humber bridge

After tipping in Louth yesterday afternoon my re load was off the docks in Hull which wasn’t a problem the only problem i had was the cost of the bridge i find it totally shocking that it cost £18.30 each way in an HGV :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: … loaded this morning in the docks and had to tip Lincoln so yet again another £18.30 :imp: :imp: … don’t get me wrong i’m very lucky as my the people i sub contract to pay me it back on top of the rate for the job so i got my £36.60 back :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

on both crossings of the bridge i noticed so little HGV’s was using it must be because of the cost surely if they lowered the price by a big amount then more vehicles would use it meaning they would still be collecting same amount of money in tolls during the day they talk about having a cleaner better air then they could do drop the cost down meaning people will be going over the bridge to places like lincoln and Scunthorpe instead of doing the extra miles round on the A63 M62 M18 then the M180

You would have thought so. But it seems all commonsense went out the window when this poxy government came in,.

It has been the same argument since it opened about 1980. I lived about 12 miles from the bridge and worked about 10 miles from it, unless we were running out of Hull we went round the long way to Immingham or Grimsby.

When I was working in Germany I had a 6 axle outfit with 3 lift axles. They hated me, :wink: and we used to get 2 types of discount tickets for running over the bridge empty.

Sad fact from someone who used to have reason to know these things: It’s marginally cheaper to go over the bridge than go 'round based on 8mpg and 70ppl. :blush: :blush: :blush:

We have the discounted Bride crossing tickets although recently the Bridge staff haven’t been able to deal with me properly. I drive a 12 tonner and in the last few crossings they’ve flashed the 7.5 tonner price up on the display and then taken a closer look at me once I draw level with them and hand them my yellow ticket and they umm and arrr and ask me what weight I am. I tell them it’s nothing to do with them and that I eat a healthy balanced diet.

They don’t like that. :grimacing:

and if the tolls were abolished, then that would mean another 38 drivers on the dole as our co would shut our depot and move the work to scunthorpe depot

Driver-Once-More:
and if the tolls were abolished, then that would mean another 38 drivers on the dole as our co would shut our depot and move the work to scunthorpe depot

dont worry about jobs, just look in the SUN ,loads of jobs domio pizzas,tesco etc :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,seriosly , most people dont expect it to be abolished, but 18 pounds is taking the zb, change it to a fiver, theyd probally get just as much revenue as 3/4 time as many trucks would use it

Lucy:
Sad fact from someone who used to have reason to know these things: It’s marginally cheaper to go over the bridge than go 'round based on 8mpg and 70ppl. :blush: :blush: :blush:

so seeing as my g-cab does 10 m.p.g + : , id be cheaper to go round, so there is method in there madness of sending me the long way round :wink:

Driver-Once-More:

And another “What If”

If it wasn’t for the River Humber and the old ferry crossing from Minerva Pier, Wheelnut may not have been born as it was there that his mummy and daddy met each other.

No loss there then, :laughing:

The original plan was for the bridge to be linked to the A15 extending down to the M11 but government cuts prevented it. Nothing new then!