Help! tesco assessment

hi everyone, long time since I posted anything, ok I need a bit of help i just went today for an interview on tesco distribution centre in weybridge everything was ok and they gave me the assesment day for this monday bank holiday at 5 am i am pretty nervous they told me they’re very hard testing your reversing well for the last month I’ve been driving most 7.5t and 12t doing multidrops and I’ve done some shunting at nights for agencies but I have not been driving artics, I just booked a training session with my old training school for tomorrow but only 2 hours, I’m find driving forwards but when it comes to reversing well thats a different story I only know how to reverse to a bay the typical reversing exercise on the driving test but tesco will assest you in many different situations like blind side reversing and diagonal parking in a spot, has anyone done it I’m pretty sure must of you have is there any tricks apart from taking it slowly, I know I would have time tomorrow to ask the instructor but you guys that live in the real world may know a few more tricks, ahhh! one more thing If you pass the reverse they take you for a store delivery any tricky ones out there close to weybridge that you know of or you have done a delivery for tesco and of course if there is anyone out there that will like to make a few extra quids in the weekend teaching me the tricks I will really appreciated cause the training school can only give me 2 hours and I’m not sure if that is enough bearing in mind that I haven’t touch an artic for 8 weeks now, any help will be appreciated…thanks everyone and I’ll be waiting for your comments…

TESCO ASSESSMENT
Hope it helps

:bulb: If you put the words TESCO ASSESSMENT into the search at the top right of this page then it gives some more posts and threads on this :bulb:

some people i’ve heard when doing a tesco assesment they have had a green house loaded into their trailer - not secured :open_mouth: ,the idea being (so they think) your driving should be so smooth the green house wont smash when out on test, and when you return to base it will be intact in theory.

Cruise Control:
some people i’ve heard when doing a tesco assesment they have had a green house loaded into their trailer - not secured :open_mouth: ,the idea being (so they think) your driving should be so smooth the green house wont smash when out on test, and when you return to base it will be intact in theory.

No, no, no. They now do it with the assessor putting a full mug of coffee or that other hot drink on the dashboard and they measure how much is left in the mug when you return to base, less than 75% of the original amount and you fail the assessment.

Coffeeholic:
No, no, no. They now do it with the assessor putting a full mug of coffee or that other hot drink on the dashboard and they measure how much is left in the mug when you return to base, less than 75% of the original amount and you fail the assessment.

Almost correct - a super hot mug of boling water is put between the drivers legs and if it spills then the assessor knows by how much by the pitch of the scream :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just be careful if you do the Pitsea store.

youtube.com/watch?v=ybhQRjlJq24

Mind you when you watch the next clip you can see why they are so tough on your assessement drive, but how did some of these guys slip thourgh the net :blush:

youtube.com/watch?v=k4_n0Q2IhPw

Rosbergg:
hi everyone, long time since I posted anything, ok I need a bit of help i just went today for an interview on tesco distribution centre in weybridge everything was ok and they gave me the assesment day for this monday bank holiday at 5 am i am pretty nervous they told me they’re very hard testing your reversing well for the last month I’ve been driving most 7.5t and 12t doing multidrops and I’ve done some shunting at nights for agencies but I have not been driving artics, I just booked a training session with my old training school for tomorrow but only 2 hours, I’m find driving forwards but when it comes to reversing well thats a different story I only know how to reverse to a bay the typical reversing exercise on the driving test but tesco will assest you in many different situations like blind side reversing and diagonal parking in a spot, has anyone done it I’m pretty sure must of you have is there any tricks apart from taking it slowly, I know I would have time tomorrow to ask the instructor but you guys that live in the real world may know a few more tricks, ahhh! one more thing If you pass the reverse they take you for a store delivery any tricky ones out there close to weybridge that you know of or you have done a delivery for tesco and of course if there is anyone out there that will like to make a few extra quids in the weekend teaching me the tricks I will really appreciated cause the training school can only give me 2 hours and I’m not sure if that is enough bearing in mind that I haven’t touch an artic for 8 weeks now, any help will be appreciated…thanks everyone and I’ll be waiting for your comments…

Relax I have done the assessment, and it involves a store delivery usually one of the easy ones. You pick the trailer up at the D.C with the assessor he will watch you couple up and make your checks off to the store do the delivery, lots of mirrors and two hands on the wheel and back to the D.C park the trailer up either on a dock or a space. I am fairly certain you will not be asked to blindside or park diagonal you will be assessed on your driving ability the assessor will show you what is expected when it comes to taking the full cages off and empty ones on. I did o.k and my reversing after 21 years is nothing to write home about. good luck :smiley:

Also don’t listen to the other posts, the white lines have addled their brains. :smiley:

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

Almost correct - a super hot mug of boling water is put between the drivers legs and if it spills then the assessor knows by how much by the pitch of the scream :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I heard it was a couple of straw bales and an electric heater…brake too hard and more than your disc’s will smoke!!

