Hello

Just wanted to say ‘hello’ to everyone, and to say how much I’ve enjoyed visiting the site since I found it. I don’t drive a truck for a living, in fact I haven’t even passed my LGV, but I am going to do the lessons etc even if I don’t do anything with it for a while other than a bit of weekend work.

I also wanted to apologise for my answer on the ‘stopped by the old bill’ piece I looked at my answer again and it does seem a bit patronising, just put it down to newbie high-spirits.

Anyway, this site has been a breath of fresh air for a ‘desk jockey’ and even if I can’t drive a truck for a living at least I can enjoy other people’s experiences/stories.

Best wishes to all of you out there, hoping you keep safe and sound.

Hi and welcome to Trucknet Taxman :smiley:

Has your username got anything to do with your desk job? :question:

Its nice to know who to ask questions when answers are required :smiley:

Anyhow enjoy the site, we all do!! :smiley: :wink:

I really hope it does TC and going by a post in the OD forum that taxman made I think it does.

Once again welcome to TruckNet UK taxman and I’m sure you will be a mine of useful information to us all on here.

Well I might as well be first.
First taxman hello and welcome.
Second If I gross £590 a week what would i expect to pay in PAYE tax on a 474L taxcode? :open_mouth:

Cheer,

Flub

flub007:
Well I might as well be first.
First taxman hello and welcome.
Second If I gross £590 a week what would i expect to pay in PAYE tax on a 474L taxcode? :open_mouth:

Cheer,

Flub

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley:
He hasn’t even warmed his seat yet!!!

I do work in tax and I feel a bit guilty that I haven’t answered some of the tax -related queries on here already, like the one on items purchased for the cab, used for nights away or whether to trade via a limited company.

Acutally, the items for the cab is an interesting problem, the case raised concerning the lady solicitor is relevant, however the Revenues argument there I believe involved the principle of duality of purpose, whereby they can disallow expenditure on the basis that it involves personal use. Also, I need to look into what the overnight allowance is meant to cover from the Revenue’s perspective.

Basically, my reasoning so far is that as your cab is your place of work (irish authorities ban on smoking in the workplace) then you could argue that the expenditure was incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of your employment. Unfortunately, whilst wholly and exclusively is sufficient for self-employment, it is not sufficient for employment, where the expenses have to be, wholly, exclusively and ‘necessarily’ incurred. So whilst the duvet and cooking equipment etc could be considered relevant, there maybe a problem over the entertainment equipment. Also, there is usually a problem in claiming an employment expense if the employer is not prepared to meet the expense, this is a kind of catch-all used by the Revenue to argue that if it was wholly, exclusively and necessarily incurred, why didn’t the employer meet the expense. From an agency perspective this is fairly obvious, but not so with those of you in employment

Also remember that some items will be subject to capital allowances and not given as a straight-forward deduction.

I will answer some of these queries, but I’m on holiday tomorrow so I won’t be looking at them again until next weekend.

Hiya taxman,now I will moan about all the tax we all pay over the years bla,bla,bla, , :wink:

Hello Taxman, welcome to Trucknet. :laughing:

Welcome to trucknet Taxman.

Opps, I’m a bit late here…

Welcome to TruckNetUK Taxman… Glad to have you on board…

And dont get to caught up in answering everyones questions and forget about asking your own… Good luck when you take your lessons mate, and keep us informed as you how your getting on… and dont forget, any questions, just ask away…

Enjoy the site mate… and welcome again

Hi Taxman and Welcome to TrucknetUK from me as well :smiley: .

Hello taxman. Until 3 years ago it was my job too. HMIT Pontefract to be exact. I did my class 1 and 2 on flexi days off. i now earn lots more and have no stress. Go for it.