A little test for the ‘google’ brigade:
Try writing something in English, then translating it into Polish…
Highlight and ‘copy’ the ‘translation,’ then close google.

Reopen google, then paste the alleged Polish into the box, then translate it into English.

You can then decide for yourself by using my reverse translation idea and seeing how accurate it is. :wink:

If google translate was of any real use, why do you think that the police use orys as an interpreter :question:

dieseldave:
:bulb: A little test for the ‘google’ brigade:
Try writing something in English, then translating it into Polish…
Highlight and ‘copy’ the ‘translation,’ then close google.

Reopen google, then paste the alleged Polish into the box, then translate it into English.

They testing it very hardly in many warehouses :smiley:

If google translate was of any real use, why do you think that the police use orys as an interpreter :question:

I am affraid though that this won’t be a job for a lifetime…

orys:
They testing it very hardly in many warehouses :smiley:

That could have two meanings orys. :wink:

Taking it as I think you mean it, I still don’t believe there’s a good translation programme yet. :smiley:
Then please consider that ‘google translate’ is free, then remember the saying that ‘you get what you pay for.’ :wink:

orys:
I am affraid though that this won’t be a job for a lifetime…

I think there’ll always be a need for good ‘human’ translators, but it might be difficult to gain a good income from translating.

Have you thought of taking the Institute of Linguists (IOL) qualification?

I completed one full year towards full IOL member status at uni, but that was in German and it was very difficult. :open_mouth:
:stuck_out_tongue: Let’s have no talk about age, because I was 42 when I did that. :wink:

:bulb: You should be able to do the same thing with Polish, but in this country with IOL. :wink:
You’d have a nice certificate that says that you can speak Polish. :wink:
The serious point is that, once you’re qualified, the IOL can be used as a source of translation work. :smiley:

dieseldave:

I do think about gaining DPSI qualifications, but not this year, as this year I have plenty of work with my French and when we remember, that I still do Czech at the same time, I would mix tous des języki together a this ne bylo pas by tres bien :slight_smile:

Guten Abend dieseldave Wie geht’s?

orys:

dieseldave:

I do think about gaining DPSI qualifications, but not this year, as this year I have plenty of work with my French and when we remember, that I still do Czech at the same time, I would mix tous des języki together a this ne bylo pas by tres bien :slight_smile:

Pardon me for being nosey but what was your line of work back home Orys?

44 Tonne Ton:

orys:

dieseldave:

Pardon me for being nosey but what was your line of work back home Orys?

Good question :wink:

I am man of 100s jobs :wink:

I have finished the Railway College and I do posses a diploma saying “Technican of building and exploitation of railroads and railbridges”. Never worked on the railway.

Then I became an astronomy student, but it was really hard and becouse I had some financial issues, I had to give up as I wasn’t able to work AND study astronomy at the same time. I switched to Physics as it was easier (it really is, if you “downgrading” from astronomy! :slight_smile: ) and compled three years course to be a physics teacher in secondary schools. I never defended my dissertation as they changed rules when I was in the middle of it, so I just told them to ■■■■ off and went over to Scotland (especially that at this days you could have monthly teachers salary from two days of lorry driving here (in plain numbers) or in four (if you compare your buying power).

During my studies I used to work for Scouting, then I moved to be a Youth camp carer, but it was going on for summer only, so during the year I was driving a small van (like Ford Courier, Fiat Uno Van or Polonez Truck) for my friend’s business, at the same time I was involved with student press. Later I was asked to write one article to the leading IT magazine and they liked it, so they offered me an ongoing cooperation. I was quite happy with that job, but then we joined EU and Bloody Western Europeans bought our title and they replaced honest working local journalists with some cheap translations from German

Here, here! I just noticed that it could be an good argument to our ongoing discussion pros and cons of open european market :slight_smile: Why I never thought about that before - that plainly shows that not only British workers suffer from it!

So that was another factor (of many) which made me to come here.

By the way: I was always dreaming about studying languages, but in Poland you have to be proficient already to get entry onto the university. This, together with poor quality of school language teaching at schools meaned that only rich people, who can afford private tutors or some courses could make it. Therefore I decided to pursuit my other dream - that’s why I choosed astronomy. And that’s why I was so keen to start my studies in Glasgow when I found that you can start it from scratch here in UK… (although I already learned some French before, and my English is also only my own work and everyday use - I was maybe at three English lessons in my life!