How about some cheering folks?

A few newbies have passed C or CE tests recently and I’ve noticed that they have not had as many congrats as usual :frowning:

I know a lot on here do not visit the newbies forum often but it is near Xmas :slight_smile:

These newbies have done well and are faced with little prospects of using their newly aquired licence :exclamation:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40097

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38913

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39906

I feel a bit sorry for them
spending up to £2,500 to pass their test.

I wouldnt congradulate and welcome someone
who just lost £2,500

Maybe this injection of fresh blood
might be the drive this industry needs.

I wish them all the best,
and would advise keep a full time job,
and drive on days off etc …
to get experience.

But for gods sake dont get
too excited and quit your current job.

Best Wishes all newbies.

it’s great news for them rog. i’ll post congrats. Bit off topic but hope these agencies don’t lead em down the garden path promising them regular work so they jack the perm job and is there anything against these companies advertising get you licence and earn 31,000 grand a year?? sorry for going off topic rog.

it’s no use congratulating them, then telling them they’ve wasted all their life savings! Let’s be a bit more positive guys

COME ON YOU BLUES, COME ON YOU BLUES…

Macka Packa:
I feel a bit sorry for them
spending up to £2,500 to pass their test.

I wouldnt congradulate and welcome someone
who just lost £2,500

Maybe this injection of fresh blood
might be the drive this industry needs.

I wish them all the best,
and would advise keep a full time job,
and drive on days off etc …
to get experience.

But for gods sake dont get
too excited and quit your current job.

Best Wishes all newbies.

Strange you should say that … :slight_smile: Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE

ROG:
Firstly - the ‘shortage of LGV drivers’ is generally NOT TRUE.
You have probably now realised that the ‘BIG BUCKS’ which you might have been lured with are also very rare in this industry.

There have been quite a few posts from newbies around the UK recently stating that after they pass their LGV test(s), they are increasingly finding it difficult to get work with most employers and agencies insisting on 2 years experience.

It has never been easy to get that first foot on the ladder but I think the current economic situation has made it worse especially with experienced LGV drivers now unemployed.

So that’s the negative side :frowning: of the situation but what about the POSITIVE side :question: :exclamation:

You now have proof that you are capable of handling a large vehicle and have recently undertaken driver training - a bonus for any potential employer or agency. So what is the best way to use that :question:

dieseldave:
My tip for you is to keep plugging away with the agency route, but ask for assignments in vans and/or 7.5t, rather than LGVs…
Once your face fits with the clients and they see that you’re reliable and flexible etc, some clients might ask you whether you can drive larger vehicles.
If you approach the problem in this way, it might just be beneficial to you… :wink:

If an agency or employer is faced with a number of candidates after 7.5 tonner or van work and one of those has your recent training EXPERIENCE, who are they likely to choose :question: IMO, and especially with agencies, the person whose skills they might be able to utilise now and build on later.

Use what you do have to your best advantage.

If I was going to get my LGV nowadays then I would research the local job market before parting with any money. Then, if I still wanted to get my LGV, I would stay in my current job, whatever that was, and perhaps try to get a day every other weekend as a bit of extra money and to gain a little experience.

Link to part time LGV driving rules when the driving is not the main job.

The occasional shift done at the weekend might even pay for the licence over a 2 year period. For arguments sake, lets say I did 1 day a month for £100 a shift - that would soon build up over 24 months.

Once it got close to the 2 years of holding the licence, (that seems to be the same as 2 years experience for insurance purposes :exclamation: :open_mouth:) I would then seriously go for a full time LGV job.

I know not everyone is experiencing the ‘Brick wall’ but I would advise keeping all options open.

tachograph:
To be completely honest, regardless of age I don’t think I would really recommend anyone parting with hard earned money to train as an HGV driver in the current economical climate unless they have a job waiting at the end of it.
It seems that companies aren’t advertising jobs and agencies are taking the ■■■■, the simple fact is that at the moment there are more available drivers than jobs and that situation probably won’t change any time soon, at this time of year it should be the agencies that are desperately trying to get drivers regardless of experience but that doesn’t appear to be the case, there will always be those that get lucky but on the whole I would say that peoples money would probably be better spent on other things that have more chance of leading to full time employment.
With more regulation and higher cost for training it has to be asked “economically is it worth it?”.

With questions like this,

I,ll retake my driving test every month :smiling_imp:

Macka Packa:

I could stay behind that all day long. :smiley:

Mr B:
it’s no use congratulating them, then telling them they’ve wasted all their life savings! Let’s be a bit more positive guys

Hoora Hoora

Poor sods… :frowning: :frowning:

i say well done, they had a lot of hoops to go through and they have done it.

Macka Packa:

I wonder if this is why the C test has been extended to 1 hour minimum road drive :unamused: :wink:

ROG:
A few newbies have passed C or CE tests recently and I’ve noticed that they have not had as many congrats as usual :frowning:

I know a lot on here do not visit the newbies forum often but it is near Xmas :slight_smile:

These newbies have done well and are faced with little prospects of using their newly aquired licence :exclamation:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40097

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38913

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39906

Thanks folks, i’m sure your efforts have brought an even bigger silly grin to those that have recently passed :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: