I still don't think this makes sense

Scunny to Beverley the long way round,I thought they’d reduced the price on the Humber bridge :question: ,surely it would be cheaper with a bridge ticket :question:

of course it does, its 18 miles!

Doubt there’s much in it, if you’re the West side of Scunny you’re only 5 minutes from the M18, 15 minutes longer journey?

Unless it’s a definate saving, then i’m for not paying tolls every time.

Humber bridge was £12 last time I went over it.

Try Hull to cleethorpes to beverly without a bridge ticket… and no I wasnt allowed to deviate off routeas itd screw up the times… although second drop was 35 minutes late due to the “planning” going the SHorter “ie bridge” route… filled a full 11 hour shift with that 3 drops tho :laughing: :laughing:

I was reading somewhere before that a company spends around 50K a year crossing it , might of been Eurovision or summit lol crazy

andrewv8:
Humber bridge was £12 last time I went over it.

£12 is a lot of money to go over a bridge to no were! people also dont like to pay tolls, the M6 toll is proof of that.
The bridge years ago was in unofficialy boycotted because of the high cost of the toll, we did a lot of scunny rod mill back to Hull and always avoided it.

18 miles difference and possibly extra 10 minutes compared with going by bridge or via m18 /m62 not worth the debate cost wise

Mathematically it actually makes sense to use the bridge, based on the following -

Avg. fuel consumption - 10 MPG
Avg driver wage - £9/hour
Avg diesel price - 139.9 p/litre
Distance/Time difference Scunthorpe to Beverley between long/short route - 17 miles/10 minutes

Difference in fuel consumption expressed as cost - £10.74 (to cover 17 mile difference)
Difference in driver salary - £1.50

Which works out as £12.24 to take the longer route, vs the £12.00 HGV toll via the bridge.

You could argue that I’ve used some pretty ‘worst case scenario’ figures above, but when you think about overall company time wastage, delivery slots, making backloads etc that haven’t been factored in, it does kinda make sense to use the bridge!

I’m sure it’s no coincidence that it works out so closely either…

edited to say - If you work out the cost of the extra 17 miles in a car that gets 40 mpg, it works out at about £2.61 fuel, vs the £1.50 toll fee. The guys who set the tolls aren’t stupid lol…