H.I.A.B Question

Hi guys, i completed my h.i.a.b course about 3 weeks ago and have not done any work so far. got a job for 4 weeks starting monday doing various hiab deliveries.
Im fine on all the controls etc and know what im doing but have just thought of one thing i know i need to know that i wasnt taught.

question is… how do i turn the revs up on the lorry to give more power to the hiab if lifting heavier loads? i know vehicles vary and it wont be in the same place oon each one but what am i looking for?

help would be much appreciated dudes

On more modern recent trucks you use the cruise control, or there may be a seperate hand throttle on the crane controls. You should only need a couple of hundred revs over tickover if that.

so it should be easy to find then?

Some of the modern cranes will automatically increase the revs once you switch the crane on.

on one truck there was a lever on the mud guard to increase the revs. On another piece of junk i had to wedge a small wooden stick up against the accelerator - what a nightmare! marble is the worst stuff to hiab.

I worked on a hiab for years and most new vehicles increase revs automaticaly if not ask before you leave the yard they will have a hand throttle on them another tip if your useing the hiab with a grab on put a glove over the leaver that opens and closes the grab could save a lot of embarasment later

in what part of the country do you live as i know of agencies needing HIAB

i live in north wales like so a bit out of the way, my agencies are around chester area and thats about as far as i go towards england, the rest of my work is in the bangor and anglesea area.

out in the sticks i know hahahaha but its home

the revs will be turned up either by the cruise control which sets it at about 600rpm when pto is engaged or you could find that the revs go up when you pull the levers,there is no need to increase the revs for lifting heavier loads the crane is set to lift at its maxium so the revs it gives you will be sufficent for the load, just dont take the arm completely straight with a load on it as it will lock out and then you have to reset it and bring it down in stages, always keep a slight kink at the elbows and keep an eye on the flashing lights on the display if you have one, as long as their green your lifting in the cranes capacity once they go red your putting stress on different parts of the crane,and always always fully extend your legs,if an hse officer sees you operating without legs fully extended expect a fine and your hiab taken away,ive seen it happen.

My advice is always put the load in the easiest spot,
(no neccessary where they want it delivered :wink: )
i use to deliver scaffolding,
and got asked on site to put it here or there,

If there was a 1% chance of doing damage , i refuesed.
remember theres a lot of weight.

I had a rev lever on my mudguard next to the controls.

(small tip , if theres a forkie on site ask him to tip you
instead ,they are usually faster and more manourable)

also make sure you know where the bleed valve is before you take the
wagon out,
so if the arm freezes you can
release the pressure (and not left with a load stuck
in the air :blush: )

iceroadrucker:
so it should be easy to find then?

Dont be afraid to ask before you leave site,