I expect a thousand replies! continued

**PLEASE REFER TO OLD FORUM:

trucknetuk.com/bbsuk/Forum1/HTML/003482.html

Johnny, how I wish I could!

Sad though it may seem(!), I’m even considering writing a light-hearted booklet that highlights the worst habits of todays drivers. Carefully written and illustrated, I’m convinced it would prove successful.

Perhaps you could all let me have your own list of pet-hates on the roads? This will help me build a database that could possibly be put into general circulation. Think carefully over the coming days & weeks about what REALLY gets you and let me know, by e-mail if possible.

“The TruckNet Solution”!!!

This all makes me sound like a know-it-all on the road, and that is not my intention. Education is what is needed to make everyone aware of how they behave.

Conor, I see where you’re coming from, but I re-iterate my earlier point at the old forum where I said that we’re all guilty of tarring drivers with same brush. My vehicle is dealer-serviced every 10k miles; we have our control over working hours, and believe me we all want to be home as much as possible; aggression exists in many not all, and some of us have no desire to get in front of trucks regardless of risk.

JonathanB100, rest assured I intend accepting one of the kind offers of a drive with one of you to REALLY see what goes on. I think it’ll be invaluable.

PLEASE GUYS GIVE MY EARLIER COMMENT SOME THOUGHT AND LET ME KNOW YOUR PET DRIVING HATES??

Well Mr Rep, I’m glad to see you’ve got over your original misconceptions about our industry, and I wish the missus well in her day behind the wheel of a truck.

TNT trucker has started a new thread about pet hates, have you had a look?

Dazza :smiling_imp:

No Dazza but thanks, I’ll take a look…

Got to reply to some of the points in the original thread.

Originally posted by CuriousRep:
Ok you’ve been shopping. I forgive your tone.

And this was exactly the tone that I saw in your original posting, the title alone “I expect a thousand replies!!!” was certainly inflamatory. You EXPECT. No “would be nice to get…”. Further aggrevated by:-

…I admit to getting VERY frustrated at truck drivers who insist on overtaking another and completely blocking the centre lane

Not some, a few or most just truck drivers. You wouldn’t have been addressing the comments to no truckdrivers so logically they were directed at all. The exact same as I did and was informed that:-

This was actually a genuine question and not meant as a criticism, and certainly did not warrant such a damned ignorant response…Instead you chose to lambast and belittle ‘reps’.

No It was not presented as a question I saw it as a rant. If It was a question then a “please” or “I wonder” would have indicated it as such.

When I put my reply, some of which was empathic with your situation, some of the things that frustrate me and my colleagues every day( In a bid to get you to find what I believe the answer to your original question for yourself) you reply with:-

I could respond to each of your childish, bullish and preposterous comments, but likewise I consider it a waste of my time.

Didn’t that just reinforce the stereotype for reps. If I gave you credit for being able to see the link and come to the conclusion that it is the selfish, aggressive, stuff every one else mind set that is becoming so evident that is the cause of many of our frustrations. That is a position that I have posted on these, or at least the former forums, more than once. Here are the links, have a look at the dates.

trucknetuk.com/bbsuk/Forum1/HTML/002375.html

trucknetuk.com/bbsuk/Forum1/HTML/003362.html

From these you may be able to see that I and I would think many more people respond better to good manners than torrents of criticism and abuse.

Pet hate, how about salesreps who call themselves sales managers or international sales managers.
I saw a job advert locally for an international sales manager who would earn £12,000, a job of great responsibility obviously. :smiling_imp:

Wiretwister, the subject line “…I EXPECT…” was not meant in that vein. It was meant “I expect there will be…”. I’ll be more explicit next time, and offer apologies for the obvious offence I caused.

I have no desire whatsoever to argue with either you or anybody else, and feel that I have eaten my fair share of humble pie. I think the reply from Dazza sums this up, as does my posting on the old forum thanking all for their info.

At the end of the day, we’re all in the same boat doing a similar job with similar dislikes :angry:

And to answer Alan, I totally agree! Unfortunately, we (as much as many of you) are at the mercy of the employer and HAVE to be called what they decide. Personally, my ‘official’ title is Area Sales Manager because I manage sales in an area. Whenever I discuss my job with others, I’m just a ‘rep’. Happy?! :slight_smile:

from a truck driver to a car driver

why do you feel that some not all car drivers when they see a truck indicating to pull out into lane 2 of a 3 lane motorway that they have to accelerate and fill the gap the truck was going into even though lane 3 is empty.

also do you feel its right that sales reps like yourself can drive london to glasgow and have a meeting then drive back to london.what would you say to driving hours being imposed on sales reps.

sorry tired and in needof sleep

jon

Once again, I have to agree. But once again it comes back to (as you say) some, not all. I have MANY hates on the road and motorway etiquette is one of them. Why do people not respect the lane system anymore? Why are the overtaking lanes simply used as cruising lanes at any speed drivers see fit?

As for limited driving hours, I cannot imagine what that must be like. Suffice to say that I would rather do less than more!

CuriousRep:
Once again, I have to agree. But once again it comes back to (as you say) some, not all. I have MANY hates on the road and motorway etiquette is one of them. Why do people not respect the lane system anymore? Why are the overtaking lanes simply used as cruising lanes at any speed drivers see fit?

Just into this forum, so forgive me if its already been said elsewhere.
I watched a programme around 8-9 months ago that was about driving standards in this country as opposed to other countries and i remember them saying that under close investigation and surveys done, most (around 75% i recall) of middle lane drivers on motorways gave two answers as to why they did it. first , they were under the impression that the inside lane was for lorries only as they had only seen Lorries in them, and second favorite answer was they only used the middle lane because they had no experience of driving on a motorway and felt safer in the middle of the road. and of those 75%, half were drivers that had passed in the last four years, and the other half were drivers that passed over thirty years ago.

tells me that there should be Motorway driving in the general driving tests

I get fed up of middle laner’s i have now given up and much to the annoyance of my wife pass them on the inside ( tinhat on ).
agree should have to have a M/way test before you are allowed on it.

Dafman:
I get fed up of middle laner’s i have now given up and much to the annoyance of my wife pass them on the inside ( tinhat on ).
agree should have to have a M/way test before you are allowed on it.

:smiling_imp: Afraid to say that sometimes I do the same in my car - ought to start a thread to see how many others get fed up and do the same - we could use it as our defence in court!! :smiling_imp:

Part of the Pass Plus scheme involves motorway tuition, but…

I’ve yet to see anyone on a Pass Plus course doing any more than 55 anywhere else than lane one from one junction to the next one down.