Whats Best???

Was hoping someone could give me some advice on the best path to take on wag and drag or tractor and trailer?? The company I move steel for have asked me to move moreweight on every trip offering me five days a week, I have been O D for 3 years now ( class 2 ) and they have won a large contract :open_mouth: :open_mouth: On a 26 tonner just now and was looking to get a drawbar fitted with trailer to save on cost, rather than buying unit and trailer :confused: Any advice at all would be great, :slight_smile: Cheers.

don’t just think of the chaper option to you now, you have to consider the later options too, such as, will they want an artic in the future, not a W+D? also, you have to consider the resale values, a tractor unit and trailer will be easier to sell on that a W+D will be.

it may be worthwhile having a chat with your work supplier to try and find out what the best combo would be for their particular requirements.

TRY a 4 axled trailer with a 2axled unit, full alu wheels
the axles for the trailer being the lightest but strongest
for the job,best trailer builders for this type ot trailer are
in Germany as many firms who carry steel are useing such a
trailer,they will be able to supply you with all your needs
and the correct information.

Schmitz

OR Krone

The above are just two firms but there are many more around that can
supply it is all a matter of what you wish to pay and how good you wish
the finished Trailer to be,

Thanks allot lads, went to see trans manager earlier he’s happy with WnD but would prefer arctic.
He wants me to supply two tri axle flats and a 6x2 unit, any suggestions on how this can be done CHEAPLY ■■? :laughing: :open_mouth: :unamused: I have been given a lease price on a 05 stralis £ 194 a week, Is that a decent deal ■■? :confused: Any replies much appreciated, Cheers.

sampopmat:
Thanks allot lads, went to see trans manager earlier he’s happy with WnD but would prefer arctic.
He wants me to supply two tri axle flats and a 6x2 unit, any suggestions on how this can be done CHEAPLY ■■? :laughing: :open_mouth: :unamused: I have been given a lease price on a 05 stralis £ 194 a week, Is that a decent deal ■■? :confused: Any replies much appreciated, Cheers.

I was gonna say, ask the customer.
An Artic, would be by far the cheapest long term solution, there’s loads of good 2nd hand motors about, and I bet you could get a new one for about £1000.00 a month, at the moment. If you do lease, be careful of hand back clauses, damage and mileage for example. Also, discuss this with your accountant, but I’m pretty sure you can get 100% tax allowance on you 1st 50,000 of investment, and interest rates are low.
I personally would buy a good 3 or 4 year old premium motor, ie Scania, Volvo DAf, as the the prices are so low at the moment.

brit pete:
TRY a 4 axled trailer with a 2axled unit, full alu wheels
the axles for the trailer being the lightest but strongest
for the job,best trailer builders for this type ot trailer are
in Germany as many firms who carry steel are useing such a
trailer,they will be able to supply you with all your needs
and the correct information.

Schmitz

OR Krone

The above are just two firms but there are many more around that can
supply it is all a matter of what you wish to pay and how good you wish
the finished Trailer to be,

The downfall of that plan is that in the UK you only get 40tonnes, to go over 40t we must have a three axle tractor regardless of how many axles the trailer has.

sampopmat:
He wants me to supply two tri axle flats and a 6x2 unit, any suggestions on how this can be done CHEAPLY â– â– ?

Depends how new a unit you want and how much risk you want to take.

Flat trailers can be rented from as little as £40-50 per week or you can buy them for as little as 2 grand if you don’t mind them being a bit on the old side.

As for the unit you can buy a reasonable unit for under £10k these days, or if you want something a little newer Volvo have an advert in CM at the moment with ex B&Q FH12s for £99/week although that doesn’t include R&M so you’re taking a risk on breakdowns.

Paul

Thanks for all the replies, has helped allot. :sunglasses: Gonna go down the artic road. got my eye on a Daf Cf-85, 480 spacecab on an 04 plate and a couple of trailers at 2 grand a peice, just sorting tho O licence and then I am away. :open_mouth: Thanks again.

sampopmat:
Thanks for all the replies, has helped allot. :sunglasses: Gonna go down the artic road. got my eye on a Daf Cf-85, 480 spacecab on an 04 plate and a couple of trailers at 2 grand a peice, just sorting tho O licence and then I am away. :open_mouth: Thanks again.

They’re a bloody good truck, just check the head gaskets are ok, and for any corosion in the holes on the top of the gearbox, as it is getting to the age, where this can be a problem.
Good luck

renaultman:

sampopmat:

They’re a bloody good truck, just check the head gaskets are ok, and for any corosion in the holes on the top of the gearbox, as it is getting to the age, where this can be a problem.
Good luck

how much is it to get the head done if it goes? is it worth getting it inspected proffesionally before buying? (or looking for one that has had it done recently?)

OK, will bear that in mind when I go to have a look. There is a few to choose from as they are ex fleet… I know some Daf s have the Zf gearbox which I use at the moment, hope these are the same. Thanks allot. :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing:

Giblsa:

renaultman:

sampopmat:

Good luck

how much is it to get the head done if it goes? is it worth getting it inspected proffesionally before buying? (or looking for one that has had it done recently?)

cost me about £1700 when mine went about 3 years ago - can remember coughing when told the price of new head bolts :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

something like £18 each for 30 bolts

Gearbox cost me £3k in 2007 too - standard ZF problem top became porous :imp: :imp:

sampopmat:

How much are you looking at spending on a unit?

i have a 2002/52 DAF 95XF SuperSpace Cab for sale with just about everything done that needs doing, inc. head gaskets, air dryer, clutch, turbo, intercooler cleaned out, gearbox reconditioned (common fault on DAFs is the synchro’s), starter motor, replacement heater motor, various new air valves.

PM me if you are interested, can send pics if required.

used to use an 85 on flat bed work all be it the older shape dont no if its the same with the newer shape but there was no storage as in outside lockers no where to put ratchets n straps it was a bit of a pain the only room was either the passenger foot well or a make shift tray on the catwalk mixing with the chains snappers n sheets

lee mat:
used to use an 85 on flat bed work all be it the older shape dont no if its the same with the newer shape but there was no storage as in outside lockers no where to put ratchets n straps it was a bit of a pain the only room was either the passenger foot well or a make shift tray on the catwalk mixing with the chains snappers n sheets

The new ones have a side locker on the Near Side, it’s not very big mind, I wouldn’t like to put chains in it.

the older ones had no lockers everything on the catwalk chuck the sheet on your shoulder n many an ear full of fifth wheel greese

lee mat:
the older ones had no lockers everything on the catwalk chuck the sheet on your shoulder n many an ear full of fifth wheel greese

I know, I’ve had a few of em. The CF is a completely different truck to the 1st 85s, sensible driving position, well laid out cab, and the space cab has loads of room, with decent lockers, and under bunk, storage space.

seen some bargains on an o3 plate i think they are one of those no quite there but will do the job motors

lee mat:

that’s the benefit of a W&D :smiley: you can put your own storage box behind the diesel tank :wink:

Denis F:

lee mat:

that’s the benefit of a W&D :smiley: you can put your own storage box behind the diesel tank :wink:

Funny I was just thinking, If I only had 2 trailers, I’d probably put a storage box on both.