Your best Hiab /Crane please!

Hi There.

Im getting all conflicting reports from dealers about the best Crane set up for a 26 ton / 32 ton tipper grab.

Can i ask any of you with any crane experience on how you rate them ,doesnt matter if your crane was not a grab, i just need to know what make you think was good ( or bad for that matter).

It seems Epsilon /Hiab/ Atlas / Palinger and HMF are the usual ones.

Also what about buckets on a grab? Kinsoffer??

look forward to your replies.

Tricky d

I used to have an Atlas, which was a good tool but the customer support wasn’t the best. Nowadays it’s a Cormach crane that I use occasionally, it seems to be much slower to operate but that could be a trait of this particular unit.

the current crane I use is a Copma, but I actually prefered the HMF crane on the wagon at my old place as it was alot easier to swap between brick grab, the hook and the grab where as to put the brick grab on the copma its right nightmare

In my last employment with a plant hire firm, I had a Actros with a Palfinger PK27002B, I found that this particular model really needed rear legs on the body, instead lowering the rear suspension for stability, it had four stages meaning I could pickup just under half ton from the rear of the truck, a little more if I took off the saftey measures, ( NOT A GOOD IDEA) as well as being remote controlled, it also had the option where the Jib could be raised above the level position for going under door ways, It was a perfect tool for the work it was required for, ie, picking up access machines and 3 ton diggers that had tipped over or cabins and generators, the main thing to remember when ussing the remote, was to ensure it was on stable ground, as you were not always in view of the outriggers. As for the maintenance side of things we had a company called T H White, very good in there field.This could also be adapted for other attachments such as grab or forks.

I have a HIAB 420 HIPRO on my truck, great crane, good response on remote, variable speed, good battery life on remote. It is a shame that Hiab customer service is 100% diabolical.!!!

Had a breakdown on site a couple of months ago, called customer services they said they would send breakdown guy out in 3 DAYS!!! FFS. We now use central lorry loaders for all our service and repair work. Fantastic team there they know their stuff and response time to breakdown is second to none.

Never been overly impressed with atlas cranes, the hmf was ok, smooth but quite quick, pessci short boom was good at loading front of deck (front mount crane) but a bit slow, current pm ok, but you always want to lift a bit more or a bit futher away!

For many years I owned and operated both atlas and hiab roll-loaders on 40ft trailers for bricks and blocks and roof tiles. Must say, never had any real problems with either. Very use full cranes the roll-loaders, once bricks were tipped roll to the headboard and fold down in 5 minutes 36 ft of trailer for flat work home.

I have a Fassi 170,had it 3yrs now and have had no problems at all with it, it does everything it should
and works smoothly,had problems initially but that was to do with fassi fitting contractors not the crane ( ithink they were based at monkey world). Would also recommend paying the extra for remote control,dont know how we managed before. A friend of mine has a 55TM PM and has nothing but trouble from day 1,loads of electrical issues with it, something like 3 replacment computer boards sensors switchs etc total nightmare.and diabolical service from the supplying agent.