C Training : Day 3. Red traffic light approach

Evening All !!

Quick question, Day 3, all going fairly ok, However, on approaching red traffic lights, (on more than one occasion,) I have the urge (and then follow through with said urge) to change down.

My instructor, tells me not to touch the gear lever, but drive to a smooth stop. If the lights then change, before I arrive, then change down. Otherwise bring the vehicle to a complete stop, in whatever gear I am in.

Any suggestions? as his increasingly firm tone (which I appreciate actually) does not seem to be sinking in.

Maybe even just writing this, and voicing my concern, might help me in curing this habit.

Any decent suggestions, from instructor types? or experienced people? Thanks.

Your Instructor is spot on with his information :smiley: - why change gear when there is no need to - brakes to slow/gears to go

Whilst braking, to slow down on approach, make a conscious effort to keep both hands on the wheel - keep braking until the vehicle tells you it is getting close to stalling and only then use the cluth to prevent this. STEER NOT GEAR in this situation unless the lights change the do exactly as your Instructor says about selecting the correct gear to caryy on driving.

Hope this helps

john

Try driving your car in the same way you are being taught to drive the lorry

LGV driving and advanced driving are very close in their styles so you are not only being taught how to drive a lorry but how to change your whole driving style for every vehicle

Steer NOT GEAR…

Steer NOT GEAR…

Steer NOT GEAR…

I like that, many thanks !

Ommm… new Mantra for bed time… ‘Steer NOT GEAR’

All the above advice is spot on - with one glaring exception.

Whilst what is being described is totally correct, changing down on the approach to lights (provided that the gear is correct for the road speed) is not a driving fault on a driving test. It’s not the best. It’s not right. It’s a waste of time and energy. But it wont stand between you and passing a test.

If I was your instructor, I’d think of something else to concentrate on that may be of more use.

So try to correct it. But don’t have kittens over it.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete.

I am not so much the type to worry, but I am fairly precise individual.

Therefore, the not having kittens advice;

if I can manage 98%, but not overly concern myself, if maybe on one occasion it happens, seems very helpful.

Thanks all.

If you use an extra gear change once in your test, the examiner will take no notice at all. Do it all the time and he’ll just think you’re a plonker. But still - no mark.

Best of luck - RELAX!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not knocking anyones advice, but I’ve been training since Wednesday for C, test on Monday. How I’ve been instructed in that situation is to approach and change down as I’m approaching and braking, in readiness should the lights change and I can pick up again.

SuffolkLad:
Not knocking anyones advice, but I’ve been training since Wednesday for C, test on Monday. How I’ve been instructed in that situation is to approach and change down as I’m approaching and braking, in readiness should the lights change and I can pick up again.

That it called - engaging a covering gear - the gear change should be done after the braking has finished

Slow down on approach either by easing off or braking to the required approach speed then release brake pedal if that was being used and change down gear

It’s vital to remember the importance of being in the correct gear for the speed at the correct time. Exactly how you achive this is academic. The easy and best ways are explained above but there’s more than one way to skin a rabbit.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

SuffolkLad:

+1 thats how i was shown as well.