HOW FAR

how far do you live from your place of work ? i was just wondering as a chance of a job has come up just what i want to do :smiley: but its 3hours away as its european and away 1 to 2 weeks at a time does the distance realy matter :question: :question:

IMHO No distance doesn’t matter if you have got the job you want and or like. Of course the moneys got to be enough to cover it. If you are on nights out all week then as you know you only travel once a week at the most, so no problem.
Having said that there is probably still a limit on distance, but it would be a lot more than if you were on day work.

BTW, do they need another ? :grimacing: :laughing: :wink:

I would have said in the case you describe it isn’t a really big consideration. If you are going to be away tramping round Europe for a couple of weeks at atime you’ll only be doing the journey to and from work about twice every two weeks. I live about 30 miles from the place I work out of but I travel to it once a week and home from it once a week, sometimes less than that, every day would be a different story

i am very luck with my job as whites yard is only 5 mins by car from my house :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

margatemafia:
i am very luck with my job as whites yard is only 5 mins by car from my house :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You should be walking then, not going by car :wink:

Paul

i’m 5mins from work by car, :laughing: b4 u say anything repton it’s longer by foot :laughing: :laughing:

repton wrote

You should be walking then, not going by car

but i am a driver mate, that is what i do…if i wanted to walk i would buy a blue rainproof coat and a rucksack and walking stick and climb a mountain :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

74 miles each way was the furthest i have travelled

15 Miles each way EVERY day. never counted the costs as long as i like the job thats all that matters.

well this post is about how far your work is from your home.we have various answers as you would expect.i noticed jammy says he don’t count the cost as long as he enjoys the job.which is fare enough but what would be the limit of distance that each one of you would be prepared to travel to and from work per day. :question: because at the end of the day the idea is to make money not to pay out on lots of fuel just to get to work.we have guys that travel from ayrshire area to mossend every day and they are paying in excess off 150-200 quid per month on fuel,to me that is way over the top for fuel just for a job.this is aimed at the uk based driver who is home every nite or works niteshift and is home every day. :wink: cheers

jammymutt:
15 Miles each way EVERY day. never counted the costs as long as i like the job thats all that matters.

It’s about the same for me Alex, from the far side of Dewsbury to the Leeds container base every evening and morning.

12 miles each way takes 15mins in the morning and about an hour at night

simon

SimonRS2K:
12 miles each way takes 15mins in the morning and about an hour at night

simon

Where did you get the avatar from Si :question:. Anymore like it :question:. I want one. :slight_smile:

Trying to find some more now rob :sunglasses:

anymore then 10 miles each way and i draw the line. that way if the car packs up i know i can push bike it or a taxi won’t cost me a fortune.

at the mo im travelling 5 miles each wayand putting £40 quids worth of petrol in a month (includes galavanting about)…

im also home everynight :smiley:

jon

Work is 35 miles away but I travel up on a monday, and back on a friday, and Im away all week so I dont consider that to be excessively far.

I used to work for a firm in Wandsworth, and thats about 70 miles away but again, I was away for long periods so I didnt mind the travelling.

The furthest away I have worked was for a firm in Bishops Waltham, near Winchester. Thats around 140 miles, but again, I was away for long periods.

If I had to travel to work every day, I would not impose an arbitrary limit- it would all depend on the deal on offer.

That`s the way to look at it, in my opinion anyway.

Vince

After several years of driving to Coventry (24 miles round) then Stoneleigh (30 miles round) then Kineton (64 miles round) I now have the luxury of the base within 2 miles. Also as I’m driving the Sprinter I can keep it at home so current journey to work is 30 feet :smiley: Once I’m in the van I’m earning.

Doing my bit to depress property prices in Nuneaton :smiley: :smiley: (recent report which states that)

Calv

As calv says… if you have the oppurtunity to take the vehicle home, then distance doesn’t matter one bit!
My outfit is never parked in the ‘yard’ … I go there once a week to hand POD’s etc in … but then as mine is Dutch registered, I can get away with the ‘parked at base’ problem. I am 20 minutes away from our UK base but park it 4 minutes away from home… can be crucial when it comes to breaks sometimes. Parking at home and having a 9 means I get 9 at home… not 7½ - 8 cos I have had to drive home and back again

Last job was 90 miles round trip EVERY DAY… :frowning: :frowning:

Now it’s 44 miles there and back…

Doesn’t sound alot, but in a car that can do as little as 10mpg, it is… !!!
IF the job paid more then I wouldn’t mind, but a tenner a day in fuel is a reasonable chunk of my wages… :frowning:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses: