How do you track driving time?

Question that I have been pondering, I use the trip counter on my DAF, but this keeps counting even while I am stationary unless I turn the engine off, so for example if I am stuck in a long q of traffic after there has been an accident it keeps counting, but I am not actually driving.

Any suggestions?

I don’t understand your question… :question:
Even in a stationary traffic jam you are still driving, even driving around a rail depot for example you are still driving… :question: :question:

I just write down when i start and stop on my note pad, makes it easier to see where you are in relation to your hours. Also if you press the up arrow on the digital tacho (the siemens VDO unit) when the vehicle is moving then it will tell you how long you have been driving since your last break over 45mins. But i think this only works when you are driving and not stopped.

Its an analogue tacho, I was under the impression that “driving time” was only when the wheels where actually turning, all other time is classed as other work.

Dogmatix:
Its an analogue tacho, I was under the impression that “driving time” was only when the wheels where actually turning, all other time is classed as other work.

Afraid not pal, you are driving if you are on the road wheels turning or not… :unamused: :unamused:

Perhaps a look HERE might help :slight_smile:

So if you have the engine running when your on your break to keep the cab warm its classed as “driving time” :question: so are your supposed to shiver in your cab for it to be classed as break :question: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Our 55 plate DAF’s trips count if your not moving, but the 56 plate onwards dont continue to count if your not moving

I use a count down timer ment for cooking to count down the 4:40 min driving time. then use stop watch on my watch to count the break time if im in an analouge truck.

I use a TS02 Drivers Hour Guard bought from Davey Driver at Techno solutions.

i use the stop watch on my mobile, when i pull up and stop to tip ect i pause it and start it again when i pull away, also got a countdown timer which i set for breaks ect, never over run my time yet, bought one of those tachodisc checkers from the service’s to check the cards at the end of the day when i fill out my time sheet, so i know to the minute what work i have done driving, poa’s and breaks ect, works for me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So what your are saying is - Your driving along a Motorway and the traffic just stops in front of you for no apparent reason, you sit there in this jam for say two hours or so and you do not count this as driving… :question: I would love to be the VOSA man you explain that to…DOH… :unamused: :unamused:

Smee:
So what your are saying is - Your driving along a Motorway and the traffic just stops in front of you for no apparent reason, you sit there in this jam for say two hours or so and you do not count this as driving… :question: I would love to be the VOSA man you explain that to…DOH… :unamused: :unamused:

Well I am hardly driving am I? I could be asleep for 2 hours.

You carry on, you are a welcome addition the the ranks of professional truck drivers… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Smee:

VOSA wouldnt do anything.

When your wheels arent moving you are not driving. its classed as other work. thats how the tachograph works, and records it. so must be valid if questioned by VOSA

Carry on guy’s best of luck… :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ok how about this one then, I drive to York, which is a 4 hour trip each way, after 2 hours driving I have to sit on the A1 for 2 hours while the road is unblocked.
According to that, I will be unable to get home due to running out of hours.

BigJon:

Smee:

VOSA wouldnt do anything.

When your wheels arent moving you are not driving. its classed as other work. thats how the tachograph works, and records it. so must be valid if questioned by VOSA

Thats exactly what I thought.

GET A KITCHEN TIMER.

Put 4 & half hours on it. Press start when you move off and stop when you do. Put some Velcro on the back and stick it on the dash. The clock counts down so you always know how long before you must take your break or park up. Nearly all trucky shops sell them. Keep a spar battery.

Sorry Smee but you are wrong on this one, if the truck is stationary then the tacho records this as other work.

I used to think the same as you until our local VOSA man came into the office and I asked him the same question because I had noticed the digi recorded it this way, his reply was that if the wheels are not moving its classed as other work.

Your obviously missing the point :unamused: theres a ruddy big difference to sitting at traffic lights or in a trafic jam for a few minutes compared to sitting in stationary traffic for 2 hrs.

Common sense would tell any driver that if he is met with a road closure and he cant go anywhere, he should turn off his engine and switch his tacho to other work or break or even poa if he knows its going to be a while.

If you have your engine running to heat the cab, then tough luck, if your sitting in the driving seat your in a position to drive aren’t you, so move to the passenger seat and you cant be accused of driving.

Another way to look at it is this, switch off the engine and you cant drive can you so therefore its not driving time :wink:

As far as Vosa are concerned, if your tacho shows movement every minute as your crawling along in slow moving traffic, your driving, if there’s no trace because you were stood still for more than 5 minutes or so, your not driving.

Less than 5 minutes could be viewed as waiting at a level crossing or traffic lights etc

Surely common sense tells you that?

Smee:

Dogmatix:

Afraid not pal, you are driving if you are on the road wheels turning or not… :unamused: :unamused:

Who’s to know?
Unless VOSA are tracking you, they certainly don’t. If I’m sat in a prang, I turn my timer off after about 2mins, put my seat back and feet up.