Hiab's

hi folks

I’m driving a truck thats on hire at the mo and its got one of them radio controlled hiabs on, and after 5 years of using a old lever controlled one,I think that the controls seem over sensitive or is it me being a heavyhanded with the pad??

and it also seems to be a lot slower at actually lifting and slewing or am I just imagining it

anyone else have any experience of these ■■?

i use a remote controlled atlas crane everyday, they are a lot more sensitive than lever cranes and i think harder to operate than an older lever crane - you have to be really gentle with the levers on a remote, so you might be a bit heavy handed with it until you get used to it - it gets easy though after a while once you have the feel for it . It may have speed settings which would slow it down, ours have a switch on the remote and with it on slow certain movements on the crane are slowed down a lot

They do take a bit of getting used to; agreed you have to be more gentle on the controls, but the payback of course is that you get a better view of the proceedings being able to walk round freely.

Word of caution! Watch out for dodgy geezers getting into your wagon whilst you’re out operating the crane; I have had this happen to me, bloke was one of the site guys looking for me as it happened but if you’re tipping in a city centre or suchlike it could easily be some-one after your mobile phone. As the engine’s running you can’t lock the doors of course so keep an eye out.

Have a look and see if there is a tortoise / hare setting on the box which will alter the speed at which it works.

The sensitivity issue is because you are operating a small switch rather than a nice big lever controlled valve.

The one I used was a 39t/m and it had a brain of it’s own. You had to do things in a certain order or it wouldn’t work properly.

The advantages of being able to operate remotely are worth the disadvantage especially if you are working solo.

Am I correct in thinking the advantage of the RC is that you don’t need a banksman?

bestbooties:
Am I correct in thinking the advantage of the RC is that you don’t need a banksman?

Theoretically yes; in practice it depends on how much of a “box-ticker” the site manager is.

I used one a while ago on BM work, found it very useful once I’d actually got into the habit of taking the remote out of the cab with me. :blush:

cheers guys for the info

hadnt thought about the security aspect of not being able to lock the cab aswell something else to remember

I shall have alook for the hare n tortoise later on when I go into work, late start today :slight_smile: 1 pm and a night out in lovely Penrith

If I had a remote crane vehicle allocated to me permanently, I’d get a spare key cut so I could lock the cab.

8wheels:
If I had a remote crane vehicle allocated to me permanently, I’d get a spare key cut so I could lock the cab.

I was thinking that too 8wheels. I would probably attach my key to the remote, it should make a big enough key fob so I wouldn’t loose it :blush: :laughing: :laughing: .

gnasty gnome:
Word of caution! Watch out for dodgy geezers getting into your wagon whilst you’re out operating the crane; I have had this happen to me, bloke was one of the site guys looking for me as it happened but if you’re tipping in a city centre or suchlike it could easily be some-one after your mobile phone. As the engine’s running you can’t lock the doors of course so keep an eye out.

Good advice for any driver using engine driven equipment, such as car transporters, tankers or cranes.

It is worth getting a spare key cut, although many keys now have a chip built into them, preventing the engine starting. you only need one to lock the doors that will cost a tenner so you can leave the original keys in the ignition.