Accident statistics

Morning all :slight_smile:
Wondering if anyone can help? Where would I find the stats for accidents from last year involving trucks, that then gave a percentage of where the truck driver was to blame?
I know that sadly standards of driving in our industry have gone downhill, but, I’m getting hacked off with a car forum I go on regularly slating truck drivers at being useless, etc, etc.
some people make valid points, elephant racing and the like, but surprise, surprise there’s alot of drivel on there, probably from people who have no concept of trucks, and the industry.
thanks in advance :wink:

You might find it on the ‘freedom of information’ if someone has already asked that question then the answer will be on the net somewhere, or else ask it yourself. It takes ages to get a reply but you will only get the reply for the question you ask specifically. For example:

1. Sir, can you give me the statistics for blameworthy road traffic accidents involving vehicles of 3.5 tonnes GVW; 7.5 tonnes GVW; Class C vehicles; Class C+E between January 2009 and jan 2012 or as they are published in each year.

They might not have this information anyway, the stats that I get sent each year are for cars only…I could give you them

Thanks, and yes please.

chilistrucker:
Thanks, and yes please.

gov.uk/government/collectio … statistics

Have a look at this, theres all kinds of stats, from airplane movements, car, bus, hgv it’s probably what you were loking for

it’s something i see on here a fair bit - standards dropping - but are they? is it a bit of rose tinted glasses? or is it the technology that will allow someones ■■■■ up to be shared with the masses in minutes?

stevieboy308:
it’s something i see on here a fair bit - standards dropping - but are they? is it a bit of rose tinted glasses? or is it the technology that will allow someones [zb] up to be shared with the masses in minutes?

That Stevieboy is the million dollar question…I’ve trained every type of driver on all types of vehicles and it basically boils down to forward planning and observation, or lack of it! And the amount of vehicles on the road

Rog will probably back me up on this as he’s IAM’s. If you can get someone to look a mile ahead and to the sides and rear and make a driving plan based on what’s happening all around them, then you can reduce accidents by HUGE amounts.

Attitude comes into the fold too, you could be the best driver in the world, but come up to a cross roads where you have the green light and go through without looking for the idiot driving tired or on autopilot who’s about to cave the side of your car in by not even seeing their red light, and your in for spell in Hospital if not worse.

There are 3 types of driver:

1. The rule breaker…he wont care what happens, the rules don’t apply to him

2. The Auto pilot driver…done the journey so often, he can’t even remember the last 5 minutes

3. Being Human…We all make mistakes

You could be involved in any of the above, this is a whole days training to cover the question you ask. Identify the hazards, prioritise them and then decide what your going to do about it.

I could go on and on and on, but I wont… :open_mouth:

I’m not sure the information you are after is actually recorded in any one place. The Department for Transport only gets the detailed info from Police (and other agencies) when death or injury is involved. There will be a whole shedload of quite significant damage-only collisions which never get formally reported to the DfT (even if police are involved and drivers are prosecuted) and loads more which never get reported to anyone at all.