High trailers

Does anyone have any photos of trailers of 15’6" or higher :question:
Double deckers would also be ok. If so can you post them on here for Alexinny to see :question: :sunglasses:

Maybe not the highest load but it amuses me everytime I see them.

The bridge height limits are normally marked at 5.00 Metres and the bridges still get damaged.

Looks like your typical Indo/Pakistani trucking company… :unamused:

Most trailers have 35-40% unusable space. 50% of loads are limited by volume not weight.

A double deck system can reduce this wasted space down to 5-10%. Two floors with a I.5m headroom within a 4m overall height will carry 37% more than a standard 82 cu.m vehicle. That means 3O cubic meters extra capacity.

To take advantage of the extra weight that can be carried through the 44 tonne law, a double deck system may be required, especially if the products being carried are volume constrained.

Hmmm…they look tall, but the manufacturer says they are only 4m(13’ )tall, as does the site for Woodside. Low floors, but still shorter overall than your basic trailer here in the states.

I still haven’t seen a trailer taller than the 13’6" (4.13m) tall trailers we run every day. (My company has 2500 trailers, and each one is 13’6")

This Bridge is 14’9’’

and the trailer didnt make it!!!

‘What went wrong’■■?. The answer was simple - the trailer used had a raisable roof line. With the roof in the lowered position the trailer could safely negotiate this bridge but with it in the raised position the trailer could would not be able to clear the bridge and it was in this condition, with the roof raised, that caused the accident

Yeah, but was that before they paved under it? I’ve seen paving crews drop 6-8" of asphalt under a bridge without changing the clearance. It’s so common that, here in NY, they post bridge clearances 1’ low just in case this happens.

I’m still waiting for somebody to send me a link to a manufacturer that makes trailers any higher than 4m. So far, that’s the highest I’ve seen.

BTW, take a look at those firemen in the picture, and compare them to the bridge. Either those guys are about 7’ tall, or that bridge is more like 12’6" on the far side. Also notice the width of the trailer (8’6", as stated before). Comparing it to the bridge, it looks like a 12’ clearance. Follow the stone course to the edge and measure it yourself.

I’d be checking that clearance sign for tampering. Probably some yob with too much time on his hands thought it would be funny. Such things happen here, too.

To make a long story short, that bridge is most definately not 14’6". No way.

Alexinny.
It is only Europe that runs at 4.0 metres, here in the uk there isnt a height limit except for the heavier end of the scale.

Most Motorway Bridges are 16’ 6’’ and there are many trailers close to that limit.

Still looking :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
and getting higher!! :wink:

donbur.co.uk/palletmaster_2001.htm

This trailer is manufactured at 4.2 metres (@ 13’ 10" ) according the the maker :smiley:

OK, so far you got us beat by 4"…

BTW, in Texas they often mark overpasses no matter how high they are. I once saw one actually marked at somewhere around 24’. I doubt there was ever any trailer that tall…

One more thing-what kind of air couplings do you use? Here, we are required by law to use the old gladhands with rubber ■■■■■ seals. Looks like you can use just plain push-in air couplings. Must get ripped out by newbie drivers a lot…

From the SDC website…top of their “curtainsiders” list in “used stock”

17 x 2000 Montracon 13.6m tri axle air ride 4.35m step frame Curtainsiders

That’s 14ft 3". :wink:

See for yourself… sdctrailers.com/used-trailer … -list.html

Still looking…

14ft 5"… :sunglasses:

HERE!

Still looking…:grimacing:

Dawsons Trailer rentals can let you lease one at 15ft 5"… :sunglasses:

Have a look HERE

Still looking… :unamused:

Hill hire have a few at 15ft 9"…right HERE!

Still[/i] looking… :open_mouth:

In fact… a quick search of these very forums yields Quinny’s firm…have a look at THIS!!!

Rikki-UK:

The bottom trailer is difinately a 16’ trailer

Tarmacing (Paving) under a bridge would by law make the authorities have to alter the warning sign before any traffic was allowed to use that route.
By law in the UK all clearances must be 3 inches over the stated clearance, so if a bridge is 16’6" it must by law be at least 16’9".
As I stated before at swift transport we had three 16’6" trailers, I took one south of the Thames through the Blackwall tunnel, which had a 16’ clearance, I had to drive straddling both lanes to keep from hitting the arch. Once empty I could not get back because northbound the tunnel is 13’6". I had to leave the trailer in Greenwich for two days so the police could organise a return route :laughing:
On one other occassion I was in Tunbridge Wells with one and had to go down a one way street the wrong way to miss the 14’6" bridge in the centre of town. My run that day ended in Broadstairs, Kent and running through back roads had forced a piece of alloy to bend upward about 3 inches, I took down every phone line on the main road in, phone lines in the UK have to be 16’9" above the road.

Sounds like a real hassle to drive them, and from Pat’s story, it sounds like there are a lot of places where they should never be routed!

Here in the US, even though 13’6" is the common trailer size, there are many problems in Boston, NYC and Chicago with low clearances. Once, I had to take the 59th street bridge lower level into Manhattan with a 13’6" trailer. There were corner gussets in the slow lane that were 13’ high, and you were not allowed to drive a truck in the left lane! I followed a Yellow Freight driver, and stayed just as far left as possible. He barely cleared the gussets; I didn’t bother to look to see how close my trailer was.

Around here, a 16’ trailer would be “sardine canned” in a matter of days.

You should see the empty ones blow over in a storm Alex. When I worked for that company there was a bad storm hit southern England one night and in our company 8 from just one depot flipped, all 8 were within 10 miles of each other on the M25. :exclamation:

Hey, I sat out hurricane Hugo at a Flying J stop down in NC. I think 5 or 6 trailers blew over that night in the lot. My trailer was loaded heavy with paper rolls, but the trailer next to mine banged into mine during the night. We had the windows covered with plywood,and we sat for 6 hours with only candlelight, so I didn’t see it happen.