Help me out with some stats, guys

Hi everyone,

Currently embroiled in a debate on pistonheads with the usual culprits who can’t drive and who think truckers are the root of all evil.

Someone has posted some stats which indeed purport to show that truckers are the root of all evil, and the biggest killers on the road to boot. :slight_smile:

Now i’ve posted stats on that site manny a time which show the opposite, but for the life of me i can’t seem to find them. I’ve seen stats which show that when expressed over distance, the accident/fatality rate of trucks is no more, or less than, that of cars. But I can’t find them. (I don’t think I’ve imagined them :slight_smile:)

I’ve had a right google but can’t seem to find what i’ve seen before. Does anyone here have a link to rta stats which show a true picture of what’s going on out there on the roads? Grateful for any help, thanks folks.

MM

I wonder if the Office for National Statistics would have those figures :bulb:

The same thing used to happen on Honest John, and I used to post links on here so guys could join in and counter argue, (Why don’t you do the same■■?) but the admins got ■■■■■■ off on HJ, and promptly banned me. :laughing: :laughing: Now I’ve got a non static ip, I went back on and registered under a new name and am still there. :grimacing:

Seemingly they didn’t want facts and figures posting, but wanted a one sided argument. :confused:

Ken.

I think trucks are involved in far fewer accidents on the roads, don’t know where the statistics you seek are. They are usually more serious though with longer closures and more loss of life involved which gives the public the view that trucks are responsible for more down time on the roads. Add to that the fact that some truck accidents involve car drivers who put themselves in a position where the truck has no chance to stop or avoid them and this skews the stats even further. I wouldn’t post a link to the thread as it would just turn in to a flame war. Some people who drive trucks are idiots, some people who drive fast cars are idiots, generalisation is the tool of the idiot, tell them that, may shut them up for a while.

Statistics produced by the DfT. It’s for 2006, though I would imagine the figures are broadly comparable.

Light goods vehicles (white van man) involved in 24 accidents per 100million km travelled

HGVs involved in 39 accidents per 100km travelled

Cars involved in 67 accidents per 100km travelled.

Any help?

larsoa.org.uk/larsoa_archive … /covir.pdf

statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/E … /D4031.xls

statistics.gov.uk/default.asp

And of course the information the other side seek, the name is apt “Crystal” That means it is “Balls”

crystal-claims.co.uk/Motorwa … stics.html

Found this a while back, I think it was on this site…In 2007, there were 247,780 casualties resulting from accidents on British roads, of which 14,620 involed a HGV, which is less than 6 percent. Out of that “less than 6 percent”, not all of those were caused by HGV drivers. Unfortunately, the percenage of accidents involving a HGV that were caused by the HGV driver are unavailable, but clearly not all accidents were caused by HGV drivers. On the other hand, there were more casualties involving PCV’s, but I don’t recall seeing a campaign by you to change the practices of bus and coach drivers.

albion:
Statistics produced by the DfT. It’s for 2006, though I would imagine the figures are broadly comparable.

Light goods vehicles (white van man) involved in 24 accidents per 100million km travelled

HGVs involved in 39 accidents per 100km travelled

Cars involved in 67 accidents per 100km travelled.

Any help?

Hi, thanks for your help guys. Albion, you wouldn’t have a link to those stats, would you?

And Rog, didn’t you used to post on Pistonheads with advanced driving advice, or was that another Rog? I noticed he doesn’t post there anymore.

And no, Silver Surfer, I would never post a link to this site. Some of the comments you read on that site are breathtaking - you know, there are people who nearly have an accident every time they go out, and it’s ALWAYS the other guys’ fault.

I’m a bit frustrated though, 'cos I just can’t seem to find the same sites or sources of stats that i’ve seen before and have posted links to. :frowning:

Oh yes, and i saw this one crystal-claims.co.uk/Motorwa … stics.html . Trucks are 8% of m’way traffic? Really? :confused:

Mixermerc:
And Rog, didn’t you used to post on Pistonheads with advanced driving advice, or was that another Rog? I noticed he doesn’t post there anymore.