Paulc:
Just be careful if you do the Pitsea store.

youtube.com/watch?v=ybhQRjlJq24

Mind you when you watch the next clip you can see why they are so tough on your assessement drive, but how did some of these guys slip thourgh the net :blush:

youtube.com/watch?v=k4_n0Q2IhPw

Just googled that store, how the hell he got to that angle in beyond me! it’s a simple drive in and straight back!

Rosbergg:

never done a tesco assement ,but we did do a cpc course the other day on how to do the job the tesco way.
must use trailer steps, dont jump out back of trailer like me.
3 points of contact when you get out of cab-not sure how you hold bag
must put on dog clip before tug test ,not after tug test, as if your driving a 700 hp volvo youll shoot out front if jaws arnt engaged properly, dropping trailer on knees and hitting nearest object[chances of driving 700 hp volvo for tesco :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
from what i heard its just do the job by the book, not how you do it in real world.
best of luck

ady1:
never done a tesco assement ,but we did do a cpc course the other day on how to do the job the tesco way.
must use trailer steps, dont jump out back of trailer like me.
3 points of contact when you get out of cab-not sure how you hold bag
must put on dog clip before tug test ,not after tug test, as if your driving a 700 hp volvo youll shoot out front if jaws arnt engaged properly, dropping trailer on knees and hitting nearest object[chances of driving 700 hp volvo for tesco :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
from what i heard its just do the job by the book, not how you do it in real world.
best of luck

Another DCPC anomaly, the HSE have other ideas, so maybe when it all goes wrong the Tesco CPC will be done correctly

The trailer handbrake must be applied (if fitted). Using a
trailer not fitted with a handbrake is only acceptable
when the trailer’s air brakes are fail-safe or there are
other measures to stop the trailer moving.
For automatic coupling:

• the cab should be reversed slowly under the trailer,
    with the ‘kingpin’ lined up to the locking mechanism.
    Listen to hear the fifth wheel lock onto the kingpin.
    For manual coupling:
  • reverse the vehicle into place;
  • make sure that the parking brakes are applied; and
  • manually attach the locking mechanism.
    Do a ‘tug test’ — try to drive forward slowly in a low gear
    to check that the fifth wheel is engaged.
    Make sure that the parking brakes are applied.
    Inspect the locking mechanism to make sure it is
    secure.
    Fit any safety clips.
    Connect all brake hoses and the electrical supply to the
    trailer. Check that they are secure.
    Wind up any landing legs on the trailer and secure the
    handle.
    Fit the number plates and check that the lights work.
    Release the trailer handbrake (if there is one).

You reverse under the trailer gently after checking the parking brake is on & fifth wheel height is correct, listen for the click, tug forward and at no time during that time can the truck shoot out and drop the trailer on its knees whether it is 700hp or a 180 Gardner. The trailer legs are still on the ground.

The more you rely on the dog clip to prevent you hitting the nearest object shows how little the “trainer” understands. :open_mouth:

did a tesco assesment and it did have a blind side reverse. was at livingston tho.

ady1:
must put on dog clip before tug test ,not after tug test, as if your driving a 700 hp volvo youll shoot out front if jaws arnt engaged properly, dropping trailer on knees and hitting nearest object

How exactly would the trailer drop on it’s knees when the legs haven’t been wound up at that point? Also, if the jaws aren’t engaged properly you are unlikely to get the dog clip in. Sounds like a case of yet another trainer who is a complete trumpet. :unamused: :unamused:

That youtube clip of Pitsea shows what dildoes are out there driving a truck. I’ve done that store and it’s one of the easiest you’ll find! Loadsa room!

–bob–:
did a tesco assesment and it did have a blind side reverse. was at livingston tho.

i did it on bay 94 and tbh, it wasnt my best ever. fortunately i redeemed myself at coatbridge by almost doing it in a single manoeuvre. just needed a shunt to straighten up

NB when you do the tug test, do it twice!