Help !!

Hi had my first lesson today (class 2)
My question is, say im apporaching traffic lights that are on green (im travling at 30mph) whats the correct procedure to slow down? Thanks

foot on the middle pedal :smiley:

Seriously though, not much different to driving a car, if approaching green T/Ls then possibly drop down a gear, but its your judgement ie how long they’ve been green, traffic turning right, road ahead is clear etc etc. just don’t coast.

I found it useful if I was gonna go straight through (30mph road) to drop from 7 to 6, and if I needed to stop I could do so safely in 6 and dip clutch when revs reached about 700 rpm. However if loaded I think going down box would be more prudent.

My instructor used to tell me that an the approach to the lights you should take your foot of the accelerator and cover the brake. When you’re close to the lights (at the point where you couldn’t stop in time even if they did change) you then go back onto the accelerator. There is no need to slow down anymore than this - unless they change to red of course :slight_smile:

madtrucker:
My instructor used to tell me that an the approach to the lights you should take your foot of the accelerator and cover the brake. When you’re close to the lights (at the point where you couldn’t stop in time even if they did change) you then go back onto the accelerator. There is no need to slow down anymore than this - unless they change to red of course :slight_smile:

Was your instructor me :question: :question: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

madtrucker wrote:
My instructor used to tell me that an the approach to the lights you should take your foot of the accelerator and cover the brake. When you’re close to the lights (at the point where you couldn’t stop in time even if they did change) you then go back onto the accelerator. There is no need to slow down anymore than this - unless they change to red of course

Was your instructor me

No Rog I think it was me. :laughing: :laughing:

Remember green lights are far more dangerous than red lights.
Red lights make you slow down on approach anyway and can only change to green where you can keep going.
Green lights have a nasty habit of waiting until you are very close then starting to change to stop! so be prepared for them.