DAY 1 Training survived

Thanks for all the links for helpful tips etc on last post guys…

Have just survived my 1st days training (class c) and wow what a eye opener…

The shear size for one and the gears… or lack of finding them…
:laughing:

Very unnerving but have a patient trainer…

Hoping it will all sink in …

new found respect 2 all truckers…

Help my head is mashed :open_mouth:

Did you have FUN :question: :question:

one stage of the drive was ace with no traffic hardly ahead and a nice wide road

i kept going from low 4 to high 8 :laughing:

what advice would u give when approaching traffic lights…

do you always slow down on approach and if so how far away…

i was covering the brake when getting close then pushing gas if green about 6 ft away…

woodsie73:
what advice would u give when approaching traffic lights…

do you always slow down on approach and if so how far away…
YES - DEPENDS ON SPEED
i was covering the brake when getting close then pushing gas if green about 6 ft away…

If choice of slam on brake or accelerate through amber - choose latter if safe

You survived but did everyone else? :smiley:

I´m in the same boat as you woodsie, had my assessment last week and I found that the width was a problem everywhere, only made worse by the length when it came to a junction.

I reckon that this is something that, as you get experience and become more familiar with the vehicle, will allow you to concentate more on the actual driving to DSA standards just like when you took your car test. Is it a four over four or a slapover gearbox? My assessment was a slapover and I kept on rushing the change so that it didnt go into the high range box.

Good luck mate and let us know how it goes.

Hi schrodingers cat and woodsie73. :grimacing:

This might help: CLICKY. :smiley:

:open_mouth: It’s some loony rambling on about gearboxes. :wink:

Diesel dave,you may be a looney but I found that thread very helpful,the last time I drove a range change box before last year it was a 9sp fuller road ranger,the upside down back to front thingy,I’m sure you know the one.
Simon :smiley:

thegeordie:
Diesel dave,you may be a looney but I found that thread very helpful,the last time I drove a range change box before last year it was a 9sp fuller road ranger,the upside down back to front thingy,I’m sure you know the one.
Simon :smiley:

I was only pulling my own leg. :grimacing: ( :open_mouth: a sure sign of lunacy :laughing: )

I do indeed remember that roadranger gearbox, the one of those that I drove was in a Seddon Atki.
They are a far cry from what’s available these days. :smiley:

:smiley: I’m very glad you found my thread helpful. :smiley:

Have just survived my 1st days training (class c) and wow what a eye opener…

The shear size for one and the gears… or lack of finding them…

Very unnerving but have a patient trainer…

Hoping it will all sink in …

new found respect 2 all truckers…
:laughing: :laughing: so relate to this :wink: BUT it will all come together it did for me hell day 3 off 7 was going to jack it all in :astonished: :astonished: :open_mouth: the light came on ,byway have you gone from 6 to crawler yet :blush: puts instructor’s nose on windscreen :blush: :confused: :blush: :wink: good luck

I had the same problems on my first day with class C, I was training 2 up, not 1 to 1, the other guy had driven 4 over 4 so knew where to start. When it came my turn to have a go, all at sea in no time flat, in gear, in the wrong gear, in neutral, the only gear I didn’t get was reverse. Instructor just expected me to know where to go for all the bits, when it’s your first time it can be a bit much.

One thing the instructor did pass on, which I found very useful, when you stop, to make sure you in the correct range of gears…

“Hand brake, neutral, rest feet, cancel signal, switch down”.

You probably know this by now, just a thought. Keep going it’s great when it all comes together.

teatree:
switch down

“Get that ■■■■■■■ switch down Dustin for christ sake!”

Phew, still gives me nightmares! :open_mouth:

I found that the width was a problem , only made worse by the length

Don’t we all? :laughing:

I’ll get me coat.