I cannot remember !!! - can you link to any post by that ROG please ?

Personally I wouldn’t bother arguing with people like that because as far as they are concerned they are perfect drivers and everybody else is a menace, that’s why they have crashes, never thier fault. :unamused:

But if you wish to keep going these might help.

https://www.lbp.police.uk/freedom-of-information/publications/L%20%20B%20road%20crash%20statistics.pdf

Page 15 has the bit you want, “only 34% of cases the HGV driver was deemed to be at fault”.

Of course they’ll come up with the statistic that so many anti truck groups like to use which is the high proportion of HGV collision that are fatal. But that’s down to physics and has nothng to do with HGV drivers being worse than other drivers.

I had similar discussion recently, so I am prepared. But this is for 2008 in Poland:

Translation:
Vehicle of the guilty party | Accidents | Killed | Injured

Bicycle

Powered bicycle

Motorbike

Car | 29745 | 2762 | 40908

Bus | Public transport

Other
HGV

| With trailer | 942 | 128 | 1274

Farm tractor

Slow moving vehicle

Tramway or Trolleybus

Other vehicle

Unknown vehicle

I won’t copy all numbers, but you can easy take them from the picture.

Note: Poland has almost no motorways, most of the trunk roads are single carriage roads, often with hard shoulders. Poland due to it’s geographic position is transit country, much heavier traffic of foreign registered vehicles (mostly lorries) than in UK.

Source: Polish police: policja.pl/dokumenty/zalaczniki/1-46733.pdf

Maybe that will be some additional ammo :wink:

Couldn’t find the exact place in Dft, but try this one which is broadly giving you the same stats,b ut you have to do a bit of work yourself

dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/da … actsheets/

On right hand side it says ‘downloads’. Click on third one down, Goods vehicle accidents and casualties, and open up table 7.

Good luck :wink:

Mixermerc:
Hi everyone,

Currently embroiled in a debate on pistonheads with the usual culprits who can’t drive and who think truckers are the root of all evil.

Someone has posted some stats which indeed purport to show that truckers are the root of all evil, and the biggest killers on the road to boot. :slight_smile:

Now i’ve posted stats on that site manny a time which show the opposite, but for the life of me i can’t seem to find them. I’ve seen stats which show that when expressed over distance, the accident/fatality rate of trucks is no more, or less than, that of cars. But I can’t find them. (I don’t think I’ve imagined them :slight_smile:)

I’ve had a right google but can’t seem to find what i’ve seen before. Does anyone here have a link to rta stats which show a true picture of what’s going on out there on the roads? Grateful for any help, thanks folks.

MM

orys:
I had similar discussion recently, so I am prepared. But this is for 2008 in Poland:

Translation:
Vehicle of the guilty party | Accidents | Killed | Injured

Bicycle

Powered bicycle

Motorbike

Car | 29745 | 2762 | 40908

Bus | Public transport

Other
HGV

| With trailer | 942 | 128 | 1274

Farm tractor

Slow moving vehicle

Tramway or Trolleybus

Other vehicle

Unknown vehicle

I won’t copy all numbers, but you can easy take them from the picture.

Note: Poland has almost no motorways, most of the trunk roads are single carriage roads, often with hard shoulders. Poland due to it’s geographic position is transit country, much heavier traffic of foreign registered vehicles (mostly lorries) than in UK.

Source: Polish police: policja.pl/dokumenty/zalaczniki/1-46733.pdf

Maybe that will be some additional ammo :wink:

Thanks for your help guys, and thanks for this info on Poland, Orys. It’s nice to get some proper information about another country. :slight_smile:

One easy way to put it:

Truck accidents are so rare that like murders in the UK, they always make the news.
Car accidents are so common that like murders in New York, they don’t make the news.

Also…

450,000 UK registered HGVs, 33,000,000 UK registered cars. It ain’t us causing the traffic jams.