Hudsons Transport and steel trailers

Slowly crawling up the M5 late last night was a new (well 66 plate) black Scania tractor unit towing a steel coil trailer - nothing strange in that I hear you say!!

Only thing was it was a 6 wheel tractor (6x2/4) towing a new M+G (Alan Hingley) 4 axle coil trailer - and that is something Ive never seen before!!!

Is this the latest trend to carry more steel on trailers, or is it just as one-off?

Ed

With an extra axle that trailer will carry less steel not more.

TiredAndEmotional:
With an extra axle that trailer will carry less steel not more.

^
This
Lwb 4x2’s are the way, less weight, bigger tanks, less tyres to replace…

Is the OP about a STGO rig. Doesn’t even seem sure if the unit is a 6x2 or 6x4 ?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

At a guess he’d be a 6x4 unit, and he’d be running on stgo … There’s a need for this as he’d carry one (very) heavy roller in the well… we carry them but only 28 tonne ish obviously and I know there’s some heavier ones being replaced in Port Tablot… looks like a giant rolling pin, and they’re what the steel is run through in production…Think “old fashioned mangle” and you’re on the right lines :slight_smile:

Good afternoon all

Having seen the vehicle again today, I spoke to the driver. It’s a 6x2 twin steer tractor and it runs at max weight. It is being used to carry heavy rollers and coil steel to/from South Wales and the Midlands.

The 4th axle on the trailer can lift and steer because one of the main delivery point has very restricted access

Ed

I assume that he would be lugging that back to Dudley for it to be Oxy-Acetylene cut and sold. Hell of a job